Choosing new binos (swaro, zeiss, vortex)

Bushman77

FNG
I’m thinking about getting a new pair of binos for hunting for both out west and in Ohio. My current pair is a a vortex diamondback HD10x42 Opmod, and before those were some old Bushnell bone collectors.

My current set wasn’t really that useful for glassing in the last 30ish minutes of legal shooting time, 45 if it was overcast.

My question is if I can get the Zeiss conquest HD 10x42 for $650 new, is that worth getting over slightly lower priced (maybe $500) vortex razor HD 10x42? Or should I just save up and get something like the Swarovski EL 10x42 at $1999?

Tmac

WKR
Either the Zeiss or the Razor will be a major improvement. I recently looked through a pair of Zeiss Conquests, they were very nice. Possibly the best in their price range I’ve seen. My reference is Meopta Meostar’s, and they are great. For the costs you can get them for, I‘d pick one, probably the Zeiss. You can always sell it for about what you paid should you desire that little bit extra the EL’s would offer.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If Swarovski is in the budget they're never the wrong decision.
This. Don't fear good used ones either. One nice thing about swaro is you can use them for years and then send them in to be overhauled for a moderate fee to refresh them if needed, don't know too many other companies that do that. I had zeiss conquest in 8x42 and 15x56 and wasn't fully content in my experience, I now have an older pair of EL 10x42 (that got new lenses before I purchased them) and SLC 15x56 and am quite happy.

It can also be difficult to do, but if at all possible try to look through the actual models you’re interested in preferably outside. I know that I have a preference for the way certain glass looks vs other. Not that either is good or bad, but it just looks better to my eyes. That said, if you can swing glass from the big 3 it’s never a bad choice. I purchased by ELs used and have never been sorry.

OP
B

Bushman77

FNG
It can also be difficult to do, but if at all possible try to look through the actual models you’re interested in preferably outside. I know that I have a preference for the way certain glass looks vs other. Not that either is good or bad, but it just looks better to my eyes. That said, if you can swing glass from the big 3 it’s never a bad choice. I purchased by ELs used and have never been sorry.
That’s the hard part, I’m going to check out Cabela’s since they have “limited stock” in a few of them. But, I doubt I’ll be able to look outside at all and the optics desk is in the middle of the store.

I'm going through the same decision. I made the mistake of picking up the Swaro NL Pure in Bass Pro and they are truly a great set of binos. I tried everything else they had in the shop but they are a perfect fit. I've learned that that the few magic moments where you pick something up and it's like a favorite pair of boots it's important to recognize that it's not if, it's just a matter of when.

Go get your hands on them because it makes a huge difference.

OP
B

Bushman77

FNG
So I was able to go to Cabela’s (live very close).

Tried the swaro El, zeiss conquest hd, razor hd, razor uhd. All in 10x42

Fell in love with the swaro of course. The uhd was pretty nice but $300 more gets the swaro. Zeiss was much better than the razor hd, but didn’t wow me as much as the swaro. I might go back sometime to see if I can take them out in lowlight. Expensive decisions upcoming….

So I was able to go to Cabela’s (live very close).

Tried the swaro El, zeiss conquest hd, razor hd, razor uhd. All in 10x42

Fell in love with the swaro of course. The uhd was pretty nice but $300 more gets the swaro. Zeiss was much better than the razor hd, but didn’t wow me as much as the swaro. I might go back sometime to see if I can take them out in lowlight. Expensive decisions upcoming….
In store comparisons don't do alpha glass justice.

In field low light or challenging glassing conditions are the true test.

Put the best glass on a quality tripod and get ready for the show.

The little bit of money you save on lesser quality glass is never brought up when your buddy is turning up game left and right glassing right beside you with his alpha glass. Get the best glass to your eyes, I will bet its the more expensive set......

elkguide

WKR
Wish that I could have all the money that I "saved" by buying the next best thing back, before I bought my first pair of Swarovski binoculars. You really do get what you pay for from alpha glass.

OP
B

Bushman77

FNG
Wish that I could have all the money that I "saved" by buying the next best thing back, before I bought my first pair of Swarovski binoculars. You really do get what you pay for from alpha glass.
That’s what I’m thinking to convince myself. I don’t want to get a new set just to be in the same spot in 1-2 years. There is another thread about upgrading from the conquest to the EL and I want to avoid that situation

elkguide

WKR
That’s what I’m thinking to convince myself. I don’t want to get a new set just to be in the same spot in 1-2 years. There is another thread about upgrading from the conquest to the EL and I want to avoid that situation

They are ridiculous money (what isn't today?) but they truly can be a lifetime purchase.

Swaros have been worth every penny.

Used Zeiss, Leupold, Maven, Brunton, Bausch and Lomb, Bushnell and NOTHING can touch the Swaros.

I admit I haven’t been behind any Leicas but I can’t imagine anything being better than Swaro EL and NL’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A couple of unsolicited and easily ignorable comments. All personal opinions and not looking to start arguments :)

1. Swaro holds it's value exceptionally well and you lose LESS of the cost when you go to sell it. I have yet to see people make money on this stuff.

2. Someone made a comment that you don't notice the nuances until you spend time behind the glass. I agree that viewing in the store doesn't do it full justice, but I was able to tell the EL gave me a little vertigo for some reason. The NL Pure didn't and was immediately crisper. For me, it had the wow factor and I was going in to buy the EL because of the price difference. I left conflicted.

3. I took a Swaro 10x42 SLC (~$2K, borrowed), Vortex Diamondback HD 12x50 (~$300), and Zeiss compact 10x25 (~$800) to my office which has a viewing area of the hill country for about 2 miles unobstructed. I noticed that the crispness of the image was better with the Swaro (which is the SLC, not even the EL). The field of view makes up (for me) whatever magnification you get with the 12's. I also saw someone sitting in the shade at a 1/2 mile and could see more shadow detail with the 42 & 50 (no surprise) but it was pretty significant. I haven't tried on a tripod yet but it's on my list when I don't look like I'm scouting people's houses from a parking garage.

4. I've bought cheap stuff that I regretted quickly and expensive stuff that I've regretted for a long time because I was too attached to the original price to sell it. In fact, I have a Nikon full frame camera and lens (over $2K) that I've used a few times. Somehow I have more heartburn over the binos, but shouldn't.

5. I think that Swaro's can be a lifetime purchase with the exception of the Rangefinders. I personally am staying away from the tech explosion in recent years because a) they don't warranty the Range past 2 years and b) with the rate of technology improvement, the rangefinder component will be obsolete in a few years. A good quality pair of binos you enjoy forever and are lighter than having the rangefinders built in.

OP
B

Bushman77

FNG
A couple of unsolicited and easily ignorable comments. All personal opinions and not looking to start arguments :)

1. Swaro holds it's value exceptionally well and you lose LESS of the cost when you go to sell it. I have yet to see people make money on this stuff.

2. Someone made a comment that you don't notice the nuances until you spend time behind the glass. I agree that viewing in the store doesn't do it full justice, but I was able to tell the EL gave me a little vertigo for some reason. The NL Pure didn't and was immediately crisper. For me, it had the wow factor and I was going in to buy the EL because of the price difference. I left conflicted.

3. I took a Swaro 10x42 SLC (~$2K, borrowed), Vortex Diamondback HD 12x50 (~$300), and Zeiss compact 10x25 (~$800) to my office which has a viewing area of the hill country for about 2 miles unobstructed. I noticed that the crispness of the image was better with the Swaro (which is the SLC, not even the EL). The field of view makes up (for me) whatever magnification you get with the 12's. I also saw someone sitting in the shade at a 1/2 mile and could see more shadow detail with the 42 & 50 (no surprise) but it was pretty significant. I haven't tried on a tripod yet but it's on my list when I don't look like I'm scouting people's houses from a parking garage.

4. I've bought cheap stuff that I regretted quickly and expensive stuff that I've regretted for a long time because I was too attached to the original price to sell it. In fact, I have a Nikon full frame camera and lens (over $2K) that I've used a few times. Somehow I have more heartburn over the binos, but shouldn't.

5. I think that Swaro's can be a lifetime purchase with the exception of the Rangefinders. I personally am staying away from the tech explosion in recent years because a) they don't warranty the Range past 2 years and b) with the rate of technology improvement, the rangefinder component will be obsolete in a few years. A good quality pair of binos you enjoy forever and are lighter than having the rangefinders built in.
Good info, I think I’ve convinced myself that it’s swaro or no upgrade. I’ll keep my eye out for a demo pair or a really nice discount somewhere.

Thanks everyone for the input, you’ve made future me poor but happy

Agross

WKR
Used el’s pop up on here somewhat regularly. I slowly upgraded binos the last couple years. I have a couple pairs of mavens and really like em. I recently got what I think was a great deal on a pair of el 8.5’s. I love em. I’ll never need to upgrade again.

While true Alphas are a better overall experience it doesn’t sound to me like you currently have the $ in hand to just go out and buy the ELs. That being the situation I personally think it a bit silly to pass up a $650 deal on a New Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42. Doubt anyone will find a better deal on that class of glass. And, as JG points out, the HDs punch well above their weight. If comparing them side-by-side with a true Alpha they will likely be bested but in the field they really won’t leave you wanting for more.

I admit I haven’t been behind any Leicas but I can’t imagine anything being better than Swaro EL and NL’s.
Don’t have to imagine as I had my Zeiss SFs next to the ELs (folks sometimes forget the EL is an aging design) and find them clearly better in just about every way. Also own a set of NLs — do I prefer them to the SFs? It depends on the situation. For most handheld applications I prefer the SF, on a tripod definitely the NL. Also find the NLs at their best on cloudy days.