CO Ballot Initiative to ban Mtn Lion hunt

Son of a gun, that was quick! Would love to see a dissenting opinion piece put in the post

Last edited:
I know there are some Colorado residents on here, does this stand a chance of being passed, or just another bunch of hot air? I have lion hunt planned in 2025, just wondering if I should be worried

I know there are some Colorado residents on here, does this stand a chance of being passed, or just another bunch of hot air? I have lion hunt planned in 2025, just wondering if I should be worried
I believe it will pass if it makes the ballot. Too many uninformed idiots in this state

I think there is an actual chance of defeating this. When it was proposed in the legislature it was soundly defeated in committee. Overwhelming opposition from hunters, bill lost most of its sponsors. That and considering how close the wolf ballot initiative was. Hunters need to get active though. It will take a major fundraising and information campaign to beat it. Recommend concerned resident and nonresident hunters donate to the cause. Link below:

I would be very worried, Co is essentially a uniparty l
@Hnthrdr

Here's your dissenting opinion piece!
great article, not surprising it’s from weld county…. Still a little common sense up there. Needs to run in the boulder Dailey sentinel and a Denver post… but people will believe what “their” party tells them to do

who is it specifically that keeps trying to put management decisions on ballots? We need to cut off the source. I've asked this question to multiple sources and still haven't gotten an answer?

who is it specifically that keeps trying to put management decisions on ballots? We need to cut off the source. I've asked this question to multiple sources and still haven't gotten an answer?
I believe it is animal rights activist groups, but good question, deal is you get an idea and you can get it on the ballot with 125k signatures, I would imagine the backing to pay losers to stand outside king Soopers in Denver or boulder, 20 bucks an hour to comes from some of the giant groups like peta or hsusa. Most likely lots and lots of out of state money just like the wolf groups

I believe it is animal rights activist groups, but good question, deal is you get an idea and you can get it on the ballot with 125k signatures, I would imagine the backing to pay losers to stand outside king Soopers in Denver or boulder, 20 bucks an hour to comes from some of the giant groups like peta or hsusa. Most likely lots and lots of out of state money just like the wolf groups
Yes. They get support from national groups like peta, Hsusa, Center for Biological Diversity, Defenders of Wildlife, WildEarth Guardians, etc. I believe there also a national “mountain lion protection” organization, can’t remember the exact name. Then they form a more specific organization to focus on the actual proposal and centered in that state. With Prop 91 I believe it is “Cats Aren’t Trophies”. The actual people that filed it are on the proposal, can’t recall the names. Rough order of magnitude is about $1 million or more to get something on the ballot, that gets you all the paid petition gatherers. Costs even more to fund an information (or misinformation) campaign to actually win.

Yes. They get support from national groups like peta, Hsusa, Center for Biological Diversity, Defenders of Wildlife, WildEarth Guardians, etc. I believe they’re also a national “mountain lion protection” organization, can’t remember the exact name. Then they form a more specific organization to focus on the actual proposal and centered in that state. With Prop 91 I believe it is “Cats Aren’t Trophies”. The actual people that filed it are on the proposal, can’t recall the names. Rough order of magnitude is about $1 million or more to get something on the ballot, that gets you all the paid petition gatherers. Costs even more to fund an information (or misinformation) campaign to actually win.
Misinformation is cheap when the governor puts a gag on the CPW…. Also when the name is ban “trophy hunting”

Why can't we get 125K signatures to ban the wolf reintroduction then? Serious question.

Why can't we get 125K signatures to ban the wolf reintroduction then? Serious question.
I’m with you man, I just don’t have the resources or means to get the ball rolling an org like howl, or RMEF or DSC might have the funds

From what my understanding is, CO. is becoming more liberal every day. That does not bode well for hunters/gun owners at all.

That's OK, the wolves will eat the cubs. It will all balance out.
Interesting thought experiment here: say the wolves are eating the cats into extinction… do you make any special rule to help the cats or let the wolves kill them all? Nature right?

Back