Binos: If Swaro prices = no go... what would be your choice if Budget = $1K?

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
You shouldn't even have to send them in if they're anything like most binos. They should just send you a new eye cup. Unthread the old one and thread in the new one. 15 seconds and you're done.
Seems like they have some adhesive in those threads though. Also looks like the eyecup may have become warped at some point.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Do the Kowa's have a threaded opening there on the hinge point to accept an Outdoorsman's Bino Adapter stud? Hard to tell from their picture if that cap can be removed or not.

That's one of my must haves also.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Anybody know where in SoCal a fella can look thru some of these Binos? Because one of the things I wonder is... since I use Glasses...if I'd even notice that last bit of wow factor to a Swaros image quality, as compared to something else.

I'm kinda trapped by my eyeglasses ability to finally transmit the image to the best of it's ability. So I've often wondered if with my Vision issues if I'd even be able to notice the difference that can be provided once we're getting to that splitting-hairs type of difference up at the top contenders.

Do the Kowa's have a threaded opening there on the hinge point to accept an Outdoorsman's Bino Adapter stud? Hard to tell from their picture if that cap can be removed or not.

That's one of my must haves also.

No, but this works better than I could have imagined. It is a bit pricey, but you'll be getting alpha optics at 1/2 the price of the big 3, so it won't sting so much.

https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/Cinch-LR-BA

Last edited:

Deadfall

WKR
I'm running leupold santiam 10x50 currently. Been using steady for last month ish. Havent had them long enough to make any real comparisons. Have about everything out there over years. Swaro best glass. Zeiss are good as well. Leupold don't compare to them, different class, but I definitely like them better then vortex. After just 2 years with vortex razors they have already started fading, like you would expect out of a nikon or something in that range.
So far I like the leupold. Will probably never by swaro but that's me. Goofy as if is.

Fatcamp

WKR
I went through this a year ago and settled on the Nikon Monarch HG’s my only theoretical regret right now is that I picked 10x instead of 8x. But with different use cases I might just need two binos.

LOL. My only regret with my Meostars is I got 8X instead of 10X.

amassi

WKR
Santiam bx5 in whatever size fits your needs
Great budget eyes

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

pc3

WKR
I have the Meopta Meostar B1.1 10x42 HD's really nice glass and can be had in your price range. I got them for a good deal from Euro Optic when they had a special on them.

hunterjmj

WKR
Meopta Meostar's love my 10's. Hoping to buy 15's for next year. Bino adapter and you're golden.

Attachments

• 621103F3-28D6-4981-A662-A481BD61FE52.jpeg
    621103F3-28D6-4981-A662-A481BD61FE52.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 80

mvrk28

WKR
Doug sold me a pair of Meostar 12x50s for a great price, I was also upgrading from diamondbacks. I looked really hard at the Meostars and Maven B4s, ultimately for me the Meostar won out,

I can't believe it was page 2 before Maven got any love. While the glass is fantastic, the ergonomics of the Meostars doesn't work for everyone. If it were me I would look for a pair of used Maven B2's as suggested above.

Another dark horse to look at is GPO. I have the 10's and the 12.5s and they really are fantastic.

Maven is of course direct to consumer but Doug sells GPO last I checked.

Q child

WKR
For me, the only real contender are the Nikons. I do have a bit of brand loyalty though, so take it with a grain of salt. Pretty much, Nikon is my favorite in every price range where they are represented. Good compact optics with wide bright views and great color and clarity. Better than Vortex in my opinion.

wildcat33

WKR
Coming from an SLC user, to me I would be just as happy with the Nikon HGs these days (for 700 refurb). Spotter might be a different story.

I will say that the big three, especially swaro hold their value. Nikon's arent terrible either. Something to always consider. I paid 1300 for a like new pair of SLCs. In 5 more years Ill probably be able to sell them for 1200. With Athlon, GPO, Maven, etc, you'll be lucky to get a third what you paid for them.

I've owned just about everything that exists under $1K, and my pick is Zeiss Conquest HD's. Get the format you're looking for, and be done with it. I owned the 10x42's and 8x42's but have settled on the outstanding 8x32 Conquest HD's as my "do all" hunting and birding bin. It resolves more detail than my eyes can see, it's bright, it's almost the perfect size and weight for me, and has a very nice field of view for 8x binoculars (wider than the 8x42's).

If you don't mind the weight, the Meostar HD's would probably be my next pick.

Something to consider is what wildcat said above - resale value. I got my Conquests on sale for $689 and I bet I can still get $500 for them in 5-6 years. That's cheap rent.