Bowtech/Elite review?

Would you like to see a review on (pick 1-2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jbehredt

WKR
That's Tanner.

You didn't shoot the Era?
Tanner. Yes. And my goal with a new bow was to see if I could close my pin gaps after moving to a heavier arrow last season. It was also my first time in there so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Went in focused on those two bows knowing that if one felt good and shot significantly faster than my Pulse I’d order it. Those guys are the best I’ve dealt with since Archery In the Wild closed. Been back a few times already. I’ll hang out more some Saturday and shoot the Era and SS34 just to see. They make it very comfortable.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Tanner. Yes. And my goal with a new bow was to see if I could close my pin gaps after moving to a heavier arrow last season. It was also my first time in there so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Went in focused on those two bows knowing that if one felt good and shot significantly faster than my Pulse I’d order it. Those guys are the best I’ve dealt with since Archery In the Wild closed. Been back a few times already. I’ll hang out more some Saturday and shoot the Era and SS34 just to see. They make it very comfortable.
Come to indoor league tonight at 7p, Id like to see the money pot grow.

Jbehredt

WKR
Come to indoor league tonight at 7p, Id like to see the money pot grow.

Thanks for the invite. MIL birthday dinner is tonight though. NO escaping that! And my pulse is sort of torn apart in anticipation of the Omnia’s arrival. May have jumped the gun a bit on that.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for the invite. MIL birthday dinner is tonight though. NO escaping that! And my pulse is sort of torn apart in anticipation of the Omnia’s arrival. May have jumped the gun a bit on that.
Oh you didn't take the one they had?

Your MIL doesn't need a reminder that she is now older.

Last edited:
TLDR version: we are spoiled with great options, but unless the bow is fully set-up for you personally, you aren't getting the best experience.

I found a shop about an hour from me with a PSE Mach 34 with S2 cams. While there I shot: Mach 34 (S2 cams), PSE Levitate (E2 cams), Hoyt RX7, and the Elite Era. Today did not provide much clarity for me. It is clear that to properly evaluate a bow you need to be able to set it up for you with your preferred components.

I really like the S2 cams on the Mach 34. They felt great to me even though the draw length was too long. I wouldn't change down to the EC cams which seems like a popular choice. The Mach 34 no doubt would be a great choice for a lot of western hunters, but it reminded me I still prefer 32" ATA for an all-around 28" DL hunting bow.

The PSE Levitate was the perfect size for my preferences. I'd prefer a bit more brace height and I don't care for the Nock On graphics and colors. All shallow critique, but if I'm spending new alpha bow money, I'm going to be picky. There is a hybrid PSE in my mind that would be perfect, but it does not currently exist. I want the Levity riser, S2 cams with the new shim system, and the finish options of the Mach 34.

Both PSEs had significant vibration on shot. This could likely be reduced and certainly ignored. The Elite Era I shot also had vibration after the shot. It begs the question, what stabilizer did the last shop put on their Era. All my other initial impressions remain for the Era, but without a stabilizer (today), it felt like the PSEs and did not seem as "special".

The Hoyt RX7 was easily the nicest shot experience today. It was fully kitted out.

If choosing specifically for a tree stand bow, I'd have to set-up a shootout between the Elite Era and the Hoyt RX7. I'd prefer the tunability of the Era, but not if I couldn't match the shooting experience or accuracy of the Hoyt.

The Mach 34 seems ideal for a high country muley hunt I've got in mind. But I'd have a hard time spending carbon money on any of the PSE choices, knowing they are one iteration away from the ideal set-up for me.

I'll see what is released at ATA. I may stick with the Revolt X for another year and pick-up a back-up bow in the classifieds.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
TLDR version: we are spoiled with great options, but unless the bow is fully set-up for you personally, you aren't getting the best experience.

I agree and I had a similar conversation with someone at Elite last night.

I think how folks select bows is flawed, the manufacturers know it, and they capitalize on it.

People go in and shoot a bow bare, mostly with a whisker rest, and nothing else. They gauge the feel of the bow at and during release as a main selection point, generally draw cycle next. I have to question if vibration/dead in the hand/quiet/etc equates to anything down range.

I'd much rather get a bow that clearly demonstrates a measurable improvement in accuracy but has more "hand shock".

JStol5

WKR
I agree and I had a similar conversation with someone at Elite last night.

I think how folks select bows is flawed, the manufacturers know it, and they capitalize on it.

People go in and shoot a bow bare, mostly with a whisker rest, and nothing else. They gauge the feel of the bow at and during release as a main selection point, generally draw cycle next. I have to question if vibration/dead in the hand/quiet/etc equates to anything down range.

I'd much rather get a bow that clearly demonstrates a measurable improvement in accuracy but has more "hand shock".
I agree with this wholeheartedly. When I went to get my first flagship bow, I made my decision based off noise, and hand shock. Fast forward a bit and thousands of arrows later, if I had been a more discerning/knowledgeable customer, I would have walked out with a different bow.

I found a shop about an hour from me with a PSE Mach 34 with S2 cams. While there I shot: Mach 34 (S2 cams), PSE Levitate (E2 cams), Hoyt RX7, and the Elite Era. Today did not provide much clarity for me. It is clear that to properly evaluate a bow you need to be able to set it up for you with your preferred components.

I really like the S2 cams on the Mach 34. They felt great to me even though the draw length was too long. I wouldn't change down to the EC cams which seems like a popular choice. The Mach 34 no doubt would be a great choice for a lot of western hunters, but it reminded me I still prefer 32" ATA for an all-around 28" DL hunting bow.

The PSE Levitate was the perfect size for my preferences. I'd prefer a bit more brace height and I don't care for the Nock On graphics and colors. All shallow critique, but if I'm spending new alpha bow money, I'm going to be picky. There is a hybrid PSE in my mind that would be perfect, but it does not currently exist. I want the Levity riser, S2 cams with the new shim system, and the finish options of the Mach 34.

Both PSEs had significant vibration on shot. This could likely be reduced and certainly ignored. The Elite Era I shot also had vibration after the shot. It begs the question, what stabilizer did the last shop put on their Era. All my other initial impressions remain for the Era, but without a stabilizer (today), it felt like the PSEs and did not seem as "special".

The Hoyt RX7 was easily the nicest shot experience today. It was fully kitted out.

If choosing specifically for a tree stand bow, I'd have to set-up a shootout between the Elite Era and the Hoyt RX7. I'd prefer the tunability of the Era, but not if I couldn't match the shooting experience or accuracy of the Hoyt.

The Mach 34 seems ideal for a high country muley hunt I've got in mind. But I'd have a hard time spending carbon money on any of the PSE choices, knowing they are one iteration away from the ideal set-up for me.

I'll see what is released at ATA. I may stick with the Revolt X for another year and pick-up a back-up bow in the classifieds.

Do you know if the timing was properly set on the Elite?

That's something that can effect the feel.

I'm with Sandman, the feel of the shot is what sells bows and its arguably the least important part. I do know a few guys with PSE tho that have trouble keeping things tight on sights. Talking target sights, not hunting sights.

Hold and how well you shoot the bow is what's important, and more than having it with any bars and sights, you need to have the draw length really dialed in. Both in actual draw length, and loop length.

Ideally you should setup a bow to hold without bars, fine tune the draw length to get the hold right, then start adding stability.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Do you know if the timing was properly set on the Elite?

That's something that can effect the feel.

I went back today and we swapped the comfort mods in the Era over to performance mods and it was a different bow in my eyes. I'm not sure the why of that.

I went back today and we swapped the comfort mods in the Era over to performance mods and it was a different bow in my eyes. I'm not sure the why of that.

I don't know. I'm not too familiar with the new Elites. I know that they don't want you to play with cables and string to adjust draw or letoff. But that doesn't mean that they are all getting sent out correctly either.

I was asking based on @dreamingWest saying that he felt more vibration at the shot than he had previously I thought.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I don't know. I'm not too familiar with the new Elites. I know that they don't want you to play with cables and string to adjust draw or letoff. But that doesn't mean that they are all getting sent out correctly either.

I was asking based on @dreamingWest saying that he felt more vibration at the shot than he had previously I thought.

Could be a rest thing or a cam lean thing too. I felt that of all the bows I did shoot I could see some sideways arrow flying. We noticed that bow has noticeably more lateral deflection; you could see it flex laying on its side screwing the rest in. So much so, that we pulled all the other carbon bows out and did the same "test" and a few aluminum bows.
Surprise surprise...that Carbon One is a stout SOB.

Could be a rest thing or a cam lean thing too. I felt that of all the bows I did shoot I could see some sideways arrow flying. We noticed that bow has noticeably more lateral deflection; you could see it flex laying on its side screwing the rest in. So much so, that we pulled all the other carbon bows out and did the same "test" and a few aluminum bows.
Surprise surprise...that Carbon One is a stout SOB.

Good to know someone has a stiff carbon bow.

I can't say regarding cam timing on the Era I shot today. Both Era's I have shot were 70#. The impressive sample was fresh out of the box with a simple ~8" stabilizer and a whisker biscuit screwed on. The one I shot today was off the rack with a cable driven rest and no stabilizer.

I didn't investigate too much. Every bow I shot at the new shop today had significant vibe other than the RX7. I liked the owner of the new shop and was happy he was spending so much time with me chatting and shooting. That said, I didn't ask him to make any changes on the demos.

I learned a lot about the new bows today. But not enough to declare my favorite this year. I'm still very intrigued by the Era.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Negative :( And it’s been nearly 4 weeks. They did say 6-8. Doesn’t mean a girl can’t dream though…
They are growing the rocket fuel.

Are you loving everything else over?

If your other bow was 257fps, it will be interesting to see how easy you can tune your old arrows since you gained 30fps.

I was thinking about getting a set of the lightest hunting arrows I can find, I think victory extreme velocity, and seeing if tuning over 320fps was difficult.