How far is too far?

345 kv

FNG
I beleive the farthest you can get from a road in the lower 48. Is in the Thorofare in Wyoming about 18 miles.

njdoxie

WKR
I beleive the farthest you can get from a road in the lower 48. Is in the Thorofare in Wyoming about 18 miles.
But you probably wouldn't walk the same path as the crow flies. Where I hunt elk is 7 - 10 miles as the crow flies from the nearest open road, but you'd never walk the shortest distance as you be doing some serious climbing and descending and then climbing again, I follow the drainages in and out, which is a few miles longer but much easier.

Last edited:

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it can be done. As Aron said never again. That there speaks volumes. His been there done that. Just be careful for the future health of your knees. I'm speaking from lots of experience to all who have posted. I've been a commercial fishermen for 27 years and avid hunter for 34 years. My knees have accelerated arthritis. I'm still backpack hunting with great enjoyment. I'm going to get new knees sooner than later. So good luck and let us know how your hunt goes!!

Corey

Bar

Banned
Very true. I'm 72 now, and have hunted elk every year since I was 12. I was lucky, and lasted a long time, but my knees are shot now. It would be a struggle to hunt for a muley doe now. However, I may still try that this fall. It's still hunting, and better than a rocking chair.