Careers

big44a4

WKR
I've seen a PMP cert mentioned a few times for a construction management career. I keep getting spam emails about getting that. Is that in lieu of a Bachelor's degree in Engineering/CM or in addition to?

Always seemed like some BS to put in your email signature that no one actually cares about. Like a LEED cert nowadays.

Don’t need any of the above for construction management. Field experience is key. I have a bachelors and masters in business. No matter where you start will have to work your way up with experience.

If I'm reading the licensure rules correctly you still need 6 years of qualifying expierience to become a surveyor in CA (degree counts towards 4 of them if surveying emphasis). Degree or not, you still need to get past that requirement. Posting this more of a question. I'm a civil PE and often wondered what it would take to get my PLS short of getting expierience with a crew?
You're correct 6 years for the PLS, but the LSIT is only 2 years experience (I used railroad as experience) and with that you are basically guaranteed a job. I would think you could use some of your college courses as experience for the IT but to get the PLS you are going to need some experience

RS3579

WKR
If interested in purchasing a small business, learn a trade work your butt off for that small business and buy that business.

Rich M

WKR
I do and if I told you you wouldn’t believe me. Not cool. Not glamorous but it affords my wife an I an extremely blessed life.

On another note.

70% of small business owners are retiring in the next 10 years and closing up their successful businesses because nobody wants to take them over and run them. Including me.

These are $300k-$1m+ a year gross businesses anybody could walk into and already have a successful business for free or with minimum money.

You may want to look at small businesses for these kind of opportunities.
You may be able get both your wishes. Money and time to hunt.

PS. Don’t look for cool and glamorous.

Nobody wants to make pizza for a living but we’d all love to be Papa John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree with this.

If you got a job and made your boss's life easier, he or she should reward you handsomely. The majority of the worker bees do "8-5" and "leave work at the office" - then they complain about lack of raises, promotions, bonuses, and such. Hmm. Is there a correlation? LoL!

Anyway, I knew a guy who sold a pool cleaning and maintenance business - buyer worked with him 2 yrs learning the ropes and then they worked out a payment schedule based off the profits.

Another guy I knew sold a septic service to a couple employees. He was a workaholic and loved running heavy equipment, worked for them even after he sold it to them.

Another guy I know saved for his kid's college but Jr. didn't want none of that so they spent the money (about $180k) buying Jr. a company he could own and support himself for a lifetime. Jr. didn't want none of that so his dad quit his job and has been working the business for a long while now. He makes a bit more than the job he quit.

There are papers and such that advertise businesses that want to sell. Call em up and talk with them - be careful about scams (you can verify a business thru the state licensing agencies a lot of the time - wouldn't hurt to get an attorney involved). Like @Kilboars said, no fancy stuff, just a serious opportunity. You can work it a few years, learn the ropes and then make some money off the sweat of your brow. You are basically investing in your future and then playing as opposed to playing and then hoping to make it.

Good luck.

T_Roy

FNG
Shift work for me. Take 4 days off and have 2 weeks off. Money is good and if there is something extra I want I can pick up a Overtime shift when it is not hunting season. Not sure if that is an option for you to look into.

Don’t need any of the above for construction management. Field experience is key. I have a bachelors and masters in business. No matter where you start will have to work your way up with experience.
Was mostly just wondering what value it's supposed to provide, if any. Since people keep saying to get it.

You will need to take the LSIT, then you will need your experience working under a licensed land surveyor (that you can stand) for several years, then you will need to take the FS exam then you will need to take the state specific Surveying exam. All of this is assuming that you have an ABET accredited surveying curriculum that you have attended for 4 years.

Not a huge ordeal. Only takes about 10-15 years total to make it all happen.
Every state is different. Here in California you just need to take the FS exam and have 2 years of survey related experience or education to receive the LSIT. After receiving the LSIT you need 6 years total experience and pass the PS and State Specific exam to become licensed. All college can be substituted with experience here and you can be licensed in 6 years.

Every state is different. Here in California you just need to take the FS exam and have 2 years of survey related experience or education to receive the LSIT. After receiving the LSIT you need 6 years total experience and pass the PS and State Specific exam to become licensed. All college can be substituted with experience here and you can be licensed in 6 years.

You’re not getting a license in 6 years. A guy can try. But it’s not gonna happen. Lol

I'm a farrier (Horseshoer). It's incredibly rewarding, and I hunt as much as I want, make my own schedule, work for who I want to and fire who I don't. I've fallen in love with the blacksmithing aspect, and get to work outside and with horses daily. I make enough money to keep my wife at home with the kids and live comfortably.

But like most self employed folks will tell you, it wasn't like that on day one. The harder you work at it in the early years, the faster you get where you want to be.

What state do you live in?

You’re not getting a license in 6 years. A guy can try. But it’s not gonna happen. Lol
"Provide evidence showing six (6) years of equivalent full-time experience in land surveying, including other credits, with one (1) year each being in responsible field and responsible office training. "

6 years total, with at least 1 year office and 1 year field experience.

schmalzy

WKR
If I had to start all over again I’d be looking hard at being a lineman. Go all in during your 20s, work out west, invest it and then have a significant amount of freedom in your 30s. Running your own show in construction can be very rewarding, but has its own obstacles.

Lot of cool opportunities for both adventure and careers in AK for a hardworking guy that’s not afraid to earn his stripes.

Excited for you. Despite the doom and gloom on the news, an extremely cool time to be an early 20s guy with a good attitude and good work ethic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Maintainer in a manufacturing plant. Hate the job. But it's right at 6 figures, and I work 3 on 3 off. I'm off half the year essentially. I get 4 weeks vacation as well. I hunt to my hearts content

"Provide evidence showing six (6) years of equivalent full-time experience in land surveying, including other credits, with one (1) year each being in responsible field and responsible office training. "

6 years total, with at least 1 year office and 1 year field experience.
Are you currently licensed in any state?

Tverde707

FNG
do a lineman apprenticeship than come work in CA for a union contractor. 3-4 year grind for apprenticeship than take any time off you want. you will make 350k a year working your life away than be able to take off 2 months out of the year to hunt by quitting. Not a faster way to money and time off imo. You will always be able to find a job In any state you want. I’m a substation electrician in CA. No better place to make money vs the cost of living than norther CA. Quick drive to a lot of states with good hunting. Hunting is decent up here

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I am 12 years into a medic/firefighter career. Love it. The brotherhood is second to none. The things you see helps keep a good perspective on life. "Every day you are healthy and upright is a blessing". The 48/96 schedule allows me to have a lucrative side business which funds my love for hunting and family vacations. The job market is strong for the next 10 years in our area. Much better than when I first entered the field.
Utility Lineman would be a consideration if I were in your shoes as well. Have several friends that do this and make a great living and all love their job.

Good luck man! I remember being in your shoes and really putting allot of pressure on myself to determine my career. Pray about it. God will steer you down the right path. He did me!

"You can be a meaningful specific if a wandering generality"

Last edited: