Big game wound/recovery ratio

How many animals are you wounding per tag?

• About two animals per recovery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Multiple animals per recovery

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beendare

WKR
I've seen as many rifle shot critters lost as archery- or there about.

Most were just plain bad shots that were beyond there effective range- both rifle/Bow.....some were due to animals moving on the shot.

I've hunted with a lot of guys....guiding rifle guys, calling elk for buddies, groups whitetail hunting, etc. In general, the archery guys are a higher quality hunter because they tended to have years of experience.

Some of the rifle guys were inexperienced- which IMO is the deciding factor and not the weapon.

The worst I've seen was when I hunted with a friend in a hard to draw archery elk unit in Co...and he wounded 2 bulls that we lost. The one was a bad shot angle- especially with his light arrow and mech heads. The other one was a mistake I never thought he would make. He shot a bull broadside I called to him, then he didn't take a layup followup shot when the bull ran past us and I stopped the bull again 20y right in front of him. I didn't see the actual shot location.

I asked why he didn't shoot again and my buddy told me, "That bull is dead".....ugh no, the last time we spotted him was 700y away going over the continental divide with an arrow sticking out his side.

I don't know if there is a point here.....To his credit, I have never seen him lose another animal in many years of hunting.

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have a great wound/recovery percentage.

I haven't figured it, but I've lost 3 bucks (archery) and 2 doe (1 rifle and 1 archery) all whitetail.

I guess that, if you take that over 37 total years of hunting, it's not bad, but I don't view it that way.

I take each lost animal very personally as a failure of myself. I ALWAYS take a lesson from the animal and I ALWAYS 'punch' my tag if I feel a mortal wound was inflicted, that is my animal.

Q child

WKR
I've never shot and wounded an animal that then got away. I don't think anyway. I've shot at and missed before, so I suppose its possible I've made contact but then was unable to find any blood or anything.
My hunting partner lost a cow elk a couple years ago. Hit her twice but she got away. We didn't find her until a day or two later. It was hot and vultures were starting to circle. Sad story.