Denali Park Flag Flying Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjh

Lil-Rokslider
In the 24/7 hyper infomation/news/edutainment/influencer left/right echo chambers of our realms of view and influence.......at this point......what is the truth about this particular and specific incident....and why does it matter??? I think I'll move on......

7mm-08

WKR
In this age of rage, its always better to gather information than fire off an email because somebody tripped your trigger. Remember - the proper sequence is: ready, aim, fire and NOT ready, fire, aim. Comes with age and maturity I expect.

I see guys driving around with huge double American flags in the back of their pick ups. Usually tattered and graying. Never take them down or treat them with proper respect. Just leave them in there at night and in the rain. I assume it is a symbol of mindless ultranationalism. maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

I’ve never tried to have a conversation with one of these guys. Pretty sure it would not be a fruitful conversation.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
We just had a thread on this but some members couldn't refine themselves and got it locked up.

This time there will be no mercy for those who try and push the political boundaries and use this incident as a jump off point.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Johnboy

WKR
In this age of rage, its always better to gather information than fire off an email because somebody tripped your trigger. Remember - the proper sequence is: ready, aim, fire and NOT ready, fire, aim. Comes with age and maturity I expect.
Except when shooting a flintlock.

In all seriousness, I feel sorry for the park super. I wonder if all the folks who fired off nasty grams will follow up with apologies?
I'm not too proud to admit if I was wrong and I would send another email apologising just the same I sent one complaining, but you can't tell me a flag made enough noise to disturb the peace. I just refuse to believe that, personally. The exhaust on a 15 year old diesel truck or a factory v8 sports car is louder.

Sounds to me like people were being too sensitive and crying about the flag for another reason, and she would've had a spine.

I will say I've never been there, but from what I can gather on the park website and tour websites, you can ride a janky old diesel powered bus, tour in airplanes, and rent atvs to ride. Those are all "loud".

I still think she rolled over at the first sign of someone's feeling being hurt, and I will until provided proof of otherwise.

And let's be real, it's a construction site.

ODB

WKR
I see guys driving around with huge double American flags in the back of their pick ups. Usually tattered and graying. Never take them down or treat them with proper respect. Just leave them in there at night and in the rain. I assume it is a symbol of mindless ultranationalism. maybe I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

I’ve never tried to have a conversation with one of these guys. Pretty sure it would not be a fruitful conversation.

What’s the symptom of mindless ultranationalism (and what is that?), flying flags of your country or flying them to tatters?

I'm not too proud to admit if I was wrong and I would send another email apologising just the same I sent one complaining, but you can't tell me a flag made enough noise to disturb the peace. I just refuse to believe that, personally. The exhaust on a 15 year old diesel truck or a factory v8 sports car is louder.

Sounds to me like people were being too sensitive and crying about the flag for another reason, and she would've had a spine.

I will say I've never been there, but from what I can gather on the park website and tour websites, you can ride a janky old diesel powered bus, tour in airplanes, and rent atvs to ride. Those are all "loud".

I still think she rolled over at the first sign of someone's feeling being hurt, and I will until provided proof of otherwise.

And let's be real, it's a construction site.
You’re missing the point. It was NOT the park superintendent who did this. It was the FHWA, which is a completely different entity.

I could care less about the complaint and the validity of it. I’ve dealt with frivolous complaints for a couple of decades. People are people.

It’d be like me chewing the McDonald’s manager out for what the neighboring gas station did.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
What’s the symptom of mindless ultranationalism (and what is that?), flying flags of your country or flying them to tatters?
Not showing proper respect for the flag, but insisting on the disrespectful display being patriotism (the flag should be flown such that it does not touch anything below it, if flown at night it should be illuminated, once it looks worn it should be retired properly and replaced). I dislike flags being left at grave sites, primarily because they are left to rot. I even dislike the flag being placed on made in the USA products (not so much that I will not buy it) because they are forgotten about.

In the end, things have the meaning we give them. When we choose to using something meaningful for everything, we lower its value. Same thing with words like hero, which is effectively meaningless in todays society.

The peace movement in the 60s understood this, which is why they appropriated military uniform components and turned a powerful symbol (the V for victory) into a something everyone used to be cool.

Of course, many disagree with me on this. Iconography means little in our society, and the iconography that some value I care nothing about. That, and customs and norms, like language, are living in so much as they reflect the living and ever changing face of a society. Perhaps I'm just a curmudgeon stuck in the past.

That new article(statement?) is as nondescript and vague as the other statements put out.
It reads to me like someone trying to sweep this under the rug and hope it goes away more than anything else.

Was the park superintendent the one who “relayed the message”? And if she was, what exactly did she say?

Not that we’ll ever know what really happened.

ODB

WKR
Not showing proper respect for the flag, but insisting on the disrespectful display being patriotism (the flag should be flown such that it does not touch anything below it, if flown at night it should be illuminated, once it looks worn it should be retired properly and replaced). I dislike flags being left at grave sites, primarily because they are left to rot. I even dislike the flag being placed on made in the USA products (not so much that I will not buy it) because they are forgotten about.

In the end, things have the meaning we give them. When we choose to using something meaningful for everything, we lower its value. Same thing with words like hero, which is effectively meaningless in todays society.

The peace movement in the 60s understood this, which is why they appropriated military uniform components and turned a powerful symbol (the V for victory) into a something everyone used to be cool.

Of course, many disagree with me on this. Iconography means little in our society, and the iconography that some value I care nothing about. That, and customs and norms, like language, are living in so much as they reflect the living and ever changing face of a society. Perhaps I'm just a curmudgeon stuck in the past.

Nothing I disagree with here - but this is standard flag protocol, and has nothing to do with the seemingly pejorative 'ultranationalism' as used above.

Flags are unbelievably powerful and rhetorically filled symbols. We capture flags, plant flags, wave flags, burn flags, raise flags (ala Iwo Jima). There is nothing remotely pejorative about any citizen of any country flying the flag of their country or wearing the colors of their flag respectfully. The fact that some see this as nefarious is in itself symptomatic of a country in decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.