Binos: If Swaro prices = no go... what would be your choice if Budget = $1K?

TheGDog

WKR
Simple enough question:

If you can't afford Swaros... (more like can't justify the cost of) then what would be your choice if Budget = $1K?

Asking because my DiamondBack 10x42's just took a dump on me. Adjustable eyepiece came off!

Got an 8x and 15x Vultures that could get me thru Bow Season rt now. So I can sorta take my time on this.

-G

Buy used 10x SLC Swaros, you can find some for a 1k or less. Superior glass and in 1- 100 years when/if you decide to sell, you’ll get every penny or more likely, probably make money.

Ask me how I know.

ZDR

WKR
Simple enough question:

If you can't afford Swaros... (more like can't justify the cost of) then what would be your choice if Budget = $1K?

Asking because my DiamondBack 10x42's just took a dump on me. Adjustable eyepiece came off!

Got an 8x and 15x Vultures that could get me thru Bow Season rt now. So I can sorta take my time on this.

-G
I sold a pair of great 8xs to get 10s. I went with the Cabelas euro 10x32s which I loved except for the depth of focus was so short I couldn’t live with them. Took them back intending to trade for Leupold Bx4 or similar. I ended up with Swarovski CL 10x30s and I love them. I tried every 10x Bino in the $1.2k and under range they had at Cabelas and thought they were by far the best. My wife (very experienced bird watcher) really likes them.

If you are just looking for Binoculars, like others have said, get used swaro's. If you want range finding binoculars, look at the sigs. But yes, talk to Doug.

As others have mentioned, used SLCs

Failing that, Meopta Meostars.

I didn’t think any of the vortex offerings(viper, razors) were worth what they were asking for them.

I didn’t mind the Zeiss conquests but I didn’t enjoy the ergonomics. Glass was nice for the price.

I ended up with some demo SLCs, and while I wasn’t happy with the price(who is on high end optics) it’s one piece of kit I haven’t even considered upgrading in the 4 years I’ve had them... and I don’t think I ever will.

ozyclint

WKR
Can't afford a 'normal' Swaro? Then consider the Swaro Habicht in 10x40. I just got the 7x42GA Habicht and they are simply stunning optically. Highest light transmission of just about anything ever made at 96%. They are light and compact for a 40mm Porro. The depth of field and resolution is mind blowing.
I'm in love with Porro's. Far simpler with many advantages over roofs in terms of optical design.

Really, they are awesome. Birdforum has volumes written about the Habicht line.
Get top Swaro optics for less than ⅓ of the price of the new NL. Alpha glass without the price

Last edited:

cocky84

WKR
I would buy another pair of cheaper binos until i could afford swaros.
that where i screwed up. I had vipers and bought razors. Should of just stuck with the vipers until i was ready to spend the coin.

I totally get not wanting to drop the money on alpha glass, it’s a chunk of change! But if you look at it in the long term it’s cheaper to buy the best and be done with it. You buy 3-4 mid tier binos and you’ve paid for any of the top 3 really. And once you have them you’ll realize it’s money well spent. That said I’ve looked through the Maven and Zeiss in that $1000 dollar range and I thought it was very good glass. I can’t imagine giving up my swaros though.

amo16

FNG
Off topic a little, but it sounds like you just need a replacement eye cup. Contact Vortex and they'll most likely just send you one. If you really want some new glass, fix the ones you have so you can wait to look through the new Meopro Airs when they come available or just get the SLCs and be done with it

I totally get not wanting to drop the money on alpha glass, it’s a chunk of change! But if you look at it in the long term it’s cheaper to buy the best and be done with it. You buy 3-4 mid tier binos and you’ve paid for any of the top 3 really. And once you have them you’ll realize it’s money well spent. That said I’ve looked through the Maven and Zeiss in that $1000 dollar range and I thought it was very good glass. I can’t imagine giving up my swaros though.

Long term is the keyword here. If the binoculars work for you, you’re not gonna be longing to replace alpha glass - and it’s not like bows or other gear where theyre coming out with something new and revolutionary every few years. There’s only so much you can do to improve a piece of glass - 20 year old alphas aren’t giving too much up to brand new ones.

It’s a BIFL situation(buy it for life).

Amasaback

FNG
Those $699 factory refurbed Nikon Monarch HG were a really good deal that were mentioned Ina prior post. That said, the way I rationalize it is if you buy Swavorski, then the depreciation is pretty minimal and you are really only paying the difference between what you bought them for and what you sell them for. That they tend to sell quickly. Buying a recent used set makes that even a smaller difference.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like my Zeiss Conquests. I have the 8x42s. On a recent hunt my partner had 10x42 Razors and I was able to identify things at distance better than he was. Cannot compare to anything else though.