Drawing NM 2nd or 3rd choice

CMF

WKR
Are you saying that the system is rigged to award first time applicants a hunt but then they will never draw again? If so I beat the system by not drawing a thing my first time applying.
I don't think he saying you'll never draw again, but there seems to be some evidence that there is a slight advantage for first-time applicants. I and my son drew <4% tags the first year we applied(2019&21). Although I apply 2 other kids, wife and fil, that didn't draw their first time, it's still 2 out of 6 for tags with odds of 1 in >25... I've since drawn a deer tag so I definitely can't agree with never drawing again.

So there is some consensus that NM sucks you in. Now they hold $7,000 of mine until the draw. They must hedge the money somehow. Earning big short term returns. The big financial guys know how.
We certainly don't earn interest.

Jethro

WKR
No consensus from me on the rookie applicant drawing theory. I think that's internet nonsense. I drew a great tag 3rd time applying and 5th time applying.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
lets just hope I draw my second or third chose bighorn hunts! I will take anything related to sheep!

Last edited:
I drew NM in 2019 and 2020 deer 3rd choice, so it happens.... This year I should be drawing 2C Rifle deer first choice and 16D Archery elk first choice!😆🤣

Are you saying that the system is rigged to award first time applicants a hunt but then they will never draw again? If so I beat the system by not drawing a thing my first time applying.
Me too.

And I still give them my money every year. For 14 straight years. They still haven’t given me a tag.

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I had 3rd choice deer last year and first choice for elk. This year I put a really tough hunt as first choice so I’ll get 2nd or 3rd choice if I get anything. The rule changes messed up my system for estimating my draw odds.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I never realized so many of you were applying in Northern Mexico. Neat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HuntNM

FNG
So there is some consensus that NM sucks you in. Now they hold $7,000 of mine until the draw. They must hedge the money somehow. Earning big short term returns. The big financial guys know how.
We certainly don't earn interest.
Good, and I hope it always stays that way, along with raising non-resident fees. Up-front fees allow for more committed hunters to be on the pool, and weed out a large chunk of no-show draw winners.

HuntNM

FNG
I drew a 2nd choice elk hunt last year, and I was a first time elk-hunting applicant the year prior, and did not draw. FWIW.

arob

FNG
Congratulations. We drew muzz in VV oct 7-11 so I know how excited you must be. Hopefully someone one here has been there recently and point us in the right direction.