Denali Park Flag Flying Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems appropriate here.
View attachment 718721
i mean there's not 13 stripes or 50 stars on those napkins or plates.

also, i am pretty sure the road is closed down to public traffic a ways before the actual construction site. They are also doing some blasting for the construction as well. wonder if the people will complain about that as well and try to get the whole thing shut down.

Nothing I disagree with here - but this is standard flag protocol, and has nothing to do with the seemingly pejorative 'ultranationalism' as used above.

Flags are unbelievably powerful and rhetorically filled symbols. We capture flags, plant flags, wave flags, burn flags, raise flags (ala Iwo Jima). There is nothing remotely pejorative about any citizen of any country flying the flag of their country or wearing the colors of their flag respectfully. The fact that some see this as nefarious is in itself symptomatic of a country in decline.
I don't want to turn this into a different debate...

But I feel like I'd be more excited to see a US flag if my grandfather hadn't been pulled from a segregated community and put on a landing craft on the beaches of Normandy, then denied most veteran benefits because of his brown skin...

ODB

WKR

But I feel like I'd be more excited to see a US flag if my grandfather hadn't been pulled from a segregated community and put on a landing craft on the beaches of Normandy, then denied most veteran benefits because of his brown skin...

Which flag would you like to see then?

It's easy to be a critic, mate. Give us a better, realistic, alternative.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't want to derail just drop this nugget about racism.

Can this country do better? Hell yes it can and has since your grandfather was treated as a second class citizen. I honestly believe we will continue to improve equality in this country.

Of course just being born an American brings unfathomable privileges vs those in other countries. If you don't believe that you haven't traveled abroad enough.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.