How much are you reasonably willing to spend on hunting each year?

Backyard

WKR
Willing to? Or actually spend? So far all I read is how much guys actually spent.
I'm willing to spend about 3 grand, but look for the deals and try not to actually hit that number. Most times, I'm in the green.

NV HUNTER

WKR
Wow !! when you start putting it to paper it is a lot of money. I never really keep track. I love hunting, but now with a daughter playing college softball, a lot more of my money has shifted to chasing her around and watching her play. But i am sure i will do a Nevada mule deer and utah cow elk at the least.

OP
Newtosavage
Some great responses guys. Keep 'em coming. I'm rolling at some of the replies. LOL

Since I started hunting CO every year (the past 4), I figure I spend about $2K/year on hunting, total. Before that, it was closer to $300-400 and most of that was gas to and from small public hunting areas near where I live.

Sounds like the average is probably around $2-3K which is what I was expecting. My plans over the next 10 years, Lord willing, are to budget for $3K and see what that gets me. Once the last kid is out of college, I might make a trip to AK or Canada each year as my reward for getting three kids to adulthood. LOL

tdhanses

WKR
It costs what it costs, just depends where and how many tags I want. Some years I can afford more some years less.

I am willing to spend the amount I have available to me at the time. That said I don’t have enough to go to AK or hunt every state every year. I am more limited by vacation though than money to go hunting. I probably spend $2-3k per year on everything hunting related. I am over that already this year though.

If my wife wants a vacation she pays for it. Although our tax return goes in a vacation fund for her dumb vacation ideas.

KJH

WKR
I've never kept track or wanted to, but I'm sure it averages $8,000-$10,000. Some years quite a bit more, some years a bit less. Most of that is trips to places to hunt and fish. Very little is spent on gear, as I have pretty much everything I need for every place and species I hunt. I hunt Canada at least once every year and sometimes twice. Alaska hunt 3-4 out of every 5 years. Always do 7-10 days hunting ducks in ND, and then chase waterfowl throughout the central flyway. A Caribbean deep sea trip here and there. Chasing walleyes as time allows. Then there is a random year additional hunt if I drew a hail Mary tag someplace or I get a random invite. It all adds up, but hunting/fishing is a priority to me, and I feel its money well spent on living right.

dukhunt

FNG
Two years ago I spent 8K. Last year about 5K. This year depending on what tags I get I think I will be closer to 4K. Problem is Rokslide classifieds keep getting me. For some reason I keep buying chit I don’t need.

tdhanses

WKR
I wonder if the spouse of a Western hunter has ever called into the Dave Ramsey show?

Funny, last year in the elk woods I ran into one of his top executives, had a free signed book show up one day, lol.

Russp17

WKR
So my next question was going to be: "Do you spend more on hunting trips than you do on trips with your spouse?" LOL #confessiontime ha, ha, ha.

My wife and I split our funds for trips/hunting/vacations... So she normally goes on a girl trip with her sister and I let her choose vacation spots. Lucky for me she likes fly fishing so we normally get at least one remote Alaska river trip a year!

OP
Newtosavage
My wife and I split our funds for trips/hunting/vacations... So she normally goes on a girl trip with her sister and I let her choose vacation spots. Lucky for me she likes fly fishing so we normally get at least one remote Alaska river trip a year!

My wife has her annual trip to Vegas with her mom and sisters. That's the one week/year that I feel like I don't know who my wife is, even though we've been together over 30 years. LOL But I don't ask any questions. It worked out though because after enough years of Vegas trips, I had pretty solid ground to stand on when planning my elk hunting trips. ;)

If I had my preference, she would come hunting with me but hunting isn't her thing. Fortunately, she enjoys fishing with me, so we do that together as often as we can.