Hardside Hydration Review ***Updated 7/31/22***

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hardside Hydration up with another option to solve issues with conveniently carrying water or other beverages. Sam @realunlucky and myself will be reviewing their "Swig Rig". I received mine a couple days ago and Sam will be chiming in once his arrives.

The product is pretty self explanatory, it is essentially a conversion kit that turns most wide mouth Nalgene bottle into a hydration reservoir with a hosed delivery system similar to the kind water bladders use.

I got the "Swig Rig" kit, an insulated hose with bite valve, an uninsulated hose with bite valve, a 48 oz. Nalgene bottle, insulation sleeve, and 2 hose quick connects.

My initial impression of the "Swig Rig" is it's so easy to use and intuitive, it is hard to believe that it's a new product that I haven't been using for years. I normally use a 32 oz Nalgene and the jury is still out on whether I like the size of the 48 oz, but the system easily modifies to a 32 oz if I choose to. The one way air relief valve is a bit restrictive but it's not really a problem with drinking and does the job well of preventing spills. So far it seems to be a pretty solid product.

If you have any questions for Sam or myself, let us know.

***7/31/22*** Hardside Hydration Swig Rig Review

1311c1a36eeaf5d97e03703d9ce6bc5a.jpg
3c6ac95921b7c0be13732cdd68cc953d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
48 ozs is a good option to have.

what pack(s) you running this with?
I haven't ran it on a pack yet, but will likely use my Kifaru Ma Deuce. I will probably make a deeper nalgene holder to accommodate the 48 oz. bottle, but I might just use a carabiner and attach it to the outside.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Popping the hose off at the quick connect turns into a spill resistant nalgene with a straw making it super versatile for everyday use.
0dbd48d1099c1adcd1b1656211979238.jpg

bsnedeker

WKR
This is one of those products I don't really understand the "why" of. Is there a problem with water bladders that this is solving? I've never had a water bladder leak on me in all my years using them... maybe it's more common than I would have thought?

Really curious about others opinions on why they would like to use something like this.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is one of those products I don't really understand the "why" of. Is there a problem with water bladders that this is solving? I've never had a water bladder leak on me in all my years using them... maybe it's more common than I would have thought?

Really curious about others opinions on why they would like to use something like this.

Its more convenient to fill than digging a bladder out, easier to clean and sterilize, and utilizing electrolytes is easier because a nalgene is easier to clean.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

I've broken no less than ten bladders. Don't know if this will be better but it certainly won't be any worse.

bsnedeker

WKR
Its more convenient to fill than digging a bladder out, easier to clean and sterilize, and utilizing electrolytes is easier because a nalgene is easier to clean.

Ahhh.... that makes sense. I don't use anything to flavor or enhance my water and I've never cleaned a bladder ever so probably not for me but I understand.... thanks!

bsnedeker

WKR
I've broken no less than ten bladders. Don't know if this will be better but it certainly won't be any worse.
Man, that's crazy to me! I've used the same two Source bladders for probably 5 years at least and the old bladders I used before those (camelbak I think) are still floating around in a gear bin somewhere in my basement.

woods89

WKR
Man, that's crazy to me! I've used the same two Source bladders for probably 5 years at least and the old bladders I used before those (camelbak I think) are still floating around in a gear bin somewhere in my basement.

I've decided that the Source bladders must be a step up from everything else. I've used the same one for 5 years or so, and packed quarters up against it in the bag, cranked on the compression straps, and never had a problem. But I hear all the time about other people having issues.

@Ryan Avery , were any of those 10 a Source?

This by no means is to take away from Hardside, as I think their product is great, and plan to order one.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find myself using this setup far more frequently than I anticipated. It has mostly become my go to for everyday use during everthing from pack training to mountain biking to interfacility patient transfers at work. The quick disconnect makes it very versatile.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using the hardside for a couple weeks now. I live in the high desert so it's a big plus for the convenience of adding ice and not having the container sweat on everything in my pack.

I'm using the insulated hose and cover it's impressive how long it keeps my water cold.
3bdaae2eb68b50d06c537a381d787742.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Gotta say I’m right there with you. Never broken a bladder, never had any issues cleaning them. I seen one person mention filling them being an issue - if you’re using a Sawyer or pump style filter you can buy a QD fitting and fill it while it stays in your pack… that’s what I do anyway.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Love my hard sided hydration kit. I moved away from bladders 3 years ago and this is a great product so I don't have to take my pack off to get water. If you're a bottle person, go get yourself a setup. Won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
I just got mine and put to work with my nalgene soft canteen .
It is similar to platypus bags i have used for 20 + years with zero failures.
So i will see how it holds up. If needed I can change over in winter for a hard nalgene .
Great to drink on the go, and easy to refill. No more small mouth to refill in the field. I will carry a 2 lt platypus in the hydration sleeve for when I want to refill this amd then a 24 oz monster drink bottle for drink mixes
Thanks hardside hydration for a great product.Screenshot_20220723-164245_Gallery.jpg