Binos: If Swaro prices = no go... what would be your choice if Budget = $1K?

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Used SLC 10x42 I really don't think you can go wrong. It doesn't sound like time is on your side, but I picked up a brand new pair a few years ago for $1400. The only other higher end brand I can speak to is Mavens, my buddy has a pair of 11x45 the higher end model, (M1 I believe) I was VERY impressed. Although I wasn't able to compare them against mine I would be surprised if they weren't as good.

Before my SLC I had a pair of Nikon Monarch 7 8x35. I was very pleased with them, especially for the price. That being said, it took me years to justify/ take the plunge and I do not regret it one bit!

In order of preference, having used them all:

New:
Vortex Razor HD 10x50 (a very underrated bino)
Nikon HG 10x42
Vortex Razor HD 10x42
Zeiss Conquest HD
Leica Trinovid 10x42
Zeiss T* P 10x40

Used (a bit more than $1k):
Swaro Non-SV EL 10x42
Swaro 10x42 SLC HD

Forest

WKR
Really love my zeiss conquests. But I'd probably do the meostars next time, just cause

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

In that price range the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42. It isn’t very often that I get “wow’d” when looking through a new glass but I really wasn’t expecting the Nikons to be as good as they are for the price. In addition to the absolutely superb optics, they’re lightweight and very ergonomic, which means buyers will actually carry them in the field and use them.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I would buy another pair of cheaper binos until i could afford swaros.
that where i screwed up. I had vipers and bought razors. Should of just stuck with the vipers until i was ready to spend the coin.
I have a pair of Vortex Talons that are better than the Razors I had. Had... Bit the bullet and did eventually buy SLC 10s.

sf jakey

WKR
I bought a pair of Meopta Meostar 15’s this year. I find them clearer and brighter than my 2003 8.5x42 swaro el in every situation. I would not hesitate on the Meopta.

CO2130

WKR
I’d recommend Leica trinovids or Ziess conquest if you’re wanting new. Or as others said find something used in your budget, good deals come along from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sako300

WKR
If you aren’t in a rush, a set of used HD SLC’s can be found for close to $1200. Not only will you have one of the finest binoculars as we speak, they will hold their value down the road! I understand it’s $200 more! But, you won’t have to wake up one day and wonder if there is something out there better! Of course Swarovski will have there latest and greatest NLs. Apparently, they will stop making the SLCs. If you need a pair fast, call cameraland and get a pair of Meopta Meostars! They also hold value and are excellent in regards to optical quality! I own Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, Maven, Vortex, and Meopta’s. Meopta Meostars are 95-97 % of the best binoculars currently. Especially when used on tripods!

Shindo

FNG
+1 for Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 . The extra FOV on these is really impressive. I really like mine, and I took a while to decide after looking through a ton of different brands. You can get them for a pretty reasonable price too.

Although like Doug mentioned, I would check out the Kowa's if you can get a look through them. I've been impressed with their spotters, and assume their binos would be high quality too.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Meostars are great. IMO Nikon HGs are just as good, if not better and half pound lighter almost.

manitou1

WKR
In the Meostar camp here too. Love 'em. I sat on a ridge glassing with a buddy. He had SLCs and I had Meostars. We switched back and forth until dusk. I preferred the Meostars... maybe because that is what I use, maybe because two binos of the same model can even sometimes have variances. Each of us can have different visual acuity and interpret colors differently, so what one person prefers may not be the best fit for another.
That being said, it's great that we have so many options for great glass nowadays. Any of the ones mention can be used for years of service and not handicap a hunter.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Thanks you guys. So definitely looks like used SLC, and some Meostars need to be looked at.

Meantime I'll send the DiamondBack back in. For bow I'll take the small 8x26mm DaimondBacks. They should be sorta ok in there in the thick. They're just not great in low light though. May take the Vultures, but the pack weight is gettin' up there.

Last edited:

amo16

FNG
Meantime I'll send the DiamondBack back in.

You shouldn't even have to send them in if they're anything like most binos. They should just send you a new eye cup. Unthread the old one and thread in the new one. 15 seconds and you're done.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
The SLC's are awesome optical glass, but the optical differences between them and other really good glass like the Nikon and Meopta is fractional. You won't notice a huge difference until you really start pushing the conditions of use.

I finally scratched the itch and bought some SLC's brand new yet I have to say I'm a bit disappointed as the focus wheel is getting pretty gritty right out of the gate and the hinge developed a weird squealing feel at times. Not what I expect from top shelf glass for that kind of money. I bought them new to avoid a gritty focuser, yet mine is quickly becoming one. Trying to decide whether to return them for another set or just move on.

I also picked up some 8x32 Cabela's Meopta's for bow hunting today and the focus wheel and hinge are butter smooth by comparison. Build quality of the Meopta's are stout. Glass is really good. Very close to SLC quality, but the Swaro glass is indeed superb.

Both Meostars and Nikon MHG's are good choices that can be had at or below your price range. Meostars are an aluminum body and a bit heavier than most but have excellent armour, The MHG's are a magnesium body which will be sturdy yet light, but aren't fully armoured. One of the pet peeves I had on the Nikons is the diopter lock ring doesn't really lock into position. It popped open once in awhile upon taking them out of my harness. Not a deal breaker, but worth a mention. The refurb deal on them listed earlier in the thread is hard to beat for the money.

Tons of good choices in the optics world right now.

Last edited:
I went through this a year ago and settled on the Nikon Monarch HG’s my only theoretical regret right now is that I picked 10x instead of 8x. But with different use cases I might just need two binos.