Dirt bike general question

KHNC

WKR
You don’t think starting on a 450 would be to much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He is saying stick with the YZ250 2 STROKE, a 250f is a 4 stroke bike. The 2 stroke is lighter, cheaper to work on and readily available in the used market. Top end rebuild is 300-400 bucks vs 4 stroke being 2000-2500 if you have a problem.

KHNC

WKR
Dunno what the actual use is goona be. Or the budget. Yz250x or ktm/husky 250/300 is hard to beat. For an easy going yet very capable bike.

I dont agree with the recluse clutch. See alot of guys stick one in the bike and use it as a crutch instead of learning how to actually ride.. I can see them being badass, but you gotta learn the basics first

once that bike is moving, I dont use a clutch to change gears. Ease off the throttle an bang it in, sometimes keep on the throttle lol The clutch is for putting power to the ground and keeping the rpms where they need to be.

Only one way to learn this stuff and it wont be on a forum...
The REKLUSE X clutch works the same as the regular clutch, or you can use as an auto clutch. The CORE EXP is what you are thinking about. The X is the bomb. I have a 10 year background of 125/250 2 Stroke MX racing, from 20 years ago. Got my new 250f recently and the Rekluse X was the best upgrade for trail riding i have ever seen in my life. No more stalling BS!

KHNC

WKR
Rekluse imho is more to prevent stalls. Really handy if you are a gear high and come around a corner and there is a hill. Instead of possibly stalling, it will slip and keep going.
1000%

KHNC

WKR
YZ250F.jpg

This is my current bike that i dove back into head first. 2017 YZ250F No MX racing for me though. Just backyard track and trail riding. My 23 year old son cracked his ankle trailriding on it this past saturday though. He is fairly new to trails and got carried away on a tight turn and slid out. Bike landed on his ankle and he has two hairline fractures and a boot with crutches for a few weeks. I waited 20 years for them to grow up to get another bike, so I wouldnt be injured myself while needing to raise them. Then right away, my son gets injured. lol. Not off to a great start with my wifee. Still heading to Edgefield SC to CGI Facility this weekend for open practice. Their track is absolutely phenomenal.

Good luck on your DRZ!! Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
The REKLUSE X clutch works the same as the regular clutch, or you can use as an auto clutch. The CORE EXP is what you are thinking about. The X is the bomb. I have a 10 year background of 125/250 2 Stroke MX racing, from 20 years ago. Got my new 250f recently and the Rekluse X was the best upgrade for trail riding i have ever seen in my life. No more stalling BS!

I ordered the Rekluse X for my bike, it’s still in the mail. More of less seeing if I can figure out the clutch comfortably before installing it

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
View attachment 554030

This is my current bike that i dove back into head first. 2017 YZ250F No MX racing for me though. Just backyard track and trail riding. My 23 year old son cracked his ankle trailriding on it this past saturday though. He is fairly new to trails and got carried away on a tight turn and slid out. Bike landed on his ankled and he has two hairline fractures and a boot with crutches for a few weeks. I waited 20 years for them to grow up to get another bike, so I wouldnt be injured myself while needing to raise them. Then right away, my son gets injured. lol. Not off to a great start with my wifee. Still heading to Edgefield SC to CGI Facility this weekend for open practice. Their track is absolutely phenomenal.

Good luck on your DRZ!! Hope you enjoy it!

Beautiful bike! Sorry about your son, I’m sure he will learn one way or another just like we all do/have. Going for another ride later today after work, already loving riding.. just trying to figure out the clutch more

KHNC

WKR
I'm floored so many of you are recommending a 2 stroke. Many very HOT bikes listed. You all are gonna get him F'd up really quick.
He got a 4 stroke DRZ. yes a 250 2 stroke is a hot bike, but he is also 245lbs. It wasnt a bad recommendation imo.

KHNC

WKR
I ordered the Rekluse X for my bike, it’s still in the mail. More of less seeing if I can figure out the clutch comfortably before installing it

Im sure you read my post, but the rekluse X will operate EXACTLY like your stock clutch, or you can just skip using clutch too. Very important that you get it installed correctly, along with break in. Also, read up on YOUTUBE about setting up your suspension sag and fork compression and rebound. Sag is very important for proper feel and stability.

I didn't make it that far until now. I just test drove a DRZ400 Saturday. I am more advanced than the OP. Wasn't for me.

Think the DR is probably the perfect selection for him.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Im sure you read my post, but the rekluse X will operate EXACTLY like your stock clutch, or you can just skip using clutch too. Very important that you get it installed correctly, along with break in. Also, read up on YOUTUBE about setting up your suspension sag and fork compression and rebound. Sag is very important for proper feel and stability.

I just want it to make me not worry about using the clutch and I can just idle in 1st at stops and not stall out haha. It takes the stressful part of riding of out the equation until I get more comfortable. I feel once I get comfortable on that I can try and learn to use the clutch more

My one buddy that’s a gear head is flying out to visit soon and has installed them before so he said he can help install and get the bike set up once here in a couple days

KHNC

WKR
I just want it to make me not worry about using the clutch and I can just idle in 1st at stops and not stall out haha. It takes the stressful part of riding of out the equation until I get more comfortable. I feel once I get comfortable on that I can try and learn to use the clutch more

My one buddy that’s a gear head is flying out to visit soon and has installed them before so he said he can help install and get the bike set up once here in a couple days

Oh yeah, im not disagreeing with you. Just pointing it out. Hope you enjoy!

Millions have learned to use a Clutch. If you're typing here, you're fully competent. Skip the Rekluse. Go learn to ride the bike. That is a great selection/purchase for you.

It shouldn't Bite you. Very manageble. The Clutch is 80-90% of learning to ride a dirt bike. It's both the fun and the heart of the experience.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Millions have learned to use a Clutch. If you're typing here, you're fully competent. Skip the Rekluse. Go learn to ride the bike. That is a great selection/purchase for you.

It shouldn't Bite you. Very manageble. The Clutch is 80-90% of learning to ride a dirt bike. It's both the fun and the heart of the experience.

No disagreement on that!

I ordered it just in case I want to put it in while my buddy is here. It’s free returns/return shipping so I have nothing to loose but be out the money until I return it. More of a backup plan in case I want it I’m not wanting to ride the bike and mad cause I can’t later is all

Just want to be able to enjoy it right away and not be stressed out the entire time

I own a KTM 450 EXC. I was loaned a 300 XC for a month. I disagree. As a novice....I wanted no part of anything 2 stroke. Slight throttle delay and decent power roll on are for sure a good thing.

His DRZ will have exactly that.

I've only been riding a handful of years. But as someone who has taken on a new hobby and learned from scratch later in life, that would not at all be the direction I would have steered him.

Over now as he's made the purchase. Which I think is a great one.

Dont over think it. Just ride the thing an figure it out as you go. Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket might help you a lil while you are learning.

Also dunno if it was mentioned But the IRC youtube channel does a pretty good job at explaining what to do, and why you wanna do that. I gotta skip through the vids though as that guy does love the sound of his own voice lol. Can learn a lot from that channel though

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I own a KTM 450 EXC. I was loaned a 300 XC for a month. I disagree. As a novice....I wanted no part of anything 2 stroke. Slight throttle delay and decent power roll on are for sure a good thing.

His DRZ will have exactly that.

I've only been riding a handful of years. But as someone who has taken on a new hobby and learned from scratch later in life, that would not at all be the direction I would have steered him.

Over now as he's made the purchase. Which I think is a great one.

Thank you! Haha I read quite a few different things online and they all said it’s a great commuter/trail/off-road all in one bike so I figured I can’t really go wrong. Especially for such a cheap price out the gate. Can’t really mess it up.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
See thats just sounds so backwards to me lol. I own a 300xcw and a 350sx that is set up for the woods. While that 350 is a legit bike, the 300 is just so much easier.

I agree about the drz though. Thats going to be a great bike to learn on.

I live in Nevada, southern end in Vegas so it’s all loose gravel/red rock and sand… hopefully the drz can hold up in it

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
They are a solid bike. Kinda heavy and outdated. But for what your needs are, it will do everything you ask of it and then some.

What size sprockets are on it?

14T front
47T rear

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
We ride very different areas. Around here that would be geared pretty tall.

Just welded up a bike for a kid that had a 450x that was geared like that. He couldnt get it to go slow enough. 13T front sprocket helped him out quite a bit.

As a complete novice on bikes I’m not entirely sure I’d know the difference until later, but if that’s the case I guess I’ll have to cross that ridge when I get to it haha