Weight of your rifle support gear?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am curious what the weight is like for other hunters. I feel like my load of 4 pounds for tripod and bags is reasonable for most backcountry hunts. Everything gets a second and third use for me too.

What is your total weight for anything you carry for supporting the weight of your rifle for a shot?

Include tripod, bipod, trekking poles, shooting sticks, bags, etc. if you don’t ever use your tripod, please still include it.

Do not include your pack, but mention if you use it. Include other items that have dual uses like trekking poles, game bags, or tripod.

Tripod with ball head, 3 lbs 14 oz
Trekking poles 1 lb
Triple S Pillow 7 oz
2-5 ultralight 2.5 oz
I use my pack for front and rear support.

Total 5 lbs

huntnful

WKR
I carry a light rear bag that is 4oz. and have a hatch outwest bipod that I believe is 20oz.

If I have to take a long seated shot, I can use my bipod fully extended, with my glassing tripod in the rear. My glassing tripod is 3.5lbs.

huntsd

WKR
running a light weight rear bag for the first time this year. its 5ish ounces. Was nice to have at the range so i hope its worth the weight investment in the field

huntnful

WKR
running a light weight rear bag for the first time this year. its 5ish ounces. Was nice to have at the range so i hope its worth the weight investment in the field
My buddy and I both killed our bucks prone, using my rear bag on our last hunt. It’s nice to have. The whole hunt comes down to making a shot. No need to cut corners for when that opportunity comes IMO.

IMG_6988.jpeg

RRS TFCT-34L w/ Anvil: 5 pounds (plus another half pound for pan head for glassing if we're counting that?)
Pint-Size Gamechanger with Git-Lite fill: 1 pound
Bipod: Ckye Pod Single Pull: 1.5 pounds but I'm very likely leaving it at home from now on

So very likely 6 pounds total moving forward. I'm not nearly as hardcore, hunting style-wise, as most people around here though.

madcalfe

WKR
I don't think id ever take a dedicated rear bag on any hunt.
rolled up rain jacket/ pants work.
puffy jacket that rolled up into its stash pocket works.
bins harness works,
I even have smaller dry bags that I keep electronic or medical supplies in that will also work.

I only take my tripod which is 2lbs 13oz which is mainly used for my spotter but have a spartan adapter if i want to shoot off it
and a spartan 300 bipod which is 10oz

Hnthrdr

WKR
Probably excessive, but I take a primos trigger stick tripod which acts as 1 trekking pole. Tripod with tricer bc head and a rear bag ( cross tac), and magpul or Harris bipod, I’d guess about 6lbs haha but I enjoy using my trigger sticks for binos and have a dedicated tripod for a spotter, bipod usually just acts as a kickstand for my rifle but someday I’ll get that prone shot I always dream of haha those trigger sticks have saved my butt on standing shots a few times including my biggest buck to date

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't think id ever take a dedicated rear bag on any hunt.
rolled up rain jacket/ pants work.
puffy jacket that rolled up into its stash pocket works.
bins harness works,
I even have smaller dry bags that I keep electronic or medical supplies in that will also work.

I only take my tripod which is 2lbs 13oz which is mainly used for my spotter but have a spartan adapter if i want to shoot off it
and a spartan 300 bipod which is 10oz
I have used my puffy and other things as support bags. Definitely works. For the 2.5 ounces, I like having it there, easy to grab and consistent. I also use it to kneel on a lot.

Do you take a glassing pad to sit on?

madcalfe

WKR
I have used my puffy and other things as support bags. Definitely works. For the 2.5 ounces, I like having it there, easy to grab and consistent. I also use it to kneel on a lot.

no I've never taken a glassing pad.
if the grounds wet rain pants go on and sit on my siltarp or tent foot print that's folded up in my bag.

madcalfe

WKR

I also try to cut as much weight as I can. if something doesn't serve a dual purpose it doesn't come.
I'm even down to taking peak meals out of original packaging and then vacuum sealing them to save weight and space.