Good Gas Mileage Hunting Vehicle

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 2013 Tacoma with 23000 miles this week from an aging family friend with one of the main reasons being hunting road trips without having to put a ridiculous amount of gas money and miles on my Ram 2500.

Titan_Bow

WKR
A guy I work with has one of the new plug in hybrid Jeeps. He said he can get 25 to 50 miles on electric alone. He also said the most range he has got on a single tank of gas was a little over 750 miles. That was plugging in each day at the office. However, he has had it in the dealer 2 times already for overheating transmission!

The technology for hybrids is there, why’s it’s not used is beyond me. The tacoma is supposed to have a hybrid model available late 2023 or early 2024 that you plug in and can do 50-60 miles on ev mode only and then go to regular gas mode. I’d buy one today if I could. I’m about to downsize my 2019 tundra because it’s worth a pile and trade strait up almost for a new tacoma double cab long bed. I sure hope I don’t regret it. I drive 15k miles a year average between all my hunting and fairly long drive to work 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: WRM

WRM

WKR
I'm mildly apprehensive to google "tacoma teasers". It takes a long time for the algorithm to forget that stuff...

My wife hates that her ipad gets fed all my desktop search stuff from the IP address. Least she knows what I'm doing.

How much worse is it gonna get when summers in full swing and they say we’re short on gas again.

dtrkyman

WKR
There is a company making a lift kit for AWD Toyota Mini vans, I have looked into it, would make it to many places i take my jeep, but definitely not all of them!

Journey's off road I think? I truck camp a lot, that would be comfy with all the seats out!

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Been looking at Subarus for a few years, then the wilderness packages came out.....

Then I think by the time I buy a vehicle, pay additional taxes, insurance and everything else, I can buy a lot of fuel.

I need to have a large truck, I keep beat around vehicles that get just that. Have 2 so one is usually on the road.

My chitters got paid for by miles off the primary truck, use them running around between farms, go to town, anything when I don't need the truck.

I went through $400 in diesel today between truck and tractor, so I feel it. But you don't always save money by spending money.

My jimmy and my jeep are cheap to keep.
Yeah diesel is expensive. I burned around $700 in a day roller harrowing in one of the big John Deere’s. At the same time we had a Massey bigger then mine ( the Johnny I was in is massive) disc ripping, 2 loaders and 2 semis hauling hay. Running a ranch is pricey, makes it way worse with these fuel prices.

Systems engineer? Electrical engineer? Any experience owning, operating, or with the infrastructure related to EV?

I have my doubts that you have any significant knowledge base from which to launch the rant above.

Also, nobody is saying EV is the answer to all situations for all people.
Politicians are saying that it is the answer for everyone. Otherwise they wouldn't be pushing, mandating and enacting war policies to make it happen at an accelerated rate. This is just common sense, that you can not force something to work, when the infrastructure and demand is not there.

The same people that want all electric with not coal or NG plants online also are against nuclear power. In fact they are against any consumptive development by humans. This country is not developed like Europe. There is not a town every 10 or so miles. There you can ride a bike everywhere if you need to. There is no mass transit to and from rural areas or even linking all major cities.

CA for example is right about .51 cents per gallon gas tax; supposedly to pay for roads and such. So by mandating that 35% of new vehicles sold starting in '26 have to be emissions free, where do you think that lost tax revenue will come from? Don't delude oneself into thinking that states won't put in place an EV surcharge on the energy used to charge the batts to recover lost revenue. Only a matter of time.
They will make up for it in special taxes when you register your vehicle every year. That is what they are doing here in WI.

I could see hybrids being a thing, but like efficient Diesel engines the EPA will ban them in the US.

We need a few of those power sources that Iron Man uses to power his suite. He developed and produced it in a cave in Afghanistan after all. Im sure we could do better in a developed country.

I put a whole cut up blacktail in the back of my (gasp) Prius last fall.

The idea that we all need bigas trucks to hunt is a little silly. Pretty sure most of our grandparents hunted and camped out of station wagons. Not saying that having a big pickup isn’t nice or fun or convenient, just not totally necessary for punching tags. And my normal hunting rig is a Tundra.

Oh, and anyone who tells you that they know that the price of gas will higher or lower two years from now than it is today is lying to you (and/or themselves).

Last edited:
There is a company making a lift kit for AWD Toyota Mini vans, I have looked into it, would make it to many places i take my jeep, but definitely not all of them!

Journey's off road I think? I truck camp a lot, that would be comfy with all the seats out!
This I will be looking into. Got a link to the lift company?