How much are you reasonably willing to spend on hunting each year?

Summit1

FNG
I'm not going to even begin to add it up. With a daughter in college the only time we get to spend hunting is on the weekends, so PLO tags that go through January afford us the most amount of time searching for animals. The gas and windshield time we burn hunting is more than priceless. They print more money every day. Brad

It’s embarrassing so I just don’t add it up. But app process alone is expensive for a NR in 10 states. Bad thing is Texas app process is the cheapest of any of them, for anyone Res or NR.

ChrisAU

WKR
No way I'm adding it up. I'll probably spend $850ish on licenses/tags this year, and that will be a minor expense comparatively. I think I've curbed my firearm spending for the foreseeable future, but I am a gear ho.

I think it is reasonable to spend 10% of your adjusted gross income on hunting.
Could be considered a tithe to the hunting gods.

But I am an unreasonable guy so I think I'm around 15% a year...

Drive beater trucks/cars. Don't spend money eating out and drink water.

I live my normal life very very frugal so I can spend like a moron in the fall...make it rain tags!

Most of my hunting is local to my state on private land so my cost yearly is less than $500. However, on the years I travel out west to chase elk my cost is typically $1500 to $2000.

mdkelley

FNG
$3K or so most years but I it will likely go up now that I have enough vacation time and extra money to hunt the western states!

Diesel

WKR
Do not want to know, really. I love hunting but some years there are higher priorities.

As I look back at all the past hunts, and there were many, the cost was never calculated, it just somehow happened. I never spent big money and always did the DIY method.

The deciding factor was time.

Azone

WKR
If I can line up enough work crazy crap has been known to happen. On the lean years one out of state trip and I'm a happy camper. Fortunately I'm married to a woman who understands my addiction, so the ass chewing really is not as bad compared to what some of my friends deal with. Those poor souls......:cry:

Hunting in my home state is cheap. I have a lifetime license that I bought many years ago and it has paid for itself. So no tag expenditures. My only expenses are fuel and camp ground fees if I stay at an established campground. I don't buy a lot of gear. I usually make one big gear purchase every year, and by big I mean $300-500. I haven't bought a new gun or bow in over 7 years. So, I would say less than $1000/yr.

If I am hunting out of state then price greatly increases with fuel, tags etc. For example, this year since I am going to Alaska, I will probably drop around $6k in hunting.

robie

WKR
Well this turned into the most depressing post in a while. I decided to add up just app fees not including any raffles I throw in for. If you apply across the west you might not want to read this. I really had no clue I was spending quite that much each year to play the game. These numbers aren't perfect but they are close.

fees.JPG

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
Much more than my wife would prefer, but much less than most of my buddies.

I just joined this forum and I have to say you guys make my spending habits look pretty thrifty. I may just turn around and leave before I catch the 5k/year bug...

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am under 1k on a typical year but I just went out of state last year elk hunting otherwise it is sd pheasant hunting every few years if the numbers are up so hopefully this year but who knows with this winter.

Gobbler36

WKR
Do you want to know the number that I told my wife I spent, or the number that I really spent? Cause they are definitely not the same number?

Generally I try to keep my budget to 5k but I have to travel long distances and buy out of state tags for everywhere I go. A good chunk of this is also spent on new gear that I want to try.
You live in a state with elk correct?