Do you hit your dog ?

Lol that lady should see how dogs correct each other's behavior, it's far less pretty than a tapon the nose.

Definitely depends on the dog though, my griff turns into Eyore if you use too harsh of a tone, my draht that passed away would pretty much always fall right in line like "oh yep, you're right boss" after a light tap or harsh word.
Griffs have a different temperament than a lot of breeds. They do not take discipline very well. It's very easy to break their spirit.

KurtR

WKR
Griffs have a different temperament than a lot of breeds. They do not take discipline very well. It's very easy to break their spirit.
My friend has a griff and he made him a little gun shy. Boy what a different temperament than I was used to with labs. It took a month of just straight fun throwing pigeons with no rules and working along ways out to closer to get him to forget about the gun. Fun happy dog but dang just look at him wrong and his feelings were hurt. He gets excited seeing the gun now and is pretty nice bird dog.

I connect specific commands and sounds to punishment. If the dog hears, "Ah Ah Ah" it knows to stop or be punished. Rarely say it since she turned 1 year old. She learned pretty quick.

abby.jpegIMG_0661.JPG

Of course, last Halloween she convinced me to let her do anything she felt like doing that night.

abbyhalloween.jpg

Last edited:

Jolley78MT

Lil-Rokslider
I believe in discipline but have never had to to much other than when they are you. Occasionally a show of force is needed, of course I feel the same about kids and God forbide you discipline your kid in public, oh boy.

Best dog I ever had I had to pop him on the nose exactly twice in his life when he was just a pup, but I think most need a bit more than that. He was something special and at 2 1/2 years old he became epileptic. The sicker he got I know I cut him some slack but he always sought to please and was without a doubt the most loyal companion of my life. I still tear up just talking about him even though it's going on three years since he's been gone.

Sorry, started going off topic a bit. Anyway, yes I believe firm discipline is needed at times. I always try and do the least amount to get the point across. Tell that snobby b!t@h to mind her own business

Q child

WKR
I've gotten pretty soft on my dog in recent years. She's getting older and is really well behaved almost all of the time. When she messes up these days, I don't hit her.
I hit her on occasion when we were younger though. Also, just treated her rougher. For example, I've grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and thrown her into the ocean for rolling in dead salmon more than once. Now a days, we just come home and she takes a warm bath. She still hates it, but its obviously a lot better. I've never been able to overcome a dogs instinct to roll in dead salmon, so punishing her for it seems silly now. I feel regretful that I treated her harshly before. She's my best friend.

bdg848

WKR
My GSP has been smacked when caught getting in the trash. I used to believe that if you didn't catch the dog in the act, then you shouldn't discipline them because they don't understand......Well, I don't believe that anymore since the time when I came home in a perfectly good mood and that dog jumped off the couch and slinked away to her kennel with ears down and her tail between her legs. I said "what did you do?" and she rolled belly up in the "I surrender" pose. What do I find in the kitchen but the can knocked over and trash EVERYWHERE......

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know if it’s right or wrong, but I will say this. I had a chocolate lab puppy back in the early 90s that chewed up a pair of my sandals, and I took what was left of them and beat the shit out of her with ‘em. I actually didn’t exactly “beat the shit out of her”, but I did spank her with one of the sandals, and she never chewed on anything that wasn’t one of her toys ever again. In my defense, it was a Birkenstock, so there is that. On a sidenote, I’ve also spanked my kids occasionally when they were younger, but I never did it out of anger, and maybe that doesn’t make any difference, but I think they’ve turned out pretty good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In her defense, most likely that Birkenstock was a living, breathing thing and she did you a favor.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
I've gotten pretty soft on my dog in recent years. She's getting older and is really well behaved almost all of the time. When she messes up these days, I don't hit her.
I hit her on occasion when we were younger though. Also, just treated her rougher. For example, I've grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and thrown her into the ocean for rolling in dead salmon more than once. Now a days, we just come home and she takes a warm bath. She still hates it, but its obviously a lot better. I've never been able to overcome a dogs instinct to roll in dead salmon, so punishing her for it seems silly now. I feel regretful that I treated her harshly before. She's my best friend.
When I lived in Michigan I did a lot of Grouse and Woodcock hunting . It was common to come upon fresh bear scat . Both my Weims loved to roll in it , they wanted it right on their head . Believe me , riding home with them was not fun . Three hour ride smelling that , lol

There is difference between using a physical correction and beating a dog the latter has no place in it. The dog its self can also determine what you need to do. I messed my dog up saying "no here" to many times when we first started running blinds and expecting perfection. Had to go back and build his confidence back up and that was just simple verbal pressure. When it came to force to pile work i had to front sit him and back nick back as the traditional way of sending at the side just shut him down and we are talking low 1 and 2 on the collar i could hardly feel the tingle on my arm. Swim by i took an extra amount of time to teach teach teach before we forced at all to make sure he understood exactly what the collar meant. He is a funny dog and will stay in his feelings if i get on him to hard at the wrong time. Now with maturing and hitting 3 year old in Feb he can take a little more pressure and understands right and wrong decisions and a correction is not the end of the world. Crazy thing is talking to a pro who new a fc afc dog 3 generations back said Rudy had the same temperament. We went from blinds being a weak spot to getting compliments at finished tests on how he runs them.

On the other hand my friends dog that i train with his little female dont care if you would nail her with a 2x4 she wants more. Never holds a grudge and is just a million miles and hour. We both have learned alot having dogs on opposite ends of the spectrum.

It comes down to reading the dog in front of you and training with the smallest amount of pressure needed to get the results you want.
Agree. Dogs, even of same breed, are individual and a good trainer can see their temperament and work with them quickly.

To the OP. Not disagreeing with correcting dog. I sometimes had same issue with my old Chessie. Instead of using the lead in public, I would break his distraction, by tapping his toe with my foot or a discrete quick tug up on the lead. Then give a command. Just different ways of accomplishing something. He was a dog that would shut down when he had enough of the ecollar and just refuse to work. But would take an ear or toe pinch for force fetch so much that I had to use a hose clamp on my finger to apply enough pressure.

My advice is from my experience with a lab and a Siberian husky. The lab got swatted on the butt when he got in the trash, kitty litter, etc, but I couldn’t make him listen to me when his stomach was doing the talking. I’d catch him in the act sometimes and he knew he was in trouble, but he never stopped trying to to get that kitty rocca. Otherwise commands worked well with him. Never needed a leash with him or a shock collar.

The husky needed electricity to stop her bad deeds, either shock collar or electric wire. They are born hunters and wanderers and they are fast! I put a few beatings on her when she got into the chickens, but it didn’t work, her instinct was too much to overcome. She wanted the bird more than making the spankings stop.

End of the day, you have to adjust your life to the type of dog you have. You have to be aware of their specific temptations and manage accordingly. A bird dog doesn’t belong in an apartment and a husky doesn’t belong on a farm with livestock.

Edit: the husky did flush pheasants like a dream though. Who would have thought!

Last edited:

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
I just shake my head at this entire thread. Except for the first post, where the true question was asked.
First, if training a dog, positive influence is the best path. I have trained several dogs that would do exactly what I wanted them to on command using this method and about 95% of other successful trainers do the same. My current dog is a Shepinois, it's amazing what she will do. I do use a correction collar but when I trained her at the lowest setting, she received the stimulation on every positive command, not the negative.

As far as bringing kids and Jesus into a dog training conversation you should be ashamed.
1. Jesus is our savior and we should model our lives in the light of Jesus. Nothing more nothing less. Dogs don't go to heaven and dogs are not on the same level of God's human creation.
2. Your children are to follow the head of household and the word of God. You should treat your child like a child of God if that's your thing and I hope it is. If your child is in need of discipline to correct behavior, you should do so.
In my interpretation, it is also to be in positive intent.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

PMcGee

WKR
When I lived in Michigan I did a lot of Grouse and Woodcock hunting . It was common to come upon fresh bear scat . Both my Weims loved to roll in it , they wanted it right on their head . Believe me , riding home with them was not fun . Three hour ride smelling that , lol

My GSP does it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Hit? When I hear that I’m envisioning a closed fist. To that, nope never. Physical correction, a swat on the butt, light cuff up side the head, pinch on the ear? Sure, depending on the situation. Correction on an e-collar? If my pup for some reason is heading full bore into a busy road, it’ll get the juice. All depends on the dog and the situation. You as the trainer have to be good enough to know when to use physical correction, if at all, but it should be in your repertoire IMO. “Hitting” a pet out of anger to punish the dog for what it’s done, rather than to teach it what’s right just makes you a bad dog owner and probably a jerk to boot.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
I like the e collar more, especially for off leash training. That way you don't have to be close enough to give them a love tap.

If the collar isn't on, I also train for a finger snap. If they don't listen after the snap, then a swat to the butt (or take the time to get the e collar)

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
I don't hit my kids or spank them, and you can spare me the man-made religious garbage. Since you seem to like fiction and kids living in fear, don't forget the great quotes from the Old Testament that condone killing your kid if they don't turn out the way you had hoped:

If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and who, when they have chastened him, will not heed them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city. And they shall say to the elders of his city, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.” Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear. Deuteronomy 21:18–21

Man, I am really glad my parents didn’t read this when I was growing up