Dual Use Dirt bike

I had a pretty long thread about the same topic last month. I've done quite a ton of research.

The big 650 bikes are going to be pigs. They will be nearly 100% dedicated bikes for some type of road. Forest road, county road for well used two track type roads.

The Suzuki DRZ400 is probably fits the bill the best. I recently drove one. Wasn't terribly impressed but I only had 3-4 miles over 7 minutes to test drive a used one. All pavement.

I want something more Dirt and more sporty.

There are a million Honda models. Someone suggested a CRF 250 F series. 2019 to present. Air cooled single cylinder bike that's fuel injected. Good luck finding one. Rather rare where I am at.

Same for the Honda 250 and 300 L series. 2013 to 2020 for the 250L. Replaced by the 300L 2021. Possibly the closest to what you're looking for. Fuel injected. Street bike enging. Very long service intervals. 6 speed trans. Reliable. Come with headlight and street legal. But heavy and kinda underpowered. But are the bike you're looking for.

KTM series would be the EXC line. Headlight from factory. 6 speed trans. You're gonna pay a good bit more for them.

I settled on a CRF250L, i have been happy with it for what i use it for. Its been reliable and gets the job done. Forest service roads and trails mainly, some asphalt. I hunt and scout off of it.
Its quiet. Easy to find parts if needed and alot of aftermarket parts available.

Attachments

• 20220703_094723.jpg
    20220703_094723.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 53
street bike and dirt bike don't equate in my mind. if it's labeled as both it'll be mediocre at both unless you slap a fancy suspension on that thing don't bother imo.

But I haven't looked at dual sport bikes in 10ish years so maybe there is improvement that made us way into that sector

runnhunt

FNG
The big 650 bikes are going to be pigs. They will be nearly 100% dedicated bikes for some type of road. Forest road, county road for well used two track type roads.

The Suzuki DRZ400 is probably fits the bill the best. I recently drove one. Wasn't terribly impressed but I only had 3-4 miles over 7 minutes to test drive a used one. All pavement.
I tried the Honda XR650L and was really impressed. It was a little too tall for my shorter legs, but is a very capable bike.

I ended up getting the Suzuki DR-Z400S and I’m super happy with it. Things to keep in mind with the DR-Z400S:
* the tires will need to be replaced if you plan on doing anything more than riding asphalt. Like most trucks I’ve purchased, the bikes come with mediocre tires.
* for off-road use, plan on upgrading the armor
* the stock mirrors suck. Spend the money for some good replacements
* the seat is a little like sitting on a lightly padded 2x4. For any road riding over 30 minutes, you’ll want an after market seat

idahodave

WKR
I have used a yamaha ttr230 the last 5 or so years. It is a great hunting bike. I have a cyclerack and street legal kit on it. It gets used and abused and holds up great. Can't recommend getting a ttr230 or crf230 enough. They have enough power to get anywhere you need to while being geared well for hunting.

Also, lightweight if you get in a sticky spot. TWs are stupid heavy and Big Wheels dont maneuver well and will send you right off the trail on a switchback. Not sure why those bikes are so popular, overhyped.

This. The new (relatively) crf250f is THE bike for what you’re after. Add a headlight kit for perfection.

Dave

Ducker

FNG
Look for a 98 or 99 DR350SE. Last ones before water cooling. Bulletproof, and will do 60+ comfortably on the road. Light enough to pick up if you have a spill. Great bikes.

Felix40

WKR
I’ve had a chance to ride quite a few bikes this year. I’m not a motocross racer. I mostly ride trails and forest roads.

Ttr 250- my favorite, fairly soft ride on rocky trails but decent enough suspension to get aggressive, the seat is the most comfortable, lots of low end power, almost never stalls, totally foolproof air cooled engine, this is more of a trail bike and really fits my needs, comfortable to go down the highway at 60 mph for about an hour tops, being super inexpensive makes it more fun because I never worry about dropping it

Wr250f- overall it has “better” suspension and more power than the ttr, easier to stall in technical steep stuff, the power band seems narrow to me

Exc 450- way more bike than I need, didn’t want to run after being dropped when it was hot, overall the most fun to ride but also the most frustrating when it wouldn’t start

Beta 390- super nimble, fuel injection is great, power is at about the sweet spot, good low end and top end, this would be a very hard bike to beat, if I can find one in my price range in a few years I will buy it

Beta 200 2stroke- didn’t want to idle, I generally dislike 2strokes for the noise and complexity of oil injection on the beta (I have no idea what the failure rate is but it’s just one more thing that could be an issue), I found the clutch to be sticky and hard to deal with at low speeds, the weight to power ratio is insane, hopping logs is easier than anything I’ve ridden, super wide power band and more powerful than a 250 4 stroke by a fair amount

Overall if I had a bunch of money I would buy a beta 390. Otherwise I think a guy is best served with a cheap, simple 250-350.

I've been in and out of four stroke dual sports and recently went do full dirt bike, 300 XCW TPI. Unstoppable on single track, insane power / weight ratio,, efficiency similar to a 4 stroke (not your dad's 2 stroke) and I plated it and ride it to work, although depending on where you live that may not be an option.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

This. The new (relatively) crf250f is THE bike for what you’re after. Add a headlight kit for perfection.

Dave
Not being a dick....but asking if that's your opinion or from watching AdvDaily/Tanner? Cuz I follow him and almost got sucked down the same rabbit hole. I've never even seen that bike in person. Seems SUPER rare.

I’ve had a chance to ride quite a few bikes this year. I’m not a motocross racer. I mostly ride trails and forest roads.

Ttr 250- my favorite, fairly soft ride on rocky trails but decent enough suspension to get aggressive, the seat is the most comfortable, lots of low end power, almost never stalls, totally foolproof air cooled engine, this is more of a trail bike and really fits my needs, comfortable to go down the highway at 60 mph for about an hour tops, being super inexpensive makes it more fun because I never worry about dropping it

Wr250f- overall it has “better” suspension and more power than the ttr, easier to stall in technical steep stuff, the power band seems narrow to me

Exc 450- way more bike than I need, didn’t want to run after being dropped when it was hot, overall the most fun to ride but also the most frustrating when it wouldn’t start

Beta 390- super nimble, fuel injection is great, power is at about the sweet spot, good low end and top end, this would be a very hard bike to beat, if I can find one in my price range in a few years I will buy it

Beta 200 2stroke- didn’t want to idle, I generally dislike 2strokes for the noise and complexity of oil injection on the beta (I have no idea what the failure rate is but it’s just one more thing that could be an issue), I found the clutch to be sticky and hard to deal with at low speeds, the weight to power ratio is insane, hopping logs is easier than anything I’ve ridden, super wide power band and more powerful than a 250 4 stroke by a fair amount

Overall if I had a bunch of money I would buy a beta 390. Otherwise I think a guy is best served with a cheap, simple 250-350.
Thanks for posting your exp across so many bikes. Not sure I've seen a Beta 390 in my region either. Lots of 300 and 300RR?

idahodave

WKR
Not being a dick....but asking if that's your opinion or from watching AdvDaily/Tanner? Cuz I follow him and almost got sucked down the same rabbit hole. I've never even seen that bike in person. Seems SUPER rare.
Jesse,

Not offended by the question at all. It comes from actually riding the bike...a lot. It comes from riding a LOT of motorcycles...for a living, while clearing trails in the wilds of Idaho. At 51 with two knee replacements the days of clearing super-technical trails are mostly behind me...but I'd wager I still do more trail riding than 99 percent of the population.

The reason the bike is so rare is because it works so well. My hunting partner was on a waiting list for 13 months before he got his. He also has a pretty minty XR400, but rarely ever touches the XR in favor of the CRF250F. That's saying something as the XR line WAS the Nosler Partition of the trail bike world!

Dave

Haro450

FNG
I also have a CR250F. They are good bikes and have no problem hauling a big butt around in the hills. The fuel injection is nice. The new honda and kawi 300, 4strokes look really nice also. I have been wanting to find a decent on a ktm 500 because i want a plated back that i can also run a timbersled kit on.

mac53

FNG
Classified Approved
how do you guys get the animal out of the woods with just a dirt bike?

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
how do you guys get the animal out of the woods with just a dirt bike?
In the pack is usually most stable. I've thrown an elk quarter in my pack and strapped a quarter to the back rack before. It got sketchy going down some steep terrain. Wish i had a picture of that loaded down but was too nervous to think of taking a picture. Ill throw some lighter stuff on the back rack but hard to stay stable in more technical terrain with a heavy load. One of my buddies will strap his entire pack to the rack and ride that way.
322197dc723cc1fba049452b9e11f3dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

idahodave

WKR
Best way is on a pack frame imho. Not that hard. Here is my son back when he was 12 with a quarter from his first elk…

Attachments

• E8B6EA9A-5961-484C-B258-8A84859CC707.jpeg
    E8B6EA9A-5961-484C-B258-8A84859CC707.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 52

mac53

FNG
Classified Approved
I have been saving to get a 4 wheeler to use for elk and deer hunting but you all have me rethinking things between a 4 wheeler,dirt bike ,sxs, and e bike.