How much are you reasonably willing to spend on hunting each year?

cnelk

WKR
My typical year includes hunting 3 states - Colorado/Wyoming/Nebraska - elk/pronghorn/WT/MD.

Probably average $2500/yr depending on the tags I get

WKR
As much as is needed. Its my only hobby so it makes it kind of easy.

zach14

FNG
I am willing to spend more than I do! I am usually in the $1k-$1500 range per year including everything. That number will go up when my kids get older and can come with me on more adventures.

JWP58

WKR
I mean are we counting food? I've got to eat Sept-Jan anyway, so I figure food doesn't count.

I look at it as an investment. I dont have any other hobbies. Big game and bird hunting. Hell I spend about 600 a year feeding two bird dogs.

Last year I bought some expensive gear like the Swaro ATX/BTX 95, parts for a full custom rifle, and another X5 scope. Along with little odds and ends of gear I would guess I spent $13k-14kish just for gear. I don't add up all the apps, raffles, gas, tags, etc. I would guess I was easily north of $17k for everything.

My wife doesn't really care what I spend. I care more then she does. Saving for retirement comes first. I have most of what I want gear wise and want to start hunting more quality hunts. So I will probably switch it up and spend more on vouchers and stuff like that then gear in the coming years.

archp625

WKR
My wife says I can only spend $50. But realistically between Hunting and Fishing, I bet I spend $3000. That's with a boat payment. I included preparing for hunting as well. I spend several weekends shooting sporting clay's to make sure I can shoot ducks coming into my spread.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hunting, fishing and enjoying the remoteness of Alaska and the YT is second only to enjoying life with my wonderful wife and two children...and they are often with me!

Well said! Majority of our trips these days are family trips. While that certainly can increase the cost (we will have to buy 3 tickets to Kodiak twice this year!), it's absolutely also increased our enjoyment.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding the original post, Difficult to quantify, and not sure I'd want to. We do a lot of trips each year with outdoor gear or equipment, many times we are hunting sometihing but not always. Does that stuff count? Tags and licenses are relatively inexpensive for AK residents, but getting off the road generally costs money, be it gas, bush flights, boats or atvs. And for our backpack trips that's just to get where we start walking.

We are blessed with an unconventional schedule that affords more than half the year off work, and I think the time is more important than the money, once essential needs are provided for of course. I would go without a lot of the "stuff" if it meant more opportunities to get out as a family.

Car7x

WKR
Home state hunting land, 3 more years at 31k. Outfitting 2 young family guys for mountain hunting this year, probably 3k, new utv to get us all back in further at our MT place, 13k, trailer 3k...but, ordinarily, probably 2k on gear and tags, not counting the young guys. I don't count much for gas and food 'cause I eat wherever I am and I'm back and forth MN to MT a lot anyway. Add in another 1k for non MT/MN fishing maybe. I plan to find some other states whose seasons compliment my schedule, and I could see some budget creep...

isu22andy

WKR
Id like to think in my head I only spend 2-5k a year but I know its closer to 5-10k a year. Some people like going to sports games, 8 concerts a year, new vehicles, 6 pairs of shoes and fancy clothes and fancy meals every weekend. I like to hunt , it is what it is .

I'm more frugal than some, but invest a lot of time hunting nearly year round. I end up spending easily $2000 every year. That number may move up, and I can cut back now that I have most of my equipment set up in a satifactory manner. I chalk most up to entertainment, and get some value out of the meat and hides. love getting to spend time with some friends and family. I feel it's hard to put a price tag on the value I get out of the experiences.

AT Hiker

FNG
I apply in MT, WY, AZ, UT, CO, NV, NM most every year for multiple species. I’m willing spend whatever it takes to hunt if I’m lucky enough to draw a tag, most years I dont have to worry about it other than the cost of applying.

Id say realistically I’m in the $3-5k range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
If you are even a little bit serious about western big game you are going to spend a crap load. Its a little cheaper further east.

I was spending probably $2k a year when I lived in TX.

Now Im at $500 just for tags in my home state. $900 for a trip to CO. Plus a crap load of gas hunting basically every day Im not working. Probably looking at $3k this year.

Mine is $2500 for general hunting, trapping, and fishing and that includes gas money during the season. Already spent 1/5 of it on trapping.

I will up my budget once I'm out of college and have a new vehicle.