Colorado Residents

def90

WKR
Aurora is a big city that abuts Denver to the east. It ranges from shithole neighborhoods to the north and multimillion dollar estates to the southeast. It’s mostly stripmalls and urban sprawl with no real city center. How much of a shit show is it? I don’t know, seems like any other city in the Denver metro.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume you will be along I 70 in the north part of Aurora? If that’s the case and you’re just stopping for gas and something to eat get off on the Central Park exit which is kind of near the bass pro shop. All the other exits are going to be commercial and a little bit sketchy fast food joints. If you’re a gambling man, you go check out one of the fine dining and lodging establishments on East Colfax.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I work in that area, the most shoplifted homedepot & walmart in the state and sometimes in the country is in east Denver close to A-town.( Quebec and I-70) Honestly man just keep the pedal to the metal and keep rolling west to Arvada, golden, Lakewood, Littleton. I don’t know what you are driving/ hauling but i wouldn’t stop in Aurora/ Denver if I could help it. Area is crawling with illegals and meth/fent heads. I’m a first responders so I see more of the underbelly, but you couldn’t pay me enough money to park a truck with hunting equipment in those areas overnight especially. We have had a truck stolen out of our fire station parking lot middle of the day, now they are fencing off our parking lot, and a lot of businesses are doing the same. Hit me up if you need recommendations on places to stop

Hnthrdr

WKR
I assume you will be along I 70 in the north part of Aurora? If that’s the case and you’re just stopping for gas and something to eat get off on the Central Park exit which is kind of near the bass pro shop. All the other exits are going to be commercial and a little bit sketchy fast food joints. If you’re a gambling man, you go check out one of the fine dining and lodging establishments on East Colfax.
Lots of friendly ladies on east colfax… Central Park is fine during the day, lotta zombies rolling around there at night looking to mine for copper though… if ya know what I mean

Hnthrdr

WKR
And don’t get me wrong, it’s pretty fine to drive through, stop and get gas, ect, ect. But i wouldn’t park a vehicle over night with anything valuable in it or towed behind it, lots of better/ safer places to stop further west. Shoot man I live in a very safe place but everything is locked up and security lights everywhere didn’t use to be this way… lots of people but seemingly a higher rate of shit heads have moved here, and kind of act with impunity

Keep driving and don't stop. Have your firearm within reach while driving through.

Good luck and may the odds ever be in your favor!

I am a homeowner in a blue collar neighborhood in central Aurora.

Aurora, in general, is a perfectly decent place. More shit goes down in some areas than others. It is quite large, geographically. It’s a large town in a large metro area and has some of the typical large city problems.

What is the question? Is it:

Will I get shot driving down I-70 or I-225?
No

Will I get carjacked in broad daylight on Colfax?
No

Should I carefully consider where I park my rig full of expensive gear and plastered with outdoor brand bumper stickers overnight?
Yes

If I stop at a random gas station, will I see a homeless person or someone tripping on hard drugs?
Maybe

I heard on the news that Venezuelan gangs have taken over the city, am I going to have a kidney stolen if I stop at a Walmart?
No

Sorry for the snark. As someone who has lived most of my life in cities/neighborhoods that are the subject of much pearl clutching, I laugh and sometimes get annoyed when people assume/assert the worst.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I am a homeowner in a blue collar neighborhood in central Aurora.

Aurora, in general, is a perfectly decent place. More shit goes down in some areas than others. It is quite large, geographically. It’s a large town in a large metro area and has some of the typical large city problems.

What is the question? Is it:

Will I get shot driving down I-70 or I-225?
No

Will I get carjacked in broad daylight on Colfax?
No

Should I carefully consider where I park my rig full of expensive gear and plastered with outdoor brand bumper stickers overnight?
Yes

If I stop at a random gas station, will I see a homeless person or someone tripping on hard drugs?
Maybe

I heard on the news that Venezuelan gangs have taken over the city, am I going to have a kidney stolen if I stop at a Walmart?
No

Sorry for the snark. As someone who has lived most of my life in cities/neighborhoods that are the subject of much pearl clutching, I laugh and sometimes get annoyed when people assume/assert the worst.
Spot on assessment. I wouldn’t pearl clutch over Aurora, I worked for their FD for about a year before being hired on with Denver, not many first responders of Denver or Aurora, live in either town. But yes 90-% of Aurora is safe ish and normalish USA. If you grew up in Co since the 80’s/90’s I think our perspectives are tainted since lots of the suburbs were very low crime to what the entire front range has become. Once again if you moved from some other very populated city or state it’s really not bad.

Funny, I was in the Harbor Frieght on Colfax and Kipling (west side Denver Lakewood area) yesterday for a return since it was not far off of 6th Ave. All I can say is wow, WTF. Guys stumbling around the store saying his bike got stolen, employee said another guy walked out with a bag of tools, then hopped on the drugged up guys bike and took off.

Employee said it's a weekly/daily occurrence. Cops don't respond, what a shit show. The city is a mess right now.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I went to pick up some metal from off quebec yesterday and there was a broken ass car with flat tire, missing window and tent type setup concocted right in a wendys parking lot, that was a new level of WTF in terms of a business letting that mess set up.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I went to pick up some metal from off quebec yesterday and there was a broken ass car with flat tire, missing window and tent type setup concocted right in a wendys parking lot, that was a new level of WTF in terms of a business letting that mess set up.
That I-70 and Quebec area is wild! (My first due) we have 7 giant, 0 barrier homeless shelters ( ie you can do drugs, drink, whatever and get 3 squares a day, wifi and private room where the “adults” have to get a search warrant to go through it, zero accountability, been on countless stabbings, OD’s all sorts of awesome stuff up there… The area is crawling with dope fiends, pretty sad actually. It was worse two years ago with cars, tents and RV’s now they just put them all inside, but haven’t dealt with the issues or held the individuals responsible ie. Mandating drug rehab and cracking down on dealers

Hnthrdr

WKR
Funny, I was in the Harbor Frieght on Colfax and Kipling (west side Denver Lakewood area) yesterday for a return since it was not far off of 6th Ave. All I can say is wow, WTF. Guys stumbling around the store saying his bike got stolen, employee said another guy walked out with a bag of tools, then hopped on the drugged up guys bike and took off.

Employee said it's a weekly/daily occurrence. Cops don't respond, what a shit show. The city is a mess right now.
Reminded me I need to clip a coupon and get another Apache case haha