How much are you reasonably willing to spend on hunting each year?

Gobbler36

WKR
This year with caribou trip in August and hunting back in Idaho it’s gonna be 8-10k 🤮

Mostly around the $2000 mark I’d guess

24 yo-I don't have kids or a wife, so take that into account. But I'll typically spend 5-7k/yr. Going on a BC mountain goat hunt in 2020, which is...ugh, a little more than that. The way I see it, on my deathbed I won't care about items; I'll care special memories/experiences, and the folks I've shared them with. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I do fine for myself, and spend money on the things and experiences that matter to me...which I don't think I'll regret.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
24 yo-I don't have kids or a wife, so take that into account. But I'll typically spend 5-7k/yr. Going on a BC mountain goat hunt in 2020, which is...ugh, a little more than that. The way I see it, on my deathbed I won't care about items; I'll care special memories/experiences, and the folks I've shared them with. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I do fine for myself, and spend money on the things and experiences that matter to me...which I don't think I'll regret.

Go hard man! I did that for about a decade from 24. Got a load of flack from buddies and family, minus my own parents - ignored it. You’ll find who you really are and be ready for the next step in life instead of checking a box from peer pressure which will just line you up for someone that’s not right or a divorce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
Couldn’t of said it better

Ussually around 2-3K but its all relative. I budget for what I want to do and hunting is my vice. I don't spend a bunch of money on other things so if I need to spend more I would be comfortable doing so.

3sdad

FNG
2-4k is my best guess. I figure as long as my hunting expenses don't interfere with my financial responsibility to support my family, then i'm golden.

PA Hunter

WKR
I think I am the winner or biggest loser? I do one big hunt a year Elk or Moose so I blow between $6,000 to $9,000 right there then I throw in a black bear another $1,500 or so them local hunting another $500 or so if I buy new gear another grand. I suppose I just hit $11,000

Adam B

FNG
Now that Colorado is a ever year trip for me I say i spend around 6k-8k A year most on fuel

Nick87

Lil-Rokslider
A lot more than I thought if you actually sit down and add every little thing up!

As far as I’m concerned, you can’t put a price tag on a hunt of a life time (at least that’s what I tell my wife), and fortunately for me, everyone of my hunts is a hunt of a life time.

blackdawg

WKR
Go hard man! I did that for about a decade from 24. Got a load of flack from buddies and family, minus my own parents - ignored it. You’ll find who you really are and be ready for the next step in life instead of checking a box from peer pressure which will just line you up for someone that’s not right or a divorce.

Dead on,, I caved to family pressure and a broad just 7 years into my grand adventure. Got the big D and it Derailed me, restart and full recovery took 15 years, the real adventure hunts “griz, sheep, goat” will be hard to make fly financially and with age now. Live reasonably but if you have dreams I say chase em. Still haven’t heard of anyone that took a dime with em.

Of course the amount spent on any recreational activity like hunting will dramatically vary person to to person. For many, the bigger “cost” is the amount of time that’s required away from work/family, which is why I believe many will choose to pay more for hunts, gear, vehicles etc... to ensure that they maximize the time they have out there and aren’t spending it messing with cheap gear etc.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Dead on,, I caved to family pressure and a broad just 7 years into my grand adventure. Got the big D and it Derailed me, restart and full recovery took 15 years, the real adventure hunts “griz, sheep, goat” will be hard to make fly financially and with age now. Live reasonably but if you have dreams I say chase em. Still haven’t heard of anyone that took a dime with em.

Every guy on here that's in their 20's should take this advice and experience like it's etched in granite. I canceled a wedding 2 weeks out because my guy said this was a bad idea. AND I WAS RIGHT

Work on pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and making yourself better and the right person will show up.

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
The points game will make you cry. Its pretty easy to spend over $1000/year just chasing points. My budget went up when we bought our business. I basically looked at it as a cost of buying the business. My busy season is September-October. If i am going to hunt much (especially deer) it typically takes going out of state or buying a voucher most years as I am limited to rifle season in my home state. We actually talked about this when we purchased the business because I knew it would be an issue and didn't want to not budget for it. I would say somewhere in 5,000-10,000 range is typical depending on how many out state hunts I go on and if I buy a voucher or draw a tag. Some years more depending on the gear I buy. Last year was expensive this year should be much more affordable on gear.
Cheers