Hardside Hydration Review ***Updated 7/31/22***

Randle

WKR
Added bonus for this is I can use the bottle for pouring more water into drink mix bottle or chug water it really thirsty at lunch break

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Sam and William finished their review. Check it out! Hardside Hydration Swig Rig Review

The Swig Rig seems like a great system. I went ahead and ordered one each (at full retail) for my wife and me to try out. No field use yet, but it seems like it will function well. I was disappointed that the quick disconnect wasn't compatible with the Camelbak fittings I have on my filter and bladders.

Pwells10

WKR
Honestly thinking, I’m definitely ordering this…. But I’ll still have my bladder in my pack as well (I drink a lot of water). Especially filtering water this is going to be so much easier than pulling my bladder out.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought one of these Hardside Hydration kits at the Big Sky TAC this weekend. I’m really liking it so far. Was easily able to see how much water I had left and when I got to the the water stations, it was a breeze to fill my bottle without taking my pack off and digging around for a bladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought this and for the most part I like it. I wish the air valve on the lid could somehow let the air travel both in and out of the bottle, rather than just in. Two reasons why:

1. I have the quick disconnect kit that I can hook my water filter directly to. The problem is that I have to loosen the cap to be able to squeeze water into the bottle.

2. On hot days, I like to blow the water in the hose back into the bladder as it stays colder that way. I can't do that with this kit.

Overall I like it though and I prefer it over the bladder. If they could fix the valve issue, it'd be even better.

BBob

WKR
2. On hot days, I like to blow the water in the hose back into the bladder as it stays colder that way. I can't do that with this kit.

Overall I like it though and I prefer it over the bladder. If they could fix the valve issue, it'd be even better.
And during winter I do the same to keep the hose from freezing up.

Mark.c

FNG
I have blown a few bladders in the field. +1 on the Harside Hydration system. Use both the 32oz and 48oz. Works well with my MSR Mini Works water filter which screws on the Nalgene bottle.

I bought this and for the most part I like it. I wish the air valve on the lid could somehow let the air travel both in and out of the bottle, rather than just in.

Fully agree.

I bought one just to fill Nalgene bottles from a gravity filter without having to worry about the hose being in the mouth of the bottle....just screw it on and don't worry about it. I wonder if you can pop out the valve and flip it around backwards?

HARDSIDE

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Fully agree.

I bought one just to fill Nalgene bottles from a gravity filter without having to worry about the hose being in the mouth of the bottle....just screw it on and don't worry about it. I wonder if you can pop out the valve and flip it around backwards?
Don't flip the valve around. It'll vacuum lock the bottle when you drink.

The valve used is actually a combination valve that works in 2 directions. However, we only have it setup to work one way. You can try to modify the top to make it work for backfilling by doing the following:

Drill some very small holes around the hole that the valve fits in. The holes would need to be small enough to fit under the edge of the valve when in place so water doesn't leak. It would resemble a revolver cylinder when finished. One larger hole in the middle with smaller holes around it. When backfilling, the air pressure will increase until the outer edge of the valve lifts up releasing it. I haven't tried this so I'm not sure how well it will work and what pressure you'll need, but the valve is designed to function in that way.

What we typically do when backfilling is just crack open the top a little. Then tighten up when finished. I get that it would be more difficult if you keep your bottle inside your pack. We'll look into modifications in the mold to make backfilling easier.

Don't flip the valve around. It'll vacuum lock the bottle when you drink.

The valve used is actually a combination valve that works in 2 directions. However, we only have it setup to work one way. You can try to modify the top to make it work for backfilling by doing the following:

Drill some very small holes around the hole that the valve fits in. The holes would need to be small enough to fit under the edge of the valve when in place so water doesn't leak. It would resemble a revolver cylinder when finished. One larger hole in the middle with smaller holes around it. When backfilling, the air pressure will increase until the outer edge of the valve lifts up releasing it. I haven't tried this so I'm not sure how well it will work and what pressure you'll need, but the valve is designed to function in that way.

What we typically do when backfilling is just crack open the top a little. Then tighten up when finished. I get that it would be more difficult if you keep your bottle inside your pack. We'll look into modifications in the mold to make backfilling easier.

I don't use it to drink (I don't like hoses getting in the way of things), just fill. Cracking it would probably work just fine. Cool product, I wonder if some slight changes in marketing might get you folks like me that just want to filter into their nalgene without water pissing all over the place.

HARDSIDE

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't use it to drink (I don't like hoses getting in the way of things), just fill. Cracking it would probably work just fine. Cool product, I wonder if some slight changes in marketing might get you folks like me that just want to filter into their nalgene without water pissing all over the place.
If you're just using it to fill, you could probably just pull the valve out completely. Appreciate the feedback!

woods89

WKR
And during winter I do the same to keep the hose from freezing up.
I have an insulated hose setup from Hardside. I don't have a lot of use on it, but to me this is the one chink in the armor of this system. I'm very favorably impressed so far, but in below freezing weather I like to blow the tube clear.

AdamLewis

FNG
I spent a week in the backcountry scouting and used my hardside hydration kit on my day pack for several days. I like this as it gives me a way to use the pack's exterior pockets and not take up room in the main bag with a bladder.

It worked fairly well for the most part. Easy to refill, nothing broke, no leaks, etc. I do like the bite valve and its shutoff, have not seen one like that before.

On the dim side, I had it rigged with the orange tubing. This entire thing is outside the pack so the tubing is pretty exposed to getting caught on stuff and knocked around. The tubing is very flexible and took a crease easily, so tight that I could not draw water through it. The creased section seemed to enjoy being creased and was pretty much impossible to keep straight, so I trimmed it out, but of course it took another crease ASAP.

I bought it with the insulated tube so going to try that on the next trip, it is as stiff as radiator hose so might fare better. Or maybe try tubing from a bladder. Tossed the orange stuff in the trash where it belongs.

Jcott948

FNG
Its more convenient to fill than digging a bladder out, easier to clean and sterilize, and utilizing electrolytes is easier because a nalgene is easier to clean.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Very true. Haven’t tried this swig rig, but definitely going to have to check it out. I’ve had too many frustrations with trying to yard sale my pack or jam it in there to get the bladder to sit right.

Jcott948

FNG
Also the ease of using this instead of bladder for meal making is appealing. Usually my side bottle is for Mtn ops, and the bladder for water only.

68Plexi

WKR
I really like having having it on the outside of my pack. I also like being able to check how much water I’ve gone through as I hike. Never seemed to know how much was still in my bladder inside the pack.

There have only been two downsides for me so far. I’ve had to carry extra liter size bottles (collapsible platypus for now) when water isn’t available to pump. I have also set my pack down a couple times not thinking about the air hole in the lid and have lost water out of the top of the bottle. That’s on me, but still frustrating.

Overall, I like it and will keep using it especially when temps start to drop below freezing. Can’t stand my camelback hose freezing while I hike.

68Plexi

WKR
I've haven't noticed mine leaking. Did you install the silicone valve in hole?

Must have popped out or lost it at some point. I didn’t even realize it was missing until you mentioned it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Must have popped out or lost it at some point. I didn’t even realize it was missing until you mentioned it.

Looks like they sell replacements.
8f50c90d5fa70d81782d367f6e7f18a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

68Plexi

WKR
Looks like they sell replacements.
8f50c90d5fa70d81782d367f6e7f18a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Yea, I ordered a replacement set last night. I’ll try and keep a better eye on it from now on. Appreciate the heads up!