Colorado Constitutional Right to Hunt and Fish Citizens Initiative.

Given the current rapidly deteriorating political climate in Colorado, and the composition of the legislature here, it seems like it is time to bring this issue to the forefront. There have been a lot of discussions lately lamenting hunters' inability to come together to protect the way of life we live and breathe. Colorado is one of the states with no constitutionally protected right to hunt and fish. I think many of us are starting to see the writing on the wall, as the urban majority makes decision after decision which negatively impacts the Colorado I grew up in, and still love with all my heart, in spite of its recent failings. It is time to come together and start taking steps to protect our hunting heritage, before it is taken away, one piece of legislation at a time. I think this may be the only way to have a fighting chance to protect this heritage, before it is too late. I feel, like I think many here do, that if we do not act immediately, we will not have the chance again.

I am starting this thread to begin brainstorming, organizing, and developing a plan to get the necessary signatures, and legal backbone, for a 2024 citizens' initiative to amend the Colorado constitution to include the right to hunt and fish. I do not have experience with this process, other than peripherally, so I am asking those members who may have the expertise to help get this process started to step up and help get the ball rolling. I will be reaching out, and I hope many others do as well, to RMEF, BHA, HOWL, RMGO and any other supportive organizations to seek assistance with the development of an initiative aimed at the 2024 election to achieve this goal. While I may not have the expertise to put it together, I can certainly get out and knock on doors, educate co-workers and family, and pound the pavement to get the signatures needed to get this on the ballot. Hopefully many of us will put our efforts toward supporting the development of this.

I would like to keep this thread productive, and non-partisan, so please refrain from posting if it's just to gripe about wolves, politics, or other issues not directly related to getting this initiative on the ballot. Thank you!

Potentially supportive organizations:

Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
RMGO
HOWL
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Sportsman's Alliance
Ducks Unlimited
Pheasants Forever
Mule Deer Foundation
Muley Fanatic Foundation
Wild Sheep Foundation
Trout Unlimited
Colorado Outfitters Association

Potentially supportive individuals/ companies:

Meateater/ Rinella Brothers
Randy Newberg

Potentially supportive legislators:

State Senator Perry Will covers Delta, Eagle, Garfield, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Pitkin counties and is a retired game warden.

Last edited:

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Count me in!!! Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have been thinking about this as well lately and you took the words right out of my mouth. I want my kids to grow up experiencing the same great Colorado I did as a kid.
I think the sportsman’s alliance would be of great help as well. Let me know what I can do to help!!!

OP
SoloWilderness
I have started a list of potentially supportive organizations and individuals on the opening post, which I will update as more are added. If anyone has connections to other organizations, individuals, companies, legislators, etc. that may be supportive of this effort, please post them here and I will add them to the list. I have located the information pertaining to submitting a ballot initiative for the 2024 election cycle and will post it up later today. The deadline to make the ballot is late March of 2024, so we have a little more than a year to get the word out, develop an amendment, gather signatures, and get this done.

Kansas did this a few years ago. They managed to get it on the ballot without a lot of fanfare. I honestly wasn't even aware until just before the polls opened. I think being sneaky on it allowed it to get passed rather easily as any potential opposition didn't have time to organize.

I think there is probably a lot to learn from other states and their success. I'd find out who pushed other initiatives and get on the horn with them re: Colorado.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would think that we'd need specific language included in the initiative that not only provides the right to hunt and fish, but also specifics about any restrictions that could be imposed on them. I could see eventually down the road where the dems stay within those rights, but then restrict the seasons (like to one day) or numbers to the point where it might as well be a ban.

Years ago, a military base was closing and they were "giving" the golf courses to the local community. But they wanted military folks to still get reduced rates for greens fees. So they stipulated that in the contract. After the transfer, the communities put a bunch of money into the courses turning them into championship courses, and then offered military rates to only a very small number of tee times at the least desirable times. The military objected, but the communities won out because there was nothing written in the contract stipulating that ALL military would get those rates.

svivian

WKR
I hope this happens and will support it any way i can..... but I cant help to think we are 10 years too late on this.

UncleBone

WKR
I was thinking about trying to get something started to make this happen as well. Last year a cpw agent got all snarky with me and told me "remember, hunting is a privelege not a right". Well that is because it was so engrained in the American culture at the time, it wasn't necessary to put it in the constitution. Some states have done it over time, but not all. I do think it is time we made sure we make that change before it is too late. I am a Colorado resident, and would be happy to donate all my extra time to getting signatures etc. Hunting and fishing should be a right in America. Unless you commit felonies relating to those activities, they should not be able to take that away from you.

Bluumoon

WKR
I hope this happens and will support it any way i can..... but I cant help to think we are 10 years too late on this.
I'm optimistic it could be done. Wolves only passed 51 to 49%, I have to hope/imagine most of the 49% would vote for it and a percentage of the 51% are probably hunters.

Constitutional right to hunt and fish ALL game and fish species based on the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation model.

OP
SoloWilderness
Kansas did this a few years ago. They managed to get it on the ballot without a lot of fanfare. I honestly wasn't even aware until just before the polls opened. I think being sneaky on it allowed it to get passed rather easily as any potential opposition didn't have time to organize.

I think there is probably a lot to learn from other states and their success. I'd find out who pushed other initiatives and get on the horn with them re: Colorado.

https://ballotpedia.org/Hunting_and_fishing_on_the_ballot

I think this is a great starting point, and brings together other states efforts, both positive and negative, into one place. Time to settle in for some reading.

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
This sounds great, any local representatives worth reaching out to? Happy to help as well.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
I would think that we'd need specific language included in the initiative that not only provides the right to hunt and fish, but also specifics about any restrictions that could be imposed on them. I could see eventually down the road where the dems stay within those rights, but then restrict the seasons (like to one day) or numbers to the point where it might as well be a ban.

Years ago, a military base was closing and they were "giving" the golf courses to the local community. But they wanted military folks to still get reduced rates for greens fees. So they stipulated that in the contract. After the transfer, the communities put a bunch of money into the courses turning them into championship courses, and then offered military rates to only a very small number of tee times at the least desirable times. The military objected, but the communities won out because there was nothing written in the contract stipulating that ALL military would get those rates.
And let’s not forget trapping. It is a tool for managing wildlife Just like hunting. And it’s what the anti’s will go after first, Along with hound hunting.

OP
SoloWilderness
You could consider starting a Gofundme to help pay for some legal fees to help with drafting and legal consultation. Great idea all around. When it comes time to collect signatures sign me up.
Was looking at the average cost to get an issue on the ballot, with all associated fees, etc. It looks like North of $100k-$1 million +. So once things progress further, will be looking into how funding for these is managed, probably through the creation of an organization specifically to push the ballot measure, and manage funds, signature collection, etc. in a secure and transparent manner. A lot of research to do. Anyone with experience in grassroots, nonprofit organizational management and fundraising please chime in with your thoughts. Approaching businesses with a substantial investment in Colorado such as Cabelas, etc. for fundraising assistance seems like a possibility to me.

I can’t speak for them, but there are several chapters of SCI within Colorado that I would be happy to put you (or whomever) in touch with.

This is a great discussion, seems like something a bunch of the organizations could collaborate on. I know a bunch of them sent a combined letter to CPW regarding the draft wolf reintroduction plan as the Colorado Wildlife Conservation Project (CWCP). It includes RMBS, SCI, BHA, TRCP, RMEF, CBA, and a few others. Definitely interested in lending a hand. This has to be the way forward, hunters and anglers organizations working together if we are to preserve hunting and fishing in Colorado through the current political regime.