Good Gas Mileage Hunting Vehicle

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Switching my focus to subaru forester or similar after someone recommended that. The Maverick just isn't currently available, except at inflated prices. I should've ordered one last fall!

I would have no problem with a 2 person hunting trip in a smaller SUV. The problem is most of my trips are with 3 people - then you start running into gear space issues. However, the forester looks about perfect for a daily driver and occasional family trips.

jktex

FNG
In my younger days, I hunted out of a Subaru Forester and then an Outback. Currently, I drive an f150 4x4 ecoboost. Those Subarus went anywhere I've been in my truck.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

rideold

WKR
I've been hearing more and more about hunting out of a Subaru....here and on other forums. Can anyone comment on the longevity of them? I know in the past they had head gasket problems. We had a wagon way back in the day and we drove the heck out of it. Only complaint I had back then was the maintenance and the lack of power (we had to turn the AC off to get up some hills). It was a bit of a lemon so not really representative of the whole I'm sure. The day we sold it the idler wheel sheared off the front of the motor and I once had to replace a clutch cable in the parking lot of an auto parts store in northern CA after limping into town without the clutch. I figure they aren't going to run as long as a Toyota but then nothing really does.

Mosby

WKR
My Chevy ZR2 diesel gets over 24 mpg which isn't bad. I can go anywhere in that truck but with the current price of diesel, I am thinking about using my wife's new Outback for a couple pheasant hunts this year. I can get two dogs in it and my gear without any problem. Weather will likely dictate which one leaves the driveway, when it's time to go.

wapitibob

WKR
I hauled me, wife, camp gear, and an elk with a vw rabbit hatchback. You can hunt out if just about anything if the desire is there.

I've been hearing more and more about hunting out of a Subaru....here and on other forums. Can anyone comment on the longevity of them? I know in the past they had head gasket problems. We had a wagon way back in the day and we drove the heck out of it. Only complaint I had back then was the maintenance and the lack of power (we had to turn the AC off to get up some hills). It was a bit of a lemon so not really representative of the whole I'm sure. The day we sold it the idler wheel sheared off the front of the motor and I once had to replace a clutch cable in the parking lot of an auto parts store in northern CA after limping into town without the clutch. I figure they aren't going to run as long as a Toyota but then nothing really does.
We are currently driving a 2005 with 175,000 miles on it. Needs some new struts but other than that it has been great. 2.5 and had the timing belt and head gaskets done when recommended. As long as you take care of those things when needed, I don’t think my there are many issues.

Subaru all the way. 2 inch lift and a rear locker
Do you have one? We are actually on our way to pick up a cross trek that’s getting a 2” lift today, and I will probably drive it a fair amount… if I don’t mind driving it around, I want to put a rear locker in it, and I want to know what locker are used here

I'm not picking on your response so please don't take it that way.

What I keep hearing is Ford is going all electric in 10-15 years. I forget the exact timeframe but I was surprised how quick it was. I didn't hear them say "we're keeping some gas vehicles for rural folks". What I heard was "all electric". I do wish it was more transparent. I mean, logic does dictate that we can't be all electric country-wide in the next 20 years.
They are probably saying that to keep the current office happy so they get govt funds… we’ll see

I'm already hearing the possibility of widespread rolling
blackouts this Summer because the current supply of energy
simply isn't enough. (Due to the closing of coal powered plants).
Yet they want everybody driving an EV?
It's like a construction co. building homes without laying foundations.
This whole green energy thing is gonna fall apart soon.
It seems so obvious too, which is the most frustrating part… make the nation suffer over delusional goals… good plan Joe!

My Chevy ZR2 diesel gets over 24 mpg which isn't bad. I can go anywhere in that truck but with the current price of diesel, I am thinking about using my wife's new Outback for a couple pheasant hunts this year. I can get two dogs in it and my gear without any problem. Weather will likely dictate which one leaves the driveway, when it's time to go.
Even my gasser zr2 has got 18.5mpg since I got it, and my driving style doesn’t coincide with fuel economy. I was trying to find one with a Duramax but it was impossible at the time without getting bent over

I would be curious doing the math on the difference in fuel costs (diesel vs gas) and difference in fuel economy

Regardless, I think they are about as good as it gets for a hunting rig for what I do

Do you have one? We are actually on our way to pick up a cross trek that’s getting a 2” lift today, and I will probably drive it a fair amount… if I don’t mind driving it around, I want to put a rear locker in it, and I want to know what locker are used here
I don’t have one personally, but I have seen this one in action on an Outback. Followed a 4 runner and could go anywhere the 4 runner could. There are also some videos of the same one on YouTube. We will be putting one in an Ascent when we buy one next spring.

CorbLand

WKR
Seeing some decent prices on older, low mileage AWD CRV's.
I have heard mixed stuff on CRVs. Some really like them, some really hate them. Anyone on here have experience with them?

Kind of debating between a RAV4 or a CRV when I can afford a newer vehicle.

My wife’s 2021 rav4 hybrid gets around 36 mpg, but you are looking at $40k for that vehicle

My friends and I have hauld tons of animals home in various Subarus. Most of them got 20-24mpg on road trips. They work great for back pack hunts, not a lot of space if your doing base camps at he car. You would probably be better of off just keeping your truck if that’s what you are doing. Gas prices go up and down. You’ll probably want a truck again in a year or so of an economy rig any ways.

Rob5589

WKR
20-24 isn't all that impressive. My 19 Ram knocks down 21+ on the hwy. Of course a Subi can get deeper due to it being significantly smaller.

Fatcamp

WKR
My wife's Rav4 has actually been a great vehicle for us. I will drive my 4runner forever, I just don't go anywhere unnecessary, and we will always have an F250 or 350.

As has been pointed out, my paid off 4runner probably has 100k of life left in it, and the cost of a new rig would offset the gas cost for probably 10 years.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patw