How much water?- November in Arizona

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A buddy and myself are considering a Coues deer hunt in Arizona, mid November (assuming we draw :D). I backpacked this area last March where this area was experiencing 300-500% of normal snowpack. We had water everywhere. That was a rare year and I know March water is likely to be much different than November water.

This will be a backpack hunt. What do you think is a realistic amount of water/day with temps in the 30-60's, drinking water, a cup of coffee in the morning and a freeze dried supper- probably hiking 5-10 miles/day?

I'd love to count on one of the springs (there aren't a lot, but a few) but that could be foolish in November I'm thinking.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Up until this week its been a very dry winter. It varies a lot year to year, but id say that is a little early for our winter rains. A 100oz bladder/day min and prob more

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Coues hunt S AZ. We plan for and use ~1gal a day for what you list for food and drink. You didn’t list breakfast but that includes an oatmeal mix for me. When you get a cold year you might use less, hot year more. We at times pack in water pre season while scouting if there’s no water available where we’re hunting.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Plan on bringing all the water you will need for sunshine and daytime temps up to the 70s. I only count on permanent springs.

You can leave water at the truck if it is a wet time with water everywhere. Even then, sometimes the wetness can vary.

Always stash water on the way in and drink or dump it on your way out. I have been thirsty and bordering on dangerous one too many times on the last few miles finishing a hike…

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys! I was thinking 3.5 liters-ish- 7.5 lbs/day, so I'm in the ballpark- going to be a lot of water weightier sure! :D

@hereinaz that's a good tip!- our hike into (and out) of the area is probably going to be our longest days

S.Clancy

WKR
On my mulie hunt this fall down there I packed in 8L, so enough for 2 days. That is a minimum for me, to feel good I need to drink more especially when you are off trail hiking, that terrain is gnarly.

I packed in 8 miles and luckily had a good water source. That trip wouldn't have been feasible without locating water. I also saw some pretty nice coues bucks where I hunted, but they were the minority, most deer were mulies. Also saw rams, some elk and a couple of fatty black bears. AZ is sweet.

I'm pretty sure I know the unit you are gonna be applying in. I am excited to see how the hunting is, hoping you draw!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Thanks!

We found several named springs, would be nice if it was closer as I could check them out ahead of time or worse case we could cache water ahead of time. We'll just have to play it safe :)

pirogue

WKR
There usually/can be a huge difference in the northernmost Coues units compared to the southernmost Coues units in AZ, not only from the daily temperatures in November, but the precipitation amount from the past winter.