Bow sizing question

PFERN

Lil-Rokslider
Quick question and looking for advice. I've found two "custom/stock" bows that I like however one is 62" and the other is 64". I currently shoot a 62" and it feels great size wise but I was wondering if the extra two inches would cause any problems with hunting?

I'm 5'10 out west hunting. Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Idaho are the areas. So no climbing trees or sitting in manufactured blinds

Beendare

WKR
Hunt with whatever you shoot the best. You will not notice the extra 2” of bow in the field.
Yeah, agreed. Hunting with a longer bow has never been an issue for me hunting…BUT, it really isn’t as simple to say longer is smoother- thats not always the case.

Longer does have less string pinch with the less acute string angle …..and longer gives you more options like string walking or a fixed crawl.

Besides that…it really depends on the bow. Toelke and others make a great short recurve and those Shrew model short longbows point really well and have good cast.

mjh

Lil-Rokslider
What's your draw length??

Which bow draw's smoother to you??

Some of this is personal preference.

With a draw of 29 inches I like 62 inch recurves all day long. Doesn't mean I might not go up or down a few inches with another bow that I like to shoot. My R/D longbow is 60 inches. Hunted Turkey with this past spring.

GLB

WKR
I usually lean on the longer side that would work for my draw length.

Wrench

WKR
My 58" Whistler is certainly handier than my 64" whip....but I hunt super thick stuff. In more open timber it would make no difference.

OP
PFERN

PFERN

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I am still learning the traditional aspect on my own.

28.5 draw length

In regards to the length of the bow, some of the things I think more about are the basic stalk tactics with a compound bow vs a recurve and having to shoot off the knees at times. Also being in or around heavy brush.

mgmicky

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’ll get used to and adjust to a longer bow just fine. My shortest bow is 62” (only shoot longbows) but I mostly hunt with 66-68” bows, even from treestands.

wildman73

FNG
All good stuff, to me a little longer depending on geometry, lessons finger pinch for me anyway. It's noticeable, I have pudgy fingers!

OP
PFERN

PFERN

Lil-Rokslider
Update I went with the 64" just waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully after some work I'll put it to use for javelina this next year.

Thanks for any and all advice

OP
PFERN

PFERN

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a 66" and 68" longbow fan for hunting and targets
This one is a recurve. I made sure to get the coyote from stalker stickbows because it's limbs are interchangeable with the longbow limbs. Feels great in the hands and as was mentioned before the 2 inch difference isn't much

Tradchef

WKR
This one is a recurve. I made sure to get the coyote from stalker stickbows because it's limbs are interchangeable with the longbow limbs. Feels great in the hands and as was mentioned before the 2 inch difference isn't much
That's a nice bow. You'll enjoy it. I really liked his Jackyl as well too.

South makes a killer bow. I actually sold all my other customs and just run coyote I had him make with the acs longbow limbs. It’s been a killing machine and favorite bow of all time.

hunterjrg

FNG
I have 58 62 and a 66 longbows from Dwyer. I’m a 30” draw and love the smoothness of the 66” original but I’m predominantly a tree stand hunter so I often opt for the 58”. The 66 cost me a doe a few years ago when my bow limb hit a stick.