Favorite Bourbon Opinions

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
Nope, I haven't, that is one I do want to try. I grew up thinking Crown Royal was top tier stuff. Never understood how people liked drinking whiskey straight. Just stayed with my natty light over the years, until many years ago my wife was switching jobs and working on going into real-estate. She worked a few nights at this upscale whiskey place in town in the evenings and I befriended the owner who is a VN Vet and avid hunter. After that he was letting me try all the different whiskey. I can say after that experience I finally understood what good whiskey was and why people enjoy it.

Badseed

WKR
Soooo many good choices for bourbon. My default go to, easy drinking bourbon is the four roses small batch. My brother got me a pre charred mini oak barrel that you can use to quickly age any whiskey or bourbon and all I can say is WOW, that thing is amazing. After four weeks in the barrel the end product is amazingly smooth and tastes like a much older product. I threw in a bunch of random spirits I had like makers, woodford reserve, and a some others along with a bit of shine to up the proof and it is a favorite of everyone who tries it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This time of year I will put a shot or two of Woodford reserve into a cup of hot apple cider and make it Christmas Woodford! Other than that it's mainly drank with 2 ice cubes and is always tasty!

Picked up a bottle of the Old Grand-dad Bonded (100 proof) and am impressed, punches well above its price point. If I recall correctly, it was just under $20.
I was a little hesitant to let anyone know about old grandad because it feels like such a secret. Eagle rare used to be that way too then people caught on and the price went up. Old grandad is just good, seems like a bourbon 100 years ago would of been vs a woodford type of modern bourbon. Nothing against woodford, it’s good too.

I think there might be a 'look how cheap i can get it' thing going on here....Eagle Rare and Blantons trade at dumb prices in TX, Buffalo Trace is even getting hard to find. That being said...its what I buy when I find itt. As for 30-50 - Basil Haydens and Blade & Bow are my top choices. <30 Woodford Reserve & Four Roses

DMurphy

FNG
Just one that's under $30 would have to be Knob Creek, which is pretty much my standard. One over $30 is a little tougher but that would probably be Four Roses. I've never had Pappy, and I probably never will, but I sure would love to see what the hype is all about.
I just had the opportunity to try Pappy's for the first time. Unfortunately, I thought it was awesome. I was hoping to "not get it" so I could make fun of the pretentious douche that bought it, but I couldn't. For me, the difference was the finish. No lingering burn- a quick punch to the mouth and then gone. I welcome the opportunity to have more- on someone else's dime!

I just had the opportunity to try Pappy's for the first time. Unfortunately, I thought it was awesome. I was hoping to "not get it" so I could make fun of the pretentious douche that bought it, but I couldn't. For me, the difference was the finish. No lingering burn- a quick punch to the mouth and then gone. I welcome the opportunity to have more- on someone else's dime!

Nice! How old was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I have pretty good luck finding Eagle Rare in our liquor stores, I just hit them up every couple of weeks on delivery days. I got SUPER lucky and won a drawing this week. Liquor store called and told me I won the chance to buy a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 12 yr Lot B. You better believe I was there within the hour! $124 out the door... couldn't believe my luck.

Majority of the time I drink Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace.

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
just because it’s expensive, doesn’t mean you are going to like it. I try and pick up rare bottles when I find them reasonably priced, but there are a few bottles that I like that always seem to be on the shelf. Woodford and Wild Turkey rare breed are examples of what still seems good and plentiful

Bobbyboe

WKR
just because it’s expensive, doesn’t mean you are going to like it. I try and pick up rare bottles when I find them reasonably priced, but there are a few bottles that I like that always seem to be on the shelf. Woodford and Wild Turkey rare breed are examples of what still seems good and plentiful

I've been finding this to be very true. I have been lucky and purchased some hard to find bottles and most disappoint when open. They are cool to own, but most are no better than what's available on the shelve.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Blanton's and some of the nicer Jefferson has been good to me. To be honest, I don't drink that much bourbon, so I have not tried more than a handful.

In my opinion, whiskey should be sipped neat, at body temperature. While not technically neat, 1 or 2 drops of water can help bring out the flavor.

CAD73

FNG
Blanton's has replaced Basil Hayden as my go to but the price of Blanton's is getting ridiculous around here. From there, Old Forester, Knob Creek, and Bulleit. Can't stand Maker's Mark for some reason... I've never like it.

Unfortunately (for my wallet) I also like single malt scotch. Lagavulin 16 is a favorite followed by Oban 14, Oban little bay.... Haven't ventured much into the 18s because well...I need to buy hunting gear too.

Dammit I need a drink now...