Binos: If Swaro prices = no go... what would be your choice if Budget = $1K?

270quest

WKR
I recieved my Kowa Genesis 10.5x44s today - not sure there is much that beats them optically period - no matter the price....Holy wow factor...Yes they are stout, but the view - wow....If more people had the chance to actually look thru these - Doug would have sold out when he offered them for 1k....

KU_Geo

WKR
I would vote for zeiss conquest. They can be had new for sub$800 by looking around or maybe even cheaper for a demo pair. Nikon HGs are very nice as well, just warranty is not as good. I’ve tried both and prefer the conquest. But yes, SLCs are definitely a step up from either. If you need something today and don’t have time, the deal on the Kowa’s is about as good as you’ll find.

ianpadron

WKR
Meopta Meostar HDs. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lyin.

Significantly better than Maven B1s, B2s AND Vortex Razors (also better than the UHDs to my eyes)

The only other bino I've heard that can hang at that pricepoint is the new Nikon HG but I don't have any first hand experience with that one, so can't say how it stacks up to the Meopta.

Last edited:

JakeSCH

WKR
@TheGDog do you want another 10x? I run 9x and 18x have do not have a need for anything in between unless I wanted to run only a single bino, I would go with a 12x.

Glass at that price point is pretty good, that is why so many people give different options. Everyone prefers what they bought (typically that is why they bought it).

I would recommend snagging a pair of used ones on here of any of the binos recommended (Ziess, Kowa Genesis, Meostar HD, Maven, etc) when they come available. Then since you got them used, it wouldn't be to hard to re-sale them for the same price if you don't like them with your glasses.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
The Kowa is very good also. I bought a pair of the 8x33 and they are excellent. I assume the 42’s are even better.

In that price range the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42. It isn’t very often that I get “wow’d” when looking through a new glass but I really wasn’t expecting the Nikons to be as good as they are for the price. In addition to the absolutely superb optics, they’re lightweight and very ergonomic, which means buyers will actually carry them in the field and use them.

Agreed, way more comfortable than the Meoptas to hold for hours. Really happy with the HG’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Meopta Meostar HDs. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lyin.

Significantly better than Maven B1s, B2s AND Vortex Razors (also better than the UHDs to my eyes)

The only other bino I've heard that can hang at that pricepoint is the new Nikon HG but I don't have any first hand experience with that one, so can't say how it stacks up to the Meopta.
You sir, need to spend some quality time with Conquest HD's IMO. :D

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
@TheGDog do you want another 10x? I run 9x and 18x have do not have a need for anything in between unless I wanted to run only a single bino, I would go with a 12x.

Glass at that price point is pretty good, that is why so many people give different options. Everyone prefers what they bought (typically that is why they bought it).

I would recommend snagging a pair of used ones on here of any of the binos recommended (Ziess, Kowa Genesis, Meostar HD, Maven, etc) when they come available. Then since you got them used, it wouldn't be to hard to re-sale them for the same price if you don't like them with your glasses.
I've already got some Vortex Vulture HD's 15x56. Depending on area I'm going to, (such as Desert Rolling Hills like on backside of D11 in CA) if I know I'll benefit from Tripod and glassing, the Vultures come with, But they are a bit heavy. If I'm carrying the 15's I might also carry the small 8x28mm DiamondBack Compacts I have, which I actually like a lot. BUT... they can't offer you better low-light vision than your eye can give you. But they are light and darn easy to throw up handheld quickly to check something, when you have had a long hike-in to an area, and your pulse pounding.

I use the 10x for everything else typically.

First time going into a particular area? Bring the 10's.
Area is thick? And the ranges won't be far? And need low-light help? Bring the 10's.
Would like to bring the 15's but the pack is getting too heavy as it is? either Bring the 10s, OR bring the 8's and the 15's.

Most of the places I can go to, you have to bring in your own water, so weight is a big factor in the equation. So I have to be pretty certain I'll have opportunity to use the Tripod before I'll bring the 15's, usually.

Some times if I'm not sure of what the location will present me with, I'll bring the little 8x28 DaimondBack's to use by hand AND the 15x56 Vultures if I see someplace at distance I wanna check out.

The 15's are NOT for hand-holding. You can half-a$$ manage to hand hold'em to spot check something quickly, I've sometimes brought just the 15's, due to weight reasons, but it's hard on your eyes from image shaking.

So far I've only been successful doing ambush style hunting. Where I'll spend all day seated behind a ground blind. In those instances I'm just using the binos to spot-check and verify what I'm seeing is or is not a valid target.

In another location I goto for coyotes and ground squirrels... the Desert Rolling HIlls are steep. A spot-and-stalk scenario there would definitely be the move. I've spotted Muleys at like @650yds feeding. In that location... since it's very open and sparse. Having the 15's would be essential to formulating a plan for how you're going to stalk-in on a looooong round-a-bout way.

Last edited:

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
As you can see by the various responses, there are a few really good choices that keep getting repeatedly recommended at your price point and all are great glass. Folks are going to trumpet what they picked for themselves, but it becomes a personal preference thing at this point. Your best bet is to test some of them and let your own eyes pick the one for you.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Used SwaRO SLC 10x42 ,, got mine for under $1000... 2004s in perfect shape..
Question... is this one of those things where a user won't really notice a difference much from 2004 to now? Like... the assumption being let's say.... the coatings technology didn't have any major changes during those years?

JakeSCH

WKR
I've already got some Vortex Vulture HD's 15x56. Depending on area I'm going to, (such as Desert Rolling Hills like on backside of D11 in CA) if I know I'll benefit from Tripod and glassing, the Vultures come with, But they are a bit heavy. If I'm carrying the 15's I might also carry the small 8x28mm DiamondBack Compacts I have, which I actually like a lot. BUT... they can't offer you better low-light vision than your eye can give you. But they are light and darn easy to throw up handheld quickly to check something, when you have had a long hike-in to an area, and your pulse pounding.

I use the 10x for everything else typically.

First time going into a particular area? Bring the 10's.
Area is thick? And the ranges won't be far? And need low-light help? Bring the 10's.
Would like to bring the 15's but the pack is getting too heavy as it is? either Bring the 10s, OR bring the 8's and the 15's.

Most of the places I can go to, you have to bring in your own water, so weight is a big factor in the equation. So I have to be pretty certain I'll have opportunity to use the Tripod before I'll bring the 15's, usually.

Some times if I'm not sure of what the location will present me with, I'll bring the little 8x28 DaimondBack's to use by hand AND the 15x56 Vultures if I see someplace at distance I wanna check out.

The 15's are NOT for hand-holding. You can half-a$$ manage to hand hold'em to spot check something quickly, I've sometimes brought just the 15's, due to weight reasons, but it's hard on your eyes from image shaking.

for sure, recently I’ve been finding ways to save weight in other areas.

if I am only doing a day trip I always bring the big glass, only time i consider leaving it is if I am backpacking in.

It’s not cheap but check out TricerUSA, I am going to run the gtp-III this year which saves me 1 lb from my light weigh slik.

Since weight is important I think the Nikon HG is definitely the 10x I would look closely at. Great glass and weights only 24 oz.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
The MeoStar's 10x42 B1's are listed as 595g @ cameraland nyc which is just shy of 21oz.

That Tricer concept is intriguing, to say the least.

Is there just a single finite amount of swing-out for each of the "legs" on the Tricer?

I'm asking because the concept *sounds* bitchin'.... BUT... I use 3-section Trekking Poles that are of a fixed length when all sections are connected together. (A cable thru their middles locks them into each other) so the height of the poles isn't adjustable *that* way. So I was wondering if their Tricer had the ability to fan the legs out at a greater angle to achieve differing viewing heights?

I'm really diggin' on their design concept though! Cause yeah, the Trekking poles are redonkuously light. I typically only take one with me usually, but if it'll help take care of these functions that would Rock!

Last edited:
OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Curious to get the pros and cons and weigh-ins from anyone here that's decided to make the switch over to carrying just 12x's as your do-all bino?

I've already determined that between the 15's and the 11-33x50mm Razor Spotter I have... I definitely prefer using the 15's over the spotter, because I see more than double the FOV in width since two-eyes vs 1. And much more for-giving eye-relief distance on the Vultures compared to that spotter, when the spotter gets cranked up, ya gotta be right up on it, like my glasses touching the darn thing in the highest parts of the magnification range.

And I'm to new in hunting to give much of a crap about wanting to be all kindsa picky in terms of the bucks rack. If I happen to readily be able to tell this one is bigger than that one, sure, why not, I'd see about taking the bigger antlered one...but my point is I'm NOT doing the Trophy hunter thing of passing up bucks yet. Don't really see myself doing that for some time, to be honest.

I mean I really dig on gridding a hill-side with the 15's... it works real super-fast for that... but their added weight to the pack is significant. So kinda curious if there's something to this 12x trend ya keep reading about. My concern there would be how hard it is to hand-hold.