How did the 6.5 Creedmoor lose steam so quickly?

Matt5266

WKR
Out west they sell like hot cakes. I know tons of guys that have them. I have owned 3 now, sold them all based on dislikes of the rifle not cartridge. I am currently waiting on my Seekins PH2 6.5 Creed to arrive any day

Is there anything that anyone`s happened upon, short of " Just don`t shoot it so often " , that might extend barrel life at least some with the 6.5 Creed? Maybe a shooting routine? 95% of my rifle shooting is at the range. Currently investigating options for a new factory 1K yard gun. The ONLY drawback to 6.5 CM that I`ve seen for that use is barrel life. That`s my ONLY hesitation with 6.5.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
The 6.5 creedmoor did what all great cartridges do. Become massively popular and then become the basis for other great cartridges....specifically in the 6mm and 22cal varieties.

The creedmoor family of cartridges isn't going anywhere.

Macintosh

WKR
Is there anything that anyone`s happened upon, short of " Just don`t shoot it so often " , that might extend barrel life at least some with the 6.5 Creed? Maybe a shooting routine? 95% of my rifle shooting is at the range. Currently investigating options for a new factory 1K yard gun. The ONLY drawback to 6.5 CM that I`ve seen for that use is barrel life. That`s my ONLY hesitation with 6.5.
What “good 1000yard cartridge” are you considering that has better barrel life? Have you actually shot out a barrel? I mean, you could use a 308 and have great barrel life. What kind of barrel life are you looking for?

Everyone I know who is seriously into 1000 yard shooting is using 6mm and smaller variants now (dashers, br’s 6cm, 25cm, 22cm, etc), that all have less barrel life than a 6.5cm, in many cases a lot less. Id think among that group the 6.5cm has great barrel life? Youre still talking 3000rounds or more. In the scheme of shooting that much at that range, is the extra cost or hassle a legit problem?

"pretty much most people who wanted one have it."

Hell I didn't really want one and have 4.
People bout giving them away as their excuse as to why they can't kill deer.
I have no willpower to pass on a good shooting cheap rifle.

I have no reason for exact redundancy in a cartridge. The closest cartridges I have are a 6.5x47 that my wife shoots and a 260AI that I shoot.

The 260AI runs 300fps faster with similar barrel length and bullet weight. The 6.5x47 runs the same velocity as my buddy’s 6.5 Creed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
"pretty much most people who wanted one have it."

Hell I didn't really want one and have 4.
People bout giving them away as their excuse as to why they can't kill deer.
I have no willpower to pass on a good shooting cheap rifle.
3 here. I've got 3 boys, 2 that hunt and one that I'm sure will when he's old enough. My wife mentioned last week we need to look for another safe because the one we have is going to be full sooner than later. I've not encountered anything in the South East that I wouldn't shoot with a 6.5 creedmoor in 34 years of living here.

JGRaider

WKR
I have no reason for exact redundancy in a cartridge. The closest cartridges I have are a 6.5x47 that my wife shoots and a 260AI that I shoot.

The 260AI runs 300fps faster with similar barrel length and bullet weight. The 6.5x47 runs the same velocity as my buddy’s 6.5 Creed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Good luck finding that ammo in a store.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 cm is still popular in my neck of woods. I recently asked fhe gun counter guys at my local LGS and Cabelas what rifles are selling and they said mostly 223 and 308. The next group is 6.5cm, 243, and 270. This is TX so not need for magnums. Said sell little PRC or Westerns. Also, after pandemic the 223 and 308 were first ammo to come back. Once that stayed on shelves, 30-06, 270, 6.5 cm, and 300 Win were in the next group. That tells you 6.5cm “made it”.

Lou

Fatcamp

WKR
Good luck finding that ammo in a store.

When I bought my Creedmoor I looked at a bunch of similar cartridges. Simply put it was the one that had factory loadings available which I still use to hunt. I reload my practice rounds now but never intended to.

Honestly think it's the most overanalyzed part of hunting. Killed a truckload of one shot one kill western game with my rifle, but could have done exactly the same thing with any rifle from .243 to .338WM so long as it shoots correctly and functions in all weather conditions. Craftsman not the tool sort of mentality.

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not certain the 6.5 Creedmoor is losing steam quickly. It's still a very popular cartridge.
As your username suggests, a 7mm-08 at one time was a staple in our safe. I had as many as 5 7mm-08 rifles at 1 time. I'll always have one because they work perfectly fine but since this is about 6.5 creedmoor I haven't found anything my 6.5's won't do that my 7mm-08 won't do. Their perfectly fit for how I hunt in South Georgia with shots 300 yards and in. Then again about 80% of cartridges will work for me.

KenLee

WKR
As your username suggests, a 7mm-08 at one time was a staple in our safe. I had as many as 5 7mm-08 rifles at 1 time. I'll always have one because they work perfectly fine but since this is about 6.5 creedmoor I haven't found anything my 6.5's won't do that my 7mm-08 won't do. Their perfectly fit for how I hunt in South Georgia with shots 300 yards and in. Then again about 80% of cartridges will work for me.
I still like my 7mm-08s better. Especially the BLRs that we play with. Lady friend keeps threatening to take a bandsaw to one of the BLR stocks, but I then threaten to add the stock spacers and take her 7mm-08 micro midas.