How far is too far?

jmez

WKR
Finch I think the submerging meat would only be done in extreme conditions. In most of the lower 48 if you are a reasonable distance from the trailhead/camp you should be able to get the meat out. They mainly submerge in AK when you get flown in and it could be a couple of weeks before you or you meat gets back out.

OP
ndbwhunter
I'm thankful for the debate in this thread because a newbie like myself has learned a lot. So just to be clear, you guys only submerge meat as a last resort? Also, (not trying to hi-jack) but I think I've read that some game bags are a little TOO breathable and allow flies to blow the meat. Any truth to that? No mention of citric acid, why?

Edit: Just read something about bag recommendations and the ones to stay away from.

Hi-jack away, and keep the questions coming. We're both in the same boat, and can learn a lot from these guys.

OP
ndbwhunter
Exactly, but I decided not to get into the other chemical pluses of using it for fear that it might make newbies complacent in thinking it's a cure all, which it isn't, but it is certainly something to be aware of that can help on a back country hunt as long as someone doesn't solely rely on it. Good link incidentally!

Larry's article on the use of citric acid is very informational. I will definitely be using those tactics no matter where I end up.

Finch I think the submerging meat would only be done in extreme conditions. In most of the lower 48 if you are a reasonable distance from the trailhead/camp you should be able to get the meat out. They mainly submerge in AK when you get flown in and it could be a couple of weeks before you or you meat gets back out.

A very good alternative to submerging is to build a platform over the creek, and place the meat on that. You have air circulation on all sides, and cooler air from the creek itself.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
A very good alternative to submerging is to build a platform over the creek, and place the meat on that. You have air circulation on all sides, and cooler air from the creek itself.
This is what I like to do. We were fortunate enough this year to find a small tree that had branches growing across a creek that was about 4' wide. We hung 3 mule deer from it. Couldn't have asked for a better set up to cool meat.

Rizzy

WKR
If you can bone out and hang your meat in the deep dark shade the day you kill the Elk and then let it hang that night you will be in good shape ;)

If it is blazing hot during the day, you can wrap the meat with your sleeping bag. This will keep it cold while your packing it out in the mid day sun. I have never had to do this though. Has anyone? How did it go?
If I ever do, I will put the meat in my Kifaru meat baggy, then drop the meat baggie in my synthetic sleeping bag, wrap it up with the rest of the bag and put it in my pack. In my experience after I let the meat hang for a night, it doesn't drain/leak much if at all. Especially if it stays cold.
Last season, after letting it hang all night I put my Goat meat in a meat baggie and then in my pack. It was a 8.5 mile pack out so it was in there all day and it didn't leak. This was the first few days of October and it was upper 30s at night and 70s that day.

if you guys do need to use a creek to cool the meat, be diligent in removing it from the garbage or dry bags to keep it dry. it will condensate in there, especially as its first cooling. take advantage of the cold overnight temps to dry the meat. during the day a guy can get pretty creative if need be, once the meat is cool, a stick platform in the shade covered in a space blanket or even sleeping bag can hold that nighttime cold awhile.

Finch

WKR
Thanks guys. I appreciate it! How come I see most pics of everyone's meat hanging low (just off the ground) as opposed high in the air? You don't worry about other critters getting to it?

Finch

WKR
Hi-jack away, and keep the questions coming. We're both in the same boat, and can learn a lot from these guys.
You got that right! I've learned a ton here already. Kinda feel like I'll halfway know what I'm doing on my upcoming hunt.

tttoadman

WKR
If you can bone out and hang your meat in the deep dark shade the day you kill the Elk and then let it hang that night you will be in good shape ;)

If it is blazing hot during the day, you can wrap the meat with your sleeping bag. This will keep it cold while your packing it out in the mid day sun. I have never had to do this though. Has anyone? How did it go?
If I ever do, I will put the meat in my Kifaru meat baggy, then drop the meat baggie in my synthetic sleeping bag, wrap it up with the rest of the bag and put it in my pack. In my experience after I let the meat hang for a night, it doesn't drain/leak much if at all. Especially if it stays cold.
Last season, after letting it hang all night I put my Goat meat in a meat baggie and then in my pack. It was a 8.5 mile pack out so it was in there all day and it didn't leak. This was the first few days of October and it was upper 30s at night and 70s that day.

I have been reluctant to comment on this thread, but I do have some experience with what Rizzy is describing. We use to bow hunt E OR in august. We could have meat in camp for a full 2 weeks and then head home with it. We would get clear nights in the low 30's so it would be a bit better than what the OP is describing. We would hang the meat open at night. before we headed out in the dark, we would take it all down, put it in a pile, and cover it with a pile of sleeping bags. repeat every night. The meat would be frozen on the outside after a few days. Anything other than the cold clear nights put a rinkle in the plan, and you had to head 40 miles to town.

Here is my .02 on the OP. I think a guy has to plan on short hiking the meat to the nearest available creek bottom, even if it is not the most efficient use of time. Get all the meat to this location. Dunk it for a few hours to soak the cold in. hang everything up in the cool creek bottom and start packing loads out. If you haul a load every day, you can employ the hang out at night and blanket during the day while you catch a little rest at base camp prior to making another trip.

I havent had to employ this to this extent. I usually go over the top and get it done with almost no rest. It is always harder than the new guy thinks it is going to be. The last bad packout my brother and I made together: 6x6 down right at dark. 4 miles from camp. We cleaned and boned. We packed the head and all of the gear. This was prior to hunting with meat hauler capable packs and quality kill kits. That was the last time. The hike out was DOWN and UP through 2 canyons and then down to camp. We made it to camp at midnight. We slammed some food, dressed up our feet a little and headed back out with frame packs. We split the whole bull and made it back to camp by about 9AM.

Here is what I learned from that:
If you are not using top quality gear(boots, pack,...), you can only really make this haul once. Don't discount that you are spent by the time you start. I had already covered about 8 miles that day before he shot this bull. Smaller trips are tiring, but you are likely safer from injury and you don't tear up your feet as bad(me anyway).

I am sure there is more, but most has been covered by guys more experienced than me. I just wanted to share.

Beendare

WKR
Some good responses. If I were you i would rent a horse with a packsaddle and tow it along with a UL camp. You can make a big loop and then get an animal out easier.

Bar

Banned
OP, do what you want it's your hunt. Don't believe anybody that says it can't be done. Don't believe anyone that says it is common practice. A properly cared for elk (deer, bear, moose, squirrel) will last for DAYS if cared for properly, in temps that most here would cry about. A lot of these computer jockey's are just that, backseat drivers. If you have put in the time training, know your limits, have a plan (or 3-4 like I generally do) and willing to bust your ass, have at it. It can be done. Usually experience is the best learning technique.

Worst advice i've ever seen.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't call anyone names (never do), didn't belittle anyone (no reason to), and more importantly I wouldn't have even commented if if hadn't been for a majority of the previous 100+ comments being so negative and condescending. You will NEVER get booted for giving your opinion. You won't get deleted unless you harass and badger with negativity, swearing, etc. As a whole this is a great group of people that rightfully so get a little emotional about a sport that they are passionate about. I'm NOTHING special.....but I know my limits and I know what I can do. I also know that there are a lot of people out there that are a lot tougher than I am when it comes to the pack out, or mountain climbing, so for you and everyone else on here to badger the OP the way you all have is disheartening. I'm all for education.....unfortunately a majority here are not educating, they have been driving a negative or can't do agenda. Maybe some here can't, but some can. I guess all I can say is let's try and keep a positive attitude when giving our thoughts. My apologies if I hurt your feelings or offended you.

Bar

Banned
Go ahead and elaborate, I'm all ears.

To start off the OP asked for our opinions. Otherwise I don't generally don't give them. He doesn't know his limits. It's his first elk hunt. I thought what he was planning would be pretty tough for a new elk hunter. It became even more obvious after those who have hunted the area described how rough it was. Especially, the blow down. I've hauled elk out of blowdown, and it will sap your energy fast.

12 miles in is a long way to get a bull out alone. Forget the meat spoilage, and just consider the work it is at the end of a long hunt if it worked out that way. He could already be dog tired when he shoots a bull. To then make 4 trips out is asking a lot from anybody. Especially, from someone who hasn't taken an elk out at all. He doesn't know what work it is, and how much he can do. Will power will only take you so far.

I finally suggested he look for another area that would be less demanding. It didn't sound like the area he was thinking about is that good anyway. Is it even worth all the work? Let his first elk hunt be more fun. Not a test in manhood. Shoot an elk is an easier to hunt unit. Skin it out, and haul it out. Then he'll know what that takes. have fun, and enjoy the hunt. Then he can try a harder hunt the next year. At least then he'll know what he's up against.

btw At no time did I belittle him. I gave him the same advice i'd give a close friend.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand what you are saying. I'm asking you to elaborate on your "Worst advice ever" comment :)

gelton

WKR
I didn't call anyone names (never do), didn't belittle anyone (no reason to), and more importantly I wouldn't have even commented if if hadn't been for a majority of the previous 100+ comments being so negative and condescending. You will NEVER get booted for giving your opinion. You won't get deleted unless you harass and badger with negativity, swearing, etc. As a whole this is a great group of people that rightfully so get a little emotional about a sport that they are passionate about. I'm NOTHING special.....but I know my limits and I know what I can do. I also know that there are a lot of people out there that are a lot tougher than I am when it comes to the pack out, or mountain climbing, so for you and everyone else on here to badger the OP the way you all have is disheartening. I'm all for education.....unfortunately a majority here are not educating, they have been driving a negative or can't do agenda. Maybe some here can't, but some can. I guess all I can say is let's try and keep a positive attitude when giving our thoughts. My apologies if I hurt your feelings or offended you.

Refreshing to see a moderator come out in support of a guy that is getting ganged up on...and not just the op but also Travis1984. Not saying that either one of em are 100% right but they have a right to say it or ask it without being chastised. Hell, on paper, I thought I could do things in the area that I hunt that once you get there and see it you know right away the things you thought you could do when looking at a map are next to impossible once you get out there, but thats okay too. Thats why we all have a plan b.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Is it possible? I have no doubt!

SHOULD I try to pull something like this off, no way! Have packed caribou out (less than half the boned out meat of a big bull) and camp in two trips that was 12 miles in. 36 miles that day on relative easy walking 24 with a load makes me think that more than twice the weight in more than twice the difficult walking makes me feels this is not something I would like to undertake.

Sure there are people that can do it no doubt but trying to advise a person that hasn't packed a big game animal out of the woods before that this is a good approach and paint it a rosey picture I think would be misleading.

In the words of the wise Mr. Gump, "And that's all I got to say about that." ;)