How much are you reasonably willing to spend on hunting each year?

blackdawg

WKR
Through the 90’s as a single fella, I budgeted $1500 a month for my hunting and fishing. Ahhh,, memories of the good life before wife’s and kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does surviving the cost of living around Denver count just so I can afford the resident tag prices ? If so about $12000 a year.

EDW

FNG
More than I expected. Sitting down and figuring it in dollars and cents surprised me. I hunt primarily in three states and when you include lodging it exceeds $5,000. I enjoy every penny spent.

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Whatever number one considers "reasonable" today, I can assure you that the stated number will increase as the process of age starts to limit our health; as the hunts in the front windshield become less in number than the number of hunts we see in our rearview mirror. As we lose more friends and family members who always said, "Next year...," we realize that sometimes next year doesn't come.

As I warn younger hunters or those inclined to pass on hunts they could do this year, "Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

sneaky

"DADDY"
One meeellion dollars! (Laughing in background). Ok ok, one beeeeeellion dollars!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
Whatever number one considers "reasonable" today, I can assure you that the stated number will increase as the process of age starts to limit our health; as the hunts in the front windshield become less in number than the number of hunts we see in our rearview mirror. As we lose more friends and family members who always said, "Next year...," we realize that sometimes next year doesn't come.

As I warn younger hunters or those inclined to pass on hunts they could do this year, "Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

I’ve used your quote on my wife several times over the last few years.

OP
Newtosavage

I've often said how much I regret waiting until I was 45 before I started elk hunting. Always looked too expensive to me before that. Now I realize that I would have put other things aside in order to go if I had it to do all over again.

FURMAN

WKR
Are you counting everything? Tags, gas, gun powder, bullets, rifles, taxidermy, airfare, etc? I would hate to sit down and actually calculate. Probably around 15k.

Wrench

WKR
About 20% of my net income. I'm always tying everything to hunting....might be gear, vehicles, vacation.....it's just what I do.

“Reasonably willing to spend” ha! Way past reasonable!

I have worked on the road for nearly 9 years where my lodging, food, vehicle, gas, etc expenses are covered. Rough lifestyle but basically zero living expenses is a good perk. I have set requirements for $ invested every year and a conservative rainy day fund. After that money is covered I spend what I want until I see things get a little tight.

2016 was a banner year with a great bonus and some very lucky crypto investments. My splurge was booking a sheep hunt. In 2019 I expect to spend $30k+. I know if I ever want to hunt dall sheep it had to happen before I had a wife to convince $20k+ on a hunt isn’t absurd. Most years are probably closer to $10-12k.

Huntnfmly

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 daughters that hunt so I mentally block out the amount of their hunts and taxidermy bills but unfortunately I keep waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat when I remember😅

Jon Boy

WKR

I've always appreciated this piece of advice Randy, and I may have taken it to heart more than you intended! At 26 I've hunted 5 states and hunted every species but sheep, moose, grizzly and goat. As far as how much I spend- probably around 2k for new gear and tags. I dont work during october or november so if you count the money I dont make as well as the money I spend I'm sure its some where around 10k. I work as much as I can the rest of the year to make up for it.

Last edited:

isu22andy

WKR

Best piece of advice on the thread.

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
As an “old” guy I can’t agree enough with the comments about hunting when you are healthy. I should have planned better.

I had my bucket list, I’m sure like most of you, but didn’t think it through well enough.

Ever since I was a kid I had dreams of different hunting trips, with Alaska and Africa being the big ones. In my late 40s I got serious about putting money together to do a big hunt, the kids were moving out of the house so saving money wasn’t so hard

I made plans to go to Africa and did, Alaska would be put on hold

Now, I’m financially able to put together an Alaska trip, but health issues make the reality of an Alaska hunt out of the question. Due to the physical demands of sheep hunting or packing moose

My point is, hunt when your young, but plan the more physical hunts first. If I would have done Alaska first, I could be doing the less demanding Africa hunt now

I think each trip is around 1500 total with tags and all, and i try to do 2 trips minimum a year. I love hunting and would spend my last dollar on a new piece of hunting gear if it came to that

If my wife wants a vacation she pays for it. Although our tax return goes in a vacation fund for her dumb vacation ideas.[/QUOTE]

Im just rolling

I have no idea.... It's either too much or not enough.
I know that I should, but I don't really count gas. I'm going to buy it regardless.

2018 probably put me around the $7-10k mark (excluding gas) with Colorado hunt, SC in state licenses, and Alabama non-res license. Killed my 1st elk this year and counted this deer season as the 2nd in 22 years that I did not kill a whitetail. The sad part about that is that I had from September to February to make a kill between SC and AL.

gdpolk

Lil-Rokslider
I spend what I can afford to comfortably while making sure my family is taken care of first. I know your looking for a number but the reality is:
  1. I have no idea because I don't keep track of it
  2. It varies greatly from year to year depending on where I go and what I hunt or if I get a new toy or not. Most years I do nothing out of state. Most years I get no new weapons. Often I get no new clothing. Sometimes I get to do all of the above and all at once.
  3. Part of what I spend while hunting can't really be all considered "hunting funds" because I'll be going with family during large get togethers with distant relatives and half of the time is spent hunting but half is spent hanging out with family during paid time off work...is that a hunting trip or a family vacation or a little bit of both?