Gun ban

Wasn't the 2nd ammendment put in place to protect us as US citizens from a tyrannical government. That same government is currently trying pass laws to disarm the populace and infringe my 2nd ammendment rights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they take an oath to uphold and protect the Constitution. I believe any elected official that votes for these unconstitutional laws has failed to uphold their oath and be considered a treasonous tyrant.

amassi

WKR
Wasn't the 2nd ammendment put in place to protect us as US citizens from a tyrannical government. That same government is currently trying pass laws to disarm the populace and infringe my 2nd ammendment rights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they take an oath to uphold and protect the Constitution. I believe any elected official that votes for these unconstitutional laws has failed to uphold their oath and be considered a treasonous tyrant.
The Supreme Court should see it that way and make said law illegal. But they keep kicking gun cases back to circuit courts who uphold the infringement, and have been unwilling to use their majority to flip any meaningful gun laws since heller. Also the 2nd ammendment was put in place to protect the new gov from all the threats to the new republic.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sore subject for us however as past threads with similar topics (not just on Rokslide) have shown there will be variations of opinions. I just want to remind everyone to refrain from any name calling, personal attacks, profanity, etc.
Why are you being a kill joy? Sheesh, nobody even had a chance to do or say anything inappropriate - feels like over regulation lol

The Supreme Court should see it that way and make said law illegal. But they keep kicking gun cases back to circuit courts who uphold the infringement, and have been unwilling to use their majority to flip any meaningful gun laws since heller. Also the 2nd ammendment was put in place to protect the new gov from all the threats to the new republic.

Bingo...

amassi

WKR
To protect the new Republic AND to keep a potential tyrannical government in check AND individual self protection.
Doubtful- that's how we all like it and interpret it but the founding fathers weren't any less corrupt than today's politicians. They needed an armed populace to stave off British reintervention and to expand territory into the frontier and Mexico protecting themselves from a British noose or firing squad while avoiding paying royalties back to England. I think we romanticize the founding fathers as some altruistic enlightened thinkers when really they were just finding a tax loophole.

Doubtful- that's how we all like it and interpret it but the founding fathers weren't any less corrupt than today's politicians. They needed an armed populace to stave off British reintervention and to expand territory into the frontier and Mexico protecting themselves from a British noose or firing squad while avoiding paying royalties back to England. I think we romanticize the founding fathers as some altruistic enlightened thinkers when really they were just finding a tax loophole.

Some definitely romanticize them as some sort of altruistic enlightened thinkers...

But I don't think "wow, what if we need reminded of our place?!" was on their list of priorities.

They were the slave owning ruling class, just without a crown.

No , Not really. Our founding fathers writings , thoughts , and documents have produced the greatest country in the world and yes they were altruistic enlightened thinkers. Yes, all men are corrupt and they knew that as they produced documents to protect the individual.

I don't plan on changing your opinion nor will you change mine. Leaving thread as it will turn into a dumpster fire . I personally love the documents that this country was founded on and believe that the founders were genius to write them despite being imperfect men like all of us

z987k

WKR
There is a method of changing the constitution. And it's not against the oath to do so.
The difference is they aren't trying to amend the constitution like they are supposed to.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They specified the militia.

Not keeping themselves in check, or self defense.
They mentioned "militia", but then ended with "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".

"The people" includes all Americans. Not all Americans would have been part of the "militia", or even expected to be part of it. No, there's a definite "right" of the people to keep and bear arms.......and after recently breaking away from a tyrannical England to form this nation's foundation, that would have been forefront on their minds as well. "The people" aren't going to overthrow a tyrannical government if they aren't armed. And I would go on to say "well armed". And those in power know that. That's why the 2A has always been such a problem for those in power that want to destroy America. Heck, then entire Constitution is a problem for them. Obama said that he would have gotten a lot more passed in his terms "if it hadn't been for that Constitution".