Drinking Nothing but Water for a Full Year

Loper

WKR
Anybody just drink water, nothing else? In 2023 I successfully finished a challenge I gave myself to see if I could go a whole year drinking nothing but water.

I’ve never been a big soda drinker so that wasn’t difficult. A couple of years before, I made a conscious effort to drank less alcohol, and would go months at a time without an adult beverage. Before the pandemic I wanted to reduce my sugar intake so I didn’t put sugar in my coffee. 6 months later I stopped putting creamer in my coffee and would drink it black. During the pandemic I wasn’t going into the office and without my usual routine, I realized I wouldn’t always drink coffee in the morning.

A few months before I started on this H2O challenge I was doing the 75 Hard challenge and while I didn’t complete it fully, some of things stuck with me, particularly drinking a gallon of water each day.

While I wasn’t successful at 75 Hard, a little bit later, I realized since I was drinking so much water I could probably drink water exclusively. I decided to challenge myself and see if I could go a full year just drinking water.

I can honestly say that during the time I was drinking water exclusively, I was the healthiest I’ve been my entire life. Without booze, I woke up with a clear mind each morning and didn’t have an excuse to stay in bed and exercised almost every morning.

I also had much better sleep. By waking up earlier to exercise each morning I’d be worn out in the evenings and would want to go to bed as soon as possible. Without caffeine falling asleep wasn’t a struggle. I also wouldn’t be staying up having drinks with my buddies, throwing off my sleep cycle.

Sometimes my buddies or my wife would get annoyed that I wasn’t having a drink with them. I didn’t always crave an adult beverage but there were plenty of times where it was pretty difficult to resist. However, I wanted to see it through and prove to myself that I had the discipline to complete the goal that I gave myself.

When it was cold out, it could definitely be challenging to not indulge in some coffee, warm tea, or hot chocolate.

I think having a secondary goal really helped. While I didn’t drink a gallon of water every single day of the year, I probably drank a gallon 5 days out of every week. When your goal is to drink that much water, you don’t often have the capacity to intake any other liquids.

Anyone have any personal challenges that plan to take on in 2024? If so, what are they?

I have taken discipline to an unhealthy level and will never be suckered into that again.

Take it as far as you want, but we cash in the chips some day. Balance is a much more difficult beast than unrelenting self-discipline.

As for me, i'm going to have a coffee, enjoy a beer, run the miles, lift the weights, do the hard stuff, eat the food, and enjoy the good times.

That's pretty cool. Did you ever add electrolytes or similar to your water?

I will indulge in a Churro Stout on your behalf.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All I drink is water, coffee flavored water, and milk.......which is mostly water. Been that way for years. But for this year, I'm trying to cut back on the dead carbs.......you know.......desserts, ice cream, donuts, and my favorite.......deep-fried apple fritters. We'll see how it goes, and whether I'll still be able to get back up to hunting weight by Sept. I might have to lift more.

WyoKid

WKR
I have mostly drank water for over 40 years. I stopped drinking soda at 13 as it would give me nose bleeds. Never touched that stuff again.

Occasionally, I will have a beer or two. That only happens once a month. I don't drink hard liquor, coffee, milk or tea.

I cut out candy 25 years ago.

I then cut refined carbs such as donuts, cookies, bagels, store bought bread, or other refined carbs 20 years ago. I will still indulge on special occasions but that might be 3 or 4 times a year.

In the last year, I cut out chicken and pork. Still eat fish and occasional beef but mostly wild game and birds.

I feel better, less fatigue and definitely healthier.

It is easier to do make small changes in life style. I have never been overweight, no diabetes, no high blood pressure, no bowel or bladder problems, and no heart issues.

Impressive goal! What an accomplishment.
I drink water and black coffee daily as well.
I may have a little dirty h2o once in a blue moon. Being born in the south I stopped drinking sweet tea over 30 years ago. Unsweet only.
My workouts are too important to wreck with alcohol.

OXN939

WKR
Anybody just drink water, nothing else? In 2023 I successfully finished a challenge I gave myself to see if I could go a whole year drinking nothing but water.

I’ve never been a big soda drinker so that wasn’t difficult. A couple of years before, I made a conscious effort to drank less alcohol, and would go months at a time without an adult beverage. Before the pandemic I wanted to reduce my sugar intake so I didn’t put sugar in my coffee. 6 months later I stopped putting creamer in my coffee and would drink it black. During the pandemic I wasn’t going into the office and without my usual routine, I realized I wouldn’t always drink coffee in the morning.

A few months before I started on this H2O challenge I was doing the 75 Hard challenge and while I didn’t complete it fully, some of things stuck with me, particularly drinking a gallon of water each day.

While I wasn’t successful at 75 Hard, a little bit later, I realized since I was drinking so much water I could probably drink water exclusively. I decided to challenge myself and see if I could go a full year just drinking water.

I can honestly say that during the time I was drinking water exclusively, I was the healthiest I’ve been my entire life. Without booze, I woke up with a clear mind each morning and didn’t have an excuse to stay in bed and exercised almost every morning.

I also had much better sleep. By waking up earlier to exercise each morning I’d be worn out in the evenings and would want to go to bed as soon as possible. Without caffeine falling asleep wasn’t a struggle. I also wouldn’t be staying up having drinks with my buddies, throwing off my sleep cycle.

Sometimes my buddies or my wife would get annoyed that I wasn’t having a drink with them. I didn’t always crave an adult beverage but there were plenty of times where it was pretty difficult to resist. However, I wanted to see it through and prove to myself that I had the discipline to complete the goal that I gave myself.

When it was cold out, it could definitely be challenging to not indulge in some coffee, warm tea, or hot chocolate.

I think having a secondary goal really helped. While I didn’t drink a gallon of water every single day of the year, I probably drank a gallon 5 days out of every week. When your goal is to drink that much water, you don’t often have the capacity to intake any other liquids.

Anyone have any personal challenges that plan to take on in 2024? If so, what are they?

Just water for months here. Alcohol and high sugar sodas taste like the poison they are if you cut them out for a while. Built my sheep rifle with the money I would have spent on coffee in a year

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Good on you. I've found challenges like this are great for developing mental strength that you can then apply to other areas of your life.

Similarly (but less restrictive), I essentially cut out soda pop two years ago, going from one can per day to about three cans per year. Just a small change in itself. But without that big slug of high fructose corn syrup, my taste buds recalibrated and other high-sugar snacks began tasting too sweet. Which made "quitting" (except on occasion) candy bars and candy pretty darn easy.

One random heads-up on water containers. There are some new studies out on microplastics in water bottles. These are small enough to cross the blood brain barrier and bioaccumulate in brain tissue. No sense being chicken little about it, but worth having on your radar: https://www.healthline.com/health-n...ttle-may-contain-240000-plastic-nanoparticles

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I have mostly drank water for over 40 years. I stopped drinking soda at 13 as it would give me nose bleeds. Never touched that stuff again.

Occasionally, I will have a beer or two. That only happens once a month. I don't drink hard liquor, coffee, milk or tea.

I cut out candy 25 years ago.

I then cut refined carbs such as donuts, cookies, bagels, store bought bread, or other refined carbs 20 years ago. I will still indulge on special occasions but that might be 3 or 4 times a year.

In the last year, I cut out chicken and pork. Still eat fish and occasional beef but mostly wild game and birds.

I feel better, less fatigue and definitely healthier.

It is easier to do make small changes in life style. I have never been overweight, no diabetes, no high blood pressure, no bowel or bladder problems, and no heart issues.

This is probably the most impressive thing in this thread. One year is nothing, compared to 40.

I certainly understand cutting out sugar and some of the carbs, and pork, but I’m curious though why you cut out chicken. Most of the time I’m only eating chicken as it seems like a very clean meat to eat.

I agree that making small changes can add up to make a big difference.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Impressive goal! What an accomplishment.
I drink water and black coffee daily as well.
I may have a little dirty h2o once in a blue moon. Being born in the south I stopped drinking sweet tea over 30 years ago. Unsweet only.
My workouts are too important to wreck with alcohol.

Smart move cutting out the sweet tea. It tasted good to me at one time years ago, but now it would probably taste like nothing but sugar.

I like your last sentence. I feel the same way. Often times my excuse to my buddies as to why I wouldn’t drink beers with them at night was that I had a long run or workout first thing the next morning.