Careers

Geewhiz

WKR
I would recommend against a career in healthcare unless you’re into dealing with gobs of bureaucratic crap every time you turn around.

tony

WKR
Best is to get a degree from a reputable university for surveying. Electrical Controls Engineer, 4 year degree, they work on control systems for big machines like Pumps, engines, and systems. Surveyors are very intense and anal, and it’s more of a blue collar profession. Do you mind blue collar work or would you rather have a white collar job?
Shit I'm 55 no more school for me!:D

OP, what's that degree in?
I'm hard pressed to recommend the medical field but you will always have a good paying job in nursing.

dlee56

WKR
Ya I know getting hours in is the biggest thing and it’s a grind the first few years. I’ve got an uncle who flies life flight and it was definitely a grind to get his hours but he has a great job now and loves it. Based on my research it seems like there’s a decent need for both types of pilots right now. I just feel like I’d get very bored flying for airlines.

My thoughts with construction management would be to go to school to get the knowledge and skills as quickly as possible and start a general contracting company shortly after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything construction based may maximize earning but will definitely limit your time outdoors. I’m one of the guys who made the switch from CM to state engineering and I’ve loved it. Much better work life balance.

CorbLand

WKR
One of the pilots I know could have taken over his dads business. It was not a small business but in his own words “if one of my dads employees didn’t show up it was his dads problem. If a pilot doesn’t show up, not my problem.”

Something to consider if you want to hunt a lot and be gone for a long period of time. It’s a lot easier to leave when it’s not your problem.

Last edited:

big44a4

WKR
I see as many people ask about how to get out of construction management than into it. I've asked that very question on this forum. Burnout seems to hit between 3-7 years. Depending on what sector, if you're project is ending during hunting season good luck getting time off.

The money can be good though, golden handcuff scenario. I'm working on getting out myself after the next project.

Also, "untracked PTO" is a trap.

2nd this. Been a project manager in commercial construction for over a decade now. Unlimited PTO does not work out well. Also plan to always be working if you have cell phone service. I also drive 60k+ miles a year between all my jobs. Even if you are off the problems don’t stop because the job keeps going and whoever is covering for you is usually not familiar enough with your jobs to do more than just keep the wheels going.

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Right after college I worked for 8 years in technology/software development for a major corporation. Pay was great, but couldn’t stand sitting at a desk and staring at a computer all day. 5 years ago I got hired as a firefighter and love it. Can get 10 days off with a couple shift trades and not even touch vacation. If I could do it all over again I’d start in one of the trades (electrician or plumbing) and run my own business or do it on the side of firefighting.

Kilboars

WKR
Sounds like you own a business. What do you do?

I know that no matter what it’s going to be a grind for a few years. I just want to make sure I can enjoy a good work life balance after paying my dues a bit.

I do and if I told you you wouldn’t believe me. Not cool. Not glamorous but it affords my wife an I an extremely blessed life.

On another note.

70% of small business owners are retiring in the next 10 years and closing up their successful businesses because nobody wants to take them over snd run them. Including me.

These are $300k-$1m+ a year gross businesses anybody could walk into and already have a successful business for free or with minimum money.

You may want to look at small businesses for these kind of opportunities.
You may be able get both your wishes. Money and time to hunt.

PS. Don’t look for cool and glamorous.

Nobody wants to make pizza for a living but we’d all love to be Papa John.

OP
Davisjj8

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
I do and if I told you you wouldn’t believe me. Not cool. Not glamorous but it affords my wife an I an extremely blessed life.

On another note.

70% of small business owners are retiring in the next 10 years and closing up their successful businesses because nobody wants to take them over snd run them. Including me.

These are $300k-$1m+ a year gross businesses anybody could walk into and already have a successful business for free or with minimum money.

You may want to look at small businesses for these kind of opportunities.
You may be able get both your wishes. Money and time to hunt.

PS. Don’t look for cool and glamorous.

Nobody wants to make pizza for a living but we’d all love to be Papa John.

I’ve been looking into buying an established small business. My main hook up is funding to do so. There’s one in particular up for sale in an area I’d love to be in that makes good money, in an industry I’m interested in. I’m just missing 550k dollars. The owner is retiring after 25 years in business.

What would your advice be on how to find the businesses that people are basically just giving away due to retirement?

You gotta find a niche. In my state California, it is one of the few states where a 4 year degree is not required to become a licensed Surveyor and there is a huge shortage right now. I studied on my own and passed the exam and work for the DOT, get paid the exact same as the engineers and live in a pretty rural lowish cost of living area with tons of time off and hybrid telework schedule

Kilboars

WKR
I’d say just knocking on doors.

Could the guy hold the note for 5 years on the business?

Pay him out of the business for 3-5 years then get a loan.

Work for him to learn the business and pay part of your salary as down payment.

Be creative.

What does the owner want or need.

Pay his mortgage off for him?

I had a friend ready to walk away from his business when an employee back out of buying it for $250k. He got approached by a broker with a buyer that gave him $7.5m 6 months later.

Find a business you’d like to do or own, and just start working for the guy and befriend him.

I know a lot of people working and solving this problem, but you still can’t take it with you

You gotta find a niche. In my state California, it is one of the few states where a 4 year degree is not required to become a licensed Surveyor and there is a huge shortage right now. I studied on my own and passed the exam and work for the DOT, get paid the exact same as the engineers and live in a pretty rural lowish cost of living area with tons of time off and hybrid telework schedule
I’ve got 2 water line projects waiting for surveying before they go into engineering. A lot of the engineering companies where I’m at don’t have in house survey crews, so you get a dozen or so engineering companies sharing a half dozen land surveyors.

OP
Davisjj8

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say just knocking on doors.

Could the guy hold the note for 5 years on the business?

Pay him out of the business for 3-5 years then get a loan.

Work for him to learn the business and pay part of your salary as down payment.

Be creative.

What does the owner want or need.

Pay his mortgage off for him?

I had a friend ready to walk away from his business when an employee back out of buying it for $250k. He got approached by a broker with a buyer that gave him $7.5m 6 months later.

Find a business you’d like to do or own, and just start working for the guy and befriend him.

I know a lot of people working and solving this problem, but you still can’t take it with you

I initially found his business on a Facebook page and reached out. I think I may have been able to workout a seller financing option with a balloon payment like that initially. Unfortunately when I reached out to him he had recently signed with a broker and I’m sure it will be a lot more difficult to make that kind of deal now. I’m going to try some other avenues and keep looking at options as well.

I appreciate the advice.

Kilboars

WKR
I initially found his business on a Facebook page and reached out. I think I may have been able to workout a seller financing option with a balloon payment like that initially. Unfortunately when I reached out to him he had recently signed with a broker and I’m sure it will be a lot more difficult to make that kind of deal now. I’m going to try some other avenues and keep looking at options as well.

I appreciate the advice.

Keep trying.

sf jakey

WKR
I just retired after 32 years as a big city fireman, well chief at the later part, but it was the most rewarding, enjoyable career anyone could ever hope for. I got off and looked forward to going back. Really, I never felt like I was going to work. Even as Chief, with all the 24/7 365 responsibility, I loved it.
I went to all my kids games, hunted and fished whenever I wanted, skied 50 days a season and more. And I made a big difference in lives of people when they were at their most vulnerable and in need. I also had some pretty close calls, so if risk and adrenaline rush isn’t your thing, then maybe it isn’t for you.
I may be an outlier here, but I feel the future for law enforcement is huge. This bs is coming to an end, and when it does, the opportunity for advancement for those already in the field will be huge. And they will be paying good $$ to attract and retain people for the foreseeable future.

OP
Davisjj8

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
I just retired after 32 years as a big city fireman, well chief at the later part, but it was the most rewarding, enjoyable career anyone could ever hope for. I got off and looked forward to going back. Really, I never felt like I was going to work. Even as Chief, with all the 24/7 365 responsibility, I loved it.
I went to all my kids games, hunted and fished whenever I wanted, skied 50 days a season and more. And I made a big difference in lives of people when they were at their most vulnerable and in need. I also had some pretty close calls, so if risk and adrenaline rush isn’t your thing, then maybe it isn’t for you.
I may be an outlier here, but I feel the future for law enforcement is huge. This bs is coming to an end, and when it does, the opportunity for advancement for those already in the field will be huge. And they will be paying good $$ to attract and retain people for the foreseeable future.

Where were you at?

I’ve had some thoughts about becoming a firefighter, but always leaned towards wildland firefighting. I have a cousin who is in Alberta and he’s loved it and makes great money.

I’ve thought about being a cop more then a few times. It’s still definitely on my radar.

sf jakey

WKR
Where were you at?

I’ve had some thoughts about becoming a firefighter, but always leaned towards wildland firefighting. I have a cousin who is in Alberta and he’s loved it and makes great money.

I’ve thought about being a cop more then a few times. It’s still definitely on my radar.

I sent you a PM

OutHeavy

FNG
I'm going to offer a slightly different perspective. At 24 you still have plenty of time to determine your career path. You have plenty of time to redirect or change your career path. You likely have plenty of time that isn't committed to a spouse, children or financial obligations. As you get older what you won't have is time like you have now. You'll never have more time to hunt than right now. Live frugally, live responsibly and hunt your ass off. It will make you a better hunter in the long run and a more successful hunter when what you don't have is time.

JFK

WKR
Not sure where you are located but being a fireman is a solid option. I did it at 32 and my only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner. It’s absolutely not for everyone….but if you like it, then you’ll love it. You won’t get rich, but it offers a very stable income, and time off is not an issue. I took 28 days off last fall and could do that every year if I wanted. You see some bad stuff, but generally speaking, it’s balanced out by the immense feeling of helping people when they need it most. If you like working hard, team work and don’t get spooked easily it’s worth checking out.

Good luck in whatever direction you choose to go.