Elk heart recipes

Have a fresh elk heart to cook any recommended Recipes? Smoked , baked , fried I’m game for anything IMG_1827 Copy.jpeg

Try breading and pan frying it in a well seasoned cast iron pan. We cut ours into strips and always end up pan frying it with Worcestershire and stuff like that. If doing it fresh in camp we've grilled it but I don't like it as much that way.

Poser

WKR
I like to pickle hearts. Mix your brine solution up and get it cool in the fridge. Bring the heart to a rolling boil and then simmer for 45 minutes or so. Slice it up into bite sized pieces and place it in the brine solution. Should be ready to eat in about 3 days, but you can keep it for quite some time.

Wow, never even imagined that. I'm gonna try it with a deer heart this year as a test. We love pickled eggs but never thought of pickling meat. We can't "can" the eggs due to the process will destroy the eggs (we raise quail), with a heart I could probably pressure can it as well.

rkinderv

FNG
Classified Approved
Congrats!
My favorite is to roughly cube the heart and marinade in soy sauce with ginger and garlic, +/- sesame oil, and green onions for garnish. Marinade for 20 min-3 hr. Sear in a pan, careful not to crowd the pan to avoid steaming the meat. Goes great with veggies, rice, etc.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't really like the texture unless its well trimmed but I rarely take the time for that. Its a perfectly good piece of meat so I don't waste it, I just opt to add it to my ground meat unless someone I'm with wants it whole.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Try breading and pan frying it in a well seasoned cast iron pan. We cut ours into strips and always end up pan frying it with Worcestershire and stuff like that. If doing it fresh in camp we've grilled it but I don't like it as much that way.
We do something similar. We dredge the strips in flour and quickly fry with light oil in a hot cast iron. We typically just do salt and pepper. Sometimes Montreal steak seasoning.

Sautéed in butter and garlic to med rare...salt and pepper to taste after you pull it from the skillet.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I have done it like a few others on here by slicing it up and pan frying in a cast iron pan with peppers and onions. I have also made fajitas like this but sometimes it doesn't quite make it into the tortillas! A little salt, pepper and garlic its awesome!