Hardside Hydration Review ***Updated 7/31/22***

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of a dumb question but how is everyone carrying the bottles on their pack? I need at least 3 liters of water on me so I would need two 48oz Nalgenes at the very minimum.

HARDSIDE

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Kind of a dumb question but how is everyone carrying the bottles on their pack? I need at least 3 liters of water on me so I would need two 48oz Nalgenes at the very minimum.
Depending on the pack you're running, the side pockets work well. Kifaru and Exo often have pockets on the sides that work great for tall bottles. FHF makes a very adjustable water bottle holster that can be attached to the outside of packs. VIAM and Kifaru have options too. In cold weather I run it inside. On the Kuiu Pro 6000 the upper side pockets are terrific. You can fit two bottles in each one.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've carried it in the hydration pouch of the pack, also have a belt pouch for a nalgene and a bunch of times packing meat I've used a carabiner clip just on the outside.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
William Hanson (live2hunt)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually use a carabiner and strap of some sort to the outside of my pack. Tried just a carabiner but it would swing around and beat the crap out of me. I am going to make a a taller Nalgene pouch to accommodate the 48 oz bottle but haven't yet.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
Got it, I’ve got an Exo something. I usually have a tripod and spotting scope in the two large vertical side pockets. I wasn’t sure how it would carry in the stretchy ones. Seems like it would take up quite a bit more space than a bladder if you had to run it inside.

AaronL50

FNG
I like this product alot. Recently though I was hunting with the insulated hose and had problems with it slipping off the top of the bottle everytime I hiked around. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm wondering how to prevent this in the future? Maybe a zip tie or a really small hose clamp???

HARDSIDE

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I like this product alot. Recently though I was hunting with the insulated hose and had problems with it slipping off the top of the bottle everytime I hiked around. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm wondering how to prevent this in the future? Maybe a zip tie or a really small hose clamp???
Aaron, that stinks. We haven't had that problem with the insulated before. There are a couple of things you could try. 1 - Use the zip tie as you mentioned. We do this sometimes in thick oak brush. 2 - Try cutting the hose just a little bit. Maybe the end was stretched out. 3 - Push it really hard over the barb. If you can get it over the larger barb, I don't think it'll ever come off. Like ever.

If you continue to have problems, send us an email at [email protected] and let us know. We'll take care of you and make sure your system doesn't let you down.

AaronL50

FNG
Aaron, that stinks. We haven't had that problem with the insulated before. There are a couple of things you could try. 1 - Use the zip tie as you mentioned. We do this sometimes in thick oak brush. 2 - Try cutting the hose just a little bit. Maybe the end was stretched out. 3 - Push it really hard over the barb. If you can get it over the larger barb, I don't think it'll ever come off. Like ever.

If you continue to have problems, send us an email at [email protected] and let us know. We'll take care of you and make sure your system doesn't let you down.
Appreciate the reply! I took another look at my setup and it turns out I had mistakenly cut the piece of hose between my lid and quick disconnect too short. The bottom barb on the quick disconnect was preventing me from seating the hose all the way down on the barb on the lid. I didn't notice at first because the hose would seat about 3/4 of the way onto the lid and appeared to cover all the barbs of the lid. I cut myself a longer piece of hose to use between the lid and quick disconnect and now I am able to seat the hose all the way down to the lid. That last 1/4 of barb on the lid creates a much tighter hold. I will probably add a few small zip ties to my pack as you mentioned for thick brush. Thanks for the help! Love the product!

I like the idea of the hardside and the concept shows promise but I’ve noticed mine leaks when it’s not straight up and down. Not a massive amount but enough to wet layers if they’re both inside your pack. Am I doing something wrong here or is that just how it is?

FECEB257-762A-4313-85FF-18BB0C921E60.jpeg
Pack tipped over while glassing and 15-20 minutes later it looked like this (bottle was inside my pack). Also happens while bouncing around in the truck

HARDSIDE

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
It should definitely not be leaking. Can you see where it’s leaking from? Sent me your address at [email protected] and I’ll get you a replacement part.
I like the idea of the hardside and the concept shows promise but I’ve noticed mine leaks when it’s not straight up and down. Not a massive amount but enough to wet layers if they’re both inside your pack. Am I doing something wrong here or is that just how it is?

View attachment 487004
Pack tipped over while glassing and 15-20 minutes later it looked like this (bottle was inside my pack). Also happens while bouncing around in the truck

DeBear

FNG
Yes, we want to. Unfortunately, right now they can be hard to get. Especially in bulk. My understanding is that Nalgene had to switch some manufacturing over during Covid so it’s going to take some time to switch back.
Any updates in offering these?

DeBear

FNG
Yes. We recently requested them again.....
Unfortunately, they are still not available for custom printing. You can find the standard 48oz. HDPE on Amazon though. You can always cover it with cool stickers!
Would y’all’s sleeve fit them well?

I noticed that Hardside now has a cap that fits normal 28mm screw tops (smart water, soda, etc). This also means that you can use a sawyer squeeze (or similar) and filter water directly into the water bottle. This might be almost a perfect system. I’ve used the smart water bottles and have yet to damage one. Lighter and thinner than Nalgenes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone notice any "slosh" noise when the bottles aren't full? Especially the 48oz.