Bring back made in USA..

CorbLand

WKR
You may as well be discussing this with a fence post, because this dude isn't going to get it. He's got it all figured out, yet somehow hasn't shown any qualifications to back up his claims of knowing everything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
A lot of world problems have been solved talking to fence posts but those generally had barb wire attached to them.

schmalzy

WKR
The best advice I could give anyone looking at going to college is to look at what you want to do and what it takes to get there. Does what you want to do really require you to go to college? The unfortunate answer with this is yes, it most likely does. 25 years ago a college education made you stand out from the rest, today a college education is a requirement to interview for an entry level position.

For the last 15 years we have demonized not going to college by telling people they are stupid/losers if they don’t go, then we turn around and tell those same kids they were dumb for going.

I was talking with my wife’s cousin, her boyfriends dad runs a multimillion dollar construction business. When asked what his plans were after graduation, he said “I am going to go serve a mission for my church, then come home and work for my dad to take over his business.” His high school counselor responded with “oh, so your going to be a loser for the rest of your life.”

This is what we are telling 18 year olds, myself being one of them. Then we tell them they were dumb for the choices they made based on what they are being told.

Edit to add. I quoted the wrong post than what I intended with my response.

Great post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fall into the millennial generation by a year or two.

I was working 40 hours per week starting in the 11th grade. I was programming and running CNC Lathe's at age 16, ....and working 60 hours a week at age 17 and even had to have my parents produce a letter to my employer's insurance and HR department showing that I had in fact graduated high school and was able to work those number of hours.... ( I don't do that kind of work anymore because there is no "good money" in it)

All of us Arnt lazy. Most of us are.

I'm all about buying American if possible. Unfortunately, most products that are "Made in America" import their material from China or Tiawan.

My advice to those younger generations is to tie yourself to a profession that requires a degree AND a license to practice. Make sure it is hard and next to impossible for others to get and that it is in demand and always will be.

Poser

WKR
I'm a carpenter, I work hard. I weld, build engines and vehicles, all sorts of physically demanding stuff for fun.

Only way I'd take a factory job would be if my family starving was the only option.

And I know how to hunt.

1. I’d be interested to know if the OP has actually spent extensive time working in factories and 2. Does he realize that factory work is headed for a future of almost full automation and, on that front, is not a career field of longevity without experience in engineer status, robotics maintenance (a college degree).

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
1. I’d be interested to know if the OP has actually spent extensive time working in factories and 2. Does he realize that factory work is headed for a future of almost full automation and, on that front, is not a career field of longevity without experience in engineer status, robotics maintenance (a college degree).
OP here, I never spent one minute working in a factory, all my brothers,5, and two sisters did, one moved on to a degree in Mech. engineering. And yes I realize automation is taking over many manual jobs, and not only in factories. I started working at about 13 years old doing misc. jobs for a roofing contractor in So. Wi. from there I went to gas station attendant, then on to appliance delivery and up to sales. All this before joining the Navy where I went to school for and became a A/C tech. While in the Navy I went to AC&R school in Norfolk, VA. for six months. The class we were taught was the same Mech. refrigeration class that was being taught at Old Dominion University. Two of our instructors were professors at the college. We took in six months, the very same class that took two years at ODU. After the Navy I moved out to So.Ca. and continued working in trade. I was a member of local 250 for 38 years. During that time I took many, 38 week journeyman classes which had to do with all aspects of A/C and refrigeration, from small systems on up to large industrial direct expansion, and chilled water centrifugal units . I worked on, installing and servicing all of the systems being used during my time in the trade. I retired as one of the top A/C techs. in all of LA and Orange County. I have forgot more than most people will ever know. It's not bragging, if it's fact.

I'm guessing no.

And he's looking at factories through the rose colored glasses of the 50s.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The internet is hilarious. Btw, cant get into college without a high school diploma kid. But you can most definitely get into law school without a philosophy degree.
That is flat wrong. I have three degrees and I dropped out of highschool because it was a waste of time.

I will help you out, none of them are a philosophy degree. One is an Arts degree, though.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
That is flat wrong. I have three degrees and I dropped out of highschool because it was a waste of time.

I will help you out, none of them are a philosophy degree. One is an Arts degree, but that one is granted by Congress.

My understanding is that college admissions love HS dropouts these days. A good HS dropout story will get one into college over an average or slightly above average HS graduate application.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My understanding is that college admissions love HS dropouts these days. A good HS dropout story will get one into college over an average or slightly above average HS graduate application.
Perhaps, I don't remember giving any story though. The Navy required 15 hours of college credit to accept the GED in lieu of a HS diploma though.

Last edited:
OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Perhaps, I don't remember giving any story though. Mine was on GED and ACT scores, got a scholarship out of them to boot. The Navy required 15 hours of college credit to accept the GED in lieu of a HS diploma though; however, I was still young enough my parents had to sign my enlightenment papers.
You were Navy so you can't be too bad. :) USS Little Rock CLG 4

I try to buy US stuff. I wear Prison Blues jeans and Hickory shirts. They are made in Pendleton. I’m not sure if the materials are US sourced. Not producing a lot of our own raw materials has a limiting factor as well. If it isn’t grown, it has to be mined.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You were Navy so you can't be too bad. :) USS Little Rock CLG 4
That depends, I was a rider, and you know how ships company feels about us. USS McInerney FFG 8, USS Nitze DDG 92.

Last edited:

I will help you out, none of them are a philosophy degree. One is an Arts degree, but that one is granted by Congress.

A GED provides certification that you have high school -level academic skills in lieu of a high school diploma.

So i’ll rephrase, you can’t get into college without a high school diploma or as a high school dropout demonstrating you have the equivalent academic skills as a high school graduate. You’ll have to forgive me for excluding high school dropouts from coming in through the back door as i’ve never known a high school dropout.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's keep this thread constructive.

Remember there is no need to take any argument to the personal level

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I have two Master degrees (MBA and MS in Supply Chain Management), and a BA in Political Science. I can tell you first hand that most degrees are worthless these days in terms of you truly benefiting from the “education”. More technical degrees on the other hand (e.g. Engineering, medical school, etc.) are clearly more beneficial in terms of you actually applying what you learned in school. Most non-tech degrees these days are a great way for you to get your foot in the door (i.e. an initial interview) by meeting some “minimum requirements”. As a hiring manager myself, I can care less what degree you had or where you went to school. Recruiters on the other hand have filtered a lot of the applications, and it is easier for them to reduce a stack of 200+ applications setting some requirements, such as having a Masters.

My advice is for someone to get a degree that they will actually use and not that will get them an easy “A” or be relatively worthless to society. There is clearly more opportunities if you can get a STEM degree or anything technical. Plumbers and mechanics for example are easily making more than the majority of 22 year olds with a worthless Bachelors degree and burdened with debt. CHOOSE WISELY. Also, never too late to shift directions, but easier to do this without a ton of debt and without sinking a ton of time in a the “wrong” direction. Just my $0.02.

Millennial manufacturing engineer here (with a mechanical engineering degree). Ironically, even though my job and degree mostly match up, I hardly use anything I took classes for in college. I use maybe 3 of my 4.5 yrs worth of classes, at least as far as direct application (and my closer friends that I graduated with all say the same). But, I chose a state school that was relatively cheap, worked for two years in high school mowing lawns, had a paid internship (I know that's not necessarily standard in all fields, which I think is dumb), and graduated debt free.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
A GED provides certification that you have high school -level academic skills in lieu of a high school diploma.

So i’ll rephrase, you can’t get into college without a high school diploma or as a high school dropout demonstrating you have the equivalent academic skills as a high school graduate. You’ll have to forgive me for excluding high school dropouts from coming in through the back door...
That's how I got awarded a scholarship, by performing well on my GED scores and finishing high school level a year early, after having dropped out 2 years earlier.

7mm-08

WKR
With the shortage of everything and the price tag attached to all good, I think it's time for manufacturing to shift back to producing products here in the USA. If you are waiting for the price of good to go back down, don't hold your breath. I live in so. Cal. uggh, and the number of container ships, last count 62, with 500k containers, waiting up to four weeks to unload is amazing. The cost to ship each container has gone up from around $2k per to $4500 on avg. Who do you think is paying that extra cost, us that's who. And it's likely to go higher in the near future. So with all that extra cost to ship from overseas, when will it become more financially beneficial to gear back up and manufacture right here in the USA. Or are we just going accept the fact that we are going to continue to be at the mercy of offshore goods, along with the increasing cost.
Like you, I wish that American business would move away from the bottom-line calculation (only) and consider the social and financial benefits that bringing manufacturing back to the good old USA would provide our county. Captialism, however, appears to rule and that is likely not in the cards. I believe there are a good number of hardworking young folks in rural communities (like where I grew up) that really want to stay in the community, but have no option other than to follow jobs, which generally means moving to larger, more industrialized locales. Bringing manufacturing back stateside would also provide us with the ability to control supply chain issues that have haunted us since COVID-19 rung our bell. Americans are better capitalists than any others in the world. When and if that scale tips, manufacturing will (again) bloom stateside. It would be wonderful to see that in my lifetime!

MattB

WKR

So i’ll rephrase, you can’t get into college without a high school diploma or as a high school dropout demonstrating you have the equivalent academic skills as a high school graduate. You’ll have to forgive me for excluding high school dropouts from coming in through the back door as i’ve never known a high school dropout.
Having read the last few pages of this thread, it looks like we can add that to a long list of things you think you know.

If we want to increase manufacturing in the US, we are going to have to massively increase immigration to get the bodies to do so.