Caliber Crystal Ball - Can you predict the future?

Reloader or not, that short throat leaves performance on the table. Part of why hornady has done well, they haven’t unnecessarily hampered themselves with outdated COAL restrictions on the PRC line.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
There is nothing truly new in the world of cartridge. It’s the same result, via different routes. The rest is marketing to separate you from money

wyosam

WKR
I have no affinity for the .277. I’m just looking for my Goldilocks western hunting cartridge and it would mimic the 6.8 W’s ballistics but in a short action 7mm. Similar to a 7 SAUM or 7-6.5 PRC but with all the rifle and ammo offerings of something more mainstream.

There are already so many cartridges that are already the western “Goldilocks”, what possible niche are you looking to fill? 223 to 30-06 and everything in between (and a bunch north of the 06) will work. There are literally dozens of cartridges in that realm. Pick one and go kill shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
There are already so many cartridges that are already the western “Goldilocks”, what possible niche are you looking to fill? 223 to 30-06 and everything in between (and a bunch north of the 06) will work. There are literally dozens of cartridges in that realm. Pick one and go kill shit.

I did pick one. The 6.5 PRC. But ammo companies won’t stop innovating if it is lucrative and the consumers keep consuming. Hence, the point of this thread. What do you see as the next new commercially successful cartridge and what factors do you think will drive its success?

wyosam

WKR
It will be a Hornady something or another. It will survive and thrive largely through successful marketing.

FLS

WKR
25 Creedmoor is the next latest greatest.
And as much as some folks in the echo chamber would like to see the old .270 WCF die, it will be pissing on the graves of of some of the cartridges listed in this thread. It just works and there are millions of 270 rifles out there still killing stuff and will continue to as long center fire hunting rifles are a thing.