Yeti releases $400 cast iron skillet

intunegp

WKR
Isn't "hand-forged cast iron" a bit of an oxymoron?

I have a vintage Wagner that's nice and smooth, and an ~8 year old Lodge that's pretty rough and struggle to tell much difference in the non-stick properties. I think you guys are wasting your time and sandpaper making your cast irons all smooth and shiny. Buy a Lodge, cook a big pile of bacon, then use it. Keep it clean, don't be scared to use soap...it doesn't have lye in it anymore so it won't hurt your seasoning.

Anyway, wait until some of you guys find out people collect all the different colors of Yeti stuff. Do we have to be nice to them now since they're a forum sponsor?

ODB

WKR
I had a whole script written out from the boardroom of Yeti but deleted it and will just say: How ******* stupid.

It goes to show you what Yeti thinks of the sheep, I mean customers: they will buy any thing for any price.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Kinda funny when you look at some of the cooler tests where you can buy a cooler for a fraction of the cost of a Yeti with better ice retention performance.

"I have a vintage Wagner that's nice and smooth"

Our best pan, the one we got for $3 at a garage sale is an old Wagner. It also has "Sidney" on it.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
I was gonna say. Yall guys are missing out. I have several le creuset pieces. still cheaper then the yeti and much prettier.

Agreed, they’re great. Better for dishes that require deglazing than straight cast iron. Wife is addicted to them, finds at garage and estate sales now and then for around a quarter of the price. There is another close version made in Germany I think, Staub? Something like that. Those are good too.

I almost bought one of his ash trays a while back. He’s incredibly talented! I’d say if I see one pop up for sale again he’ll have my money.
His stuff sells out very quickly after hitting his website! Gotta be quick on the trigger if you want something.

ozyclint

WKR
Isn't "hand-forged cast iron" a bit of an oxymoron?

I have a vintage Wagner that's nice and smooth, and an ~8 year old Lodge that's pretty rough and struggle to tell much difference in the non-stick properties. I think you guys are wasting your time and sandpaper making your cast irons all smooth and shiny. Buy a Lodge, cook a big pile of bacon, then use it. Keep it clean, don't be scared to use soap...it doesn't have lye in it anymore so it won't hurt your seasoning.

Anyway, wait until some of you guys find out people collect all the different colors of Yeti stuff. Do we have to be nice to them now since they're a forum sponsor?
Yes, it's an oxymoron. Not because of the hand made part but because you don't forge cast iron. Cast iron is, well, cast. It's poured into a mold at a foundry. The metallurgy of cast iron doesn't allow it to be forged.

The $400 is for the Yeti letters in the mold.

Most likely poured in the same foundry on the same line as any $20 skillet

I was given a Smith iron 14” has a gift. Not saying I would pay that much myself but its a significant difference over my lodge. Cooking surface, clean up etc is vastly different

I use it at least 5 times a week and as much as 10x. a week

as far as Yeti, more power to them, looks like they used a great partner, and kept it state side

775mud

FNG
Man, I don’t know how I’ve been cooking without this cast iron. Are you even a cook if you don’t have a yeti symbol on the cast iron?

I was given a Smith iron 14” has a gift. Not saying I would pay that much myself but its a significant difference over my lodge. Cooking surface, clean up etc is vastly different

I use it at least 5 times a week and as much as 10x. a week

as far as Yeti, more power to them, looks like they used a great partner, and kept it state side
The same result could be achieved from polishing and re-seasoning a cheap one.

I suppose it’s more convenient when the finishing is already smooth, but when it comes down to it, cast iron is cast iron.

intunegp

WKR
Does any like using a cast iron grill pan?

I got one as a gift...I like cooking certain things in it, but cleaning it is a pain. Every time I use it for some nice "grill" marks on some chicken breasts or something I kind of end up wondering why I didn't just use the regular skillet and get a good sear on the whole thing.