Denali National Park bridge crew ordered to stop flying American flags

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ski

WKR
I don't recall making any "wild accusations" nor asking anyone to prove or disprove anything.

This event, to me, appears to have occurred in some way. Some other character suggested it did not in any capacity. I'm curious if he has evidence outside of a screenshot social media post to that effect.

I read his follow-up article as additional details and clarification.
Clarification...you mean he tried to make the lie more believable?

2ski

WKR
You obviously didn't bother to read either article. Rather, you decided to come on here to pontificate and spew forth your distaste for people with a different view than your own. How tolerant you are.

The superintendent told the crew they could not display the American flag while outside of the construction project - this is not hearsay but from the on-site construction worker. They were ordered to stop flying the flags from their trucks as it detracts from the "park experience."

Below is a quote from the second article, in relevant part;

He is allowing the workers to fly the flags for about a mile and a half, as long as they are on the project site, but he said he has no say about what happens on the rest of Denali Park Road,” the crewman explained. “Once we go over the bridge and down the road, we’re not allowed to have them.”

"As to the legitimacy of the statement put out by the National Park Service, the crewman said, “There were some fallacies in it, but there were some truths, too – like when they said that they don’t dictate to us what goes on at the job site. But that’s not the issue. It’s not the issue of the job site. It’s the 40 miles [of park road].

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Wow. Really. Wow.....

It's not worth the time for me because I don't think you'd get it. Good luck on your new week.

It really doesn't matter if the story is real or not.

It's very well within the realm of possibility, and no one here would be actually surprised if it were true.

Disgusted? Yes. Surprised? No.

And therein lies the problem.
I guess it sorta matters if the story is real or not when this person’s face and name has been shared tens of thousands of times all over social media and now on national TV. Imagine if someone at your work heard you talking about guns and then made an anonymous report that you were going to harm people based off this info. Would their reporting and your subsequent smearing be justified because you merely owning a firearm does indeed make this person’s claim within “the realm of possibility.”

I’m by no means defending her if this is true; but first and foremost I’m concerned with if this is indeed true before I call for someone’s job. I will give everyone that courtesy. The 20% of people in this country on both the far right and far left are essentially a mirror image of each other.

t_carlson

WKR
I guess it sorta matters if the story is real or not when this person’s face and name has been shared tens of thousands of times all over social media and now on national TV. Imagine if someone at your work heard you talking about guns and then made an anonymous report that you were going to harm people based off this info. Would their reporting and your subsequent smearing be justified because you merely owning a firearm does indeed make this person’s claim within “the realm of possibility.”

I’m by no means defending her if this is true; but first and foremost I’m concerned with if this is indeed true before I call for someone’s job. I will give everyone that courtesy. The 20% of people in this country on both the far right and far left are essentially a mirror image of each other.

"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" -- Anton Chigurh, No Country for Old Men

Maybe I'm in the 20%, but I don't really care anymore.

"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" -- Anton Chigurh, No Country for Old Men

Maybe I'm in the 20%, but I don't really care anymore.
Anton also didn't care about anything...

A completely amoral fictional character is a pretty interesting choice here...

OP
LongWayAround
How do we know the anonymous nps intern's social media post was true?

I'm in favor of holding bureaucrats accountable.

Totally. We should all be outraged and call for a transfer from Portland's head because it's possible she could have done something unamerican.

What a sad state of affairs. People just looking for reasons to enact outrage on some shit that possibly could have happened.

MattB

WKR
Totally. We should all be outraged and call for a transfer from Portland's head because it's possible she could have done something unamerican.

What a sad state of affairs. People just looking for reasons to enact outrage on some shit that possibly could have happened.
If I have said it once, I have aid it 20 times - searching out things to get upset about is the new American past time.

Ucsdryder

WKR
If I have said it once, I have aid it 20 times - searching out things to get upset about is the new American past time.
if anybody ever wondered why RS doesn’t allow political threads look no further than this dumpster fire.

I agree with what you said. Read cnn and Fox News. They’ll report the same story with a completely different spin and equal outrage. It’s nauseating.

What in the world? He cared deeply about some odd stuff. For example, he was compelled by his personal ethic to kill Llewellyn's wife. Carson Wells described him as "principled."
Anything is definitely the wrong word...

He didn't have any grand moral code, any overarching philosophy, any big guiding principles.

The only principle I'd have ascribed to him was following through with his decisions. Which were frequently just chance.

Even among Cormac's characters... Judge Holden seems more principled to me. And I'm not sure he's not the devil.

On edit- I love the literary debate that we've spun off!

Last edited:
I'm only halfway through Blood Meridian. I think I mentioned in another thread it's too terrifying and I can only read it a bit at a time.

I don't think we know enough about Anton to assess if he had any big guiding principles. His character, even though he was the villain, was kept fairly mysterious. I bet if we asked Carson he could make an assessment.

I'm only halfway through Blood Meridian. I think I mentioned in another thread it's too terrifying and I can only read it a bit at a time.

I don't think we know enough about Anton to assess if he had any big guiding principles. His character, even though he was the villain, was kept fairly mysterious. I bet if we asked Carson he could make an assessment.
I'm almost through.

My 4th or 5th attempt.

It's compelling, but so bleak.

I think that's why I love Cormac, he's so detailed, but the way he writes leaves just enough unknown.

Dos XX

WKR
You don't have to search them out. They feed them right to you. You don't have to eat it, though.

No doubt about it, they want you to be outraged. There are multiple reasons why this is so. Some are politically motivated, and some are financially motivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.