Yeti releases $400 cast iron skillet

def90

WKR
Having worked in high end residential construction for 25 years I can guarantee you that there are more than enough people with F-you money to buy a $400 pan in this country.

I can also say that having some restaurant kitchen experience in my past that I am a bit of a foodie and semi-pro chef. I have a Field cast iron pan that cost somewhere around $160 and a Lodge cast iron pan that cost somewhere around $40.. The Field is superior in every way over the Lodge hands down. I could take a palm sander to the Lodge and never achieve the same finish that the Field has. Yes, it does make a difference.

Caveat.. It's hard to explain but if you're usual dinner consists of dinty moore beef stew you probably won't notice a difference. If you have spent time in a working kitchen you will.

The above post referrencing what hunters pay for gear is right on. Sure you can spend $400 for a Sitka or whatever jacket you want or $300 for your Schees or Crispi boots but guys have been shooting deer for decades wearing Carhartts, red plaid jackets and Sorel boots.

$400 for the Yeti? I'd have to see it first in order to judge. It might not be for me but I'm not going to poo-poo it or tell the guy that just spent $130k for his Land Rover Defender for his vacation home what to do with his money.

Axis deer tenderloin on a mushroom puree white wine pan sauce, with pan seared brussel sprouts all cooked on both my Field and my Lodge cast iron pans.

IMG_20230527_180848823.jpg

Last edited:
I don‘t mind paying for yeti quality if there is not equal substitute in quality at less cost that works for my purposes that I know I will be as satisfied with. Personal satisfaction after the purchase is key for me at my age. At 60 I am not trying to impress others or fit in. I’m trying to satisfy myself.
In the case of the yeti cast iron fry pan. There are equal quality selections well below the cost of the yeti.