Shed Hunting- is there mounting opposition?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure, but seems like I'm seeing more and more anti-shed hunting attitudes in the Western hunting communities the last few years, even from some big names who used to be pro-shed hunting. I know personally, it got very hard for me to do it around here without a guilty conscience as some of the winter ranges became downright crowded during the worst conditions of the year. I was seeing deer being ran around almost all day where they never used to see a person from December to April. If you comment on this thread, be respectful. Topics like this often get way more emotional than factual. Here's another indication of the trend I'm seeing:

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife managers advise the public to be responsible and ethical around wintering wildlife, especially while collecting shed antlers late in the cold weather season. Officers are concerned about the growing number of collectors looking for sheds in closed areas, or pressuring big game while the animals are struggling to survive winter conditions.

While shed antler hunting is allowed in most of Colorado, wildlife officers say they have received reports of several unethical collectors entering restricted areas. A few have been seen chasing deer and elk in hopes the startled animals drop their antlers. Officers have ticketed several shed hunters for harassing wildlife this year.

"We are asking folks that want to hunt for sheds, that they do it in an ethical and legal manner and only in areas where it is allowed," said Area Wildlife Manager Perry Will of Glenwood Springs. "We ask that you do not let dogs off leash to chase wildlife, trespass, go off-trail, harass animals with an OHV, or violate closures. If you do, we will enforce our laws and issue citations."

Wildlife officials say in addition to shed hunting, other forms of outdoor recreation, including the irresponsible use of OHVs and ATVs, can be very stressful to wintering wildlife.

"This is about protecting these animals," added Will. "People need to understand that when big game expends critical energy by running from human activity this time of year, it will lead to higher mortality. We will do what we need to do to prevent that."

Two years ago, the CPW Commission approved limits to shed antler collecting in portions of Eagle, Pitkin, Garfield, and Routt counties. Between Jan. 1 through March 15, collecting shed antlers is prohibited on public land in game management units 25, 26, 35, 36, 43, 44, 47, 444, and 471. Between March 15 and May 15, collecting is allowed only between 10 a.m. through sunset.

Similar restrictions have been in place for several years on public land in game management units 54, 55, 66, 67 and 551 in Gunnison County, primarily to protect Gunnison sage-grouse. This winter, heavy snow in the area has been a significant concern, prompting CPW officials to implement a baiting operation to draw big game that have congregated along paved roads away from traffic. Additionally, CPW enacted emergency regulations prohibiting several forms of wildlife-related recreation on public lands below 9,500 feet in an area from the community of Sargents to five miles west of Blue Mesa Dam, and from Crested Butte to Lake City. The regulation prohibits lion hunting, small game hunting, suspends all night-hunting permits and extends the restriction on the collection of antlers and skulls of wildlife through May 15.

Wildlife managers remind shed hunters and all outdoor recreationists that keeping their distance from wintering big game is the most effective way to prevent animal stress and mortality. They say even searching for antlers on foot or horseback can create stressful conditions for wildlife if people get too close.

"We understand that people enjoy hunting sheds, but we ask everyone to be legal and ethical," said Will. "The best option is to follow the laws and keep your distance, and maybe wait until big game has moved to summer range to begin looking for sheds."

Colorado Parks and Wildlife urges anyone that observes illegal activity to contact their local wildlife office, or to remain anonymous contact Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648. Rewards are available for information that leads to a citation.

For more information about shed collection restrictions in the Northwest Region, contact Colorado Parks and Wildlife's Glenwood Springs office at 970-947-2920. For information about restrictions in Gunnison County, call CPW's office in Gunnison at 970-641-7060

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
I don't have a problem with it but why don't they just put a season on it that starts after the animals leave in the spring if it is such an issue?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have a problem with it but why don't they just put a season on it that starts after the animals leave in the spring if it is such an issue?
I thought there was a season but could be wrong. I agree though, adjusting the dates to ease pressure would seem to help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
I look at it no different than regular hunting. It's not the act itself, it's how one goes about it.

The jackasses are always going to be jackasses and the guys with morals are always going to do what's right.

Social media has absolutely ruined shed hunting throughout the West, and the amount of miles you need to put on just to get into some decent pockets of antler is downright ridiculous.

If more guys would wait until the weather warms up or the deer move out, we wouldn't have this issue.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

We already have animal harassment laws to prevent such. As others have mentioned, adjusting the season to a time when the animals are not typically on their winter range makes sense. However, I am sure someone, or group, at some point in time, will question if those antlers are a necessity for some other species, and removing them endangers that species.

The issue as I see it, is that greed (people do sell antlers) drives many peoples behaviors. My suggestion is that we, as hunters, and what I consider the true conservationists, band together to pressure F&W agencies to impose appropriate and effective management regulations that address maintaining healthy herds; before the anti's propose more ridiculous regulations, or commission another study based on flawed science.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I thought there was a season but could be wrong. I agree though, adjusting the dates to ease pressure would seem to help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We do have a season but in certain areas only, there are a lot of areas that the wintering herds are completely unregulated. Down here in the valley where I live the winter has been extremely mild so I have seen a lot of people heading out with ATV's and such to go riding and spending time in the hills already (plus several going up to scout the herds and find where they are wintering, not thinking that it is still early and herds are still just getting throught the winter, so they can come back quickly when they start to drop) this is awesome, go enjoy our public lands!
I am just worried and agree with others that I would actually like to see a true shed season with dates enacted so that we have something to help keep the pressure on the wintering herds to a minimum. I believe that we are probably going to see a hard winter kill up in the Gunnison basin again this year and hope that if anything good can come out of it it's that more people start to think a little more before they harass the herds (not saying that they can't be out in the hills right now as I have been out training and hiking etc plus some overnight trips recently) but just asking that they try to not disturb or stress the herds any more than they already are just to be able to post pictures to social media with piles of sheds or to make money off them.

Last edited:

elkyinzer

WKR
I’ll echo the social media sentiment, I follow various Western hunting pages on Instagram and find the whole shed hunting selfie culture just extremely bizarre. You found a freaking shed antler, whoopdy-friggin-do. But that applies to most of what’s on social media where quantity and oversharing consistently drown out actual substantive content. I've just about had it up to here and rarely even check it anymore just due to that factor alone.

That’s just an annoyance though, I think the real issue though is the buyers. My understanding is the Chinese are buying antlers by the ton and prices are really good. You can make it illegal but anytime there’s money like that involved, you’re going to run into issues whether it’s legal or not.

focker34

Lil-Rokslider
I would support a shed hunting season in all western states.

Although, I would like to see season dates set depending on winter range conditions and current weather trends.

I love shed hunting and getting out when there isn't much else to do, but I certainly see animals getting pushed around by other guys with "different" ethics than myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjack_74

FNG
As stated above a season solves this issue and not every state has one or needs one every year, I'm all for state F&G departments putting a season or closing it all together some years and doing something similar to Utah with an online course and a 5 buck permit makes sense to me to

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

that applies to most of what’s on social media where quantity and oversharing consistently drown out actual substantive content

Unfortunately this is all too true. The crap some people will throw out just to get some attention and a few 'likes' is ridiculous.

I also agree that there need to be more stringent restrictions to help protect wintering wildlife. But I think that proper repercussions in light of breaking said restrictions need to be implemented almost more-so than the restrictions themselves. I've heard of people being caught and cited before in regards to breaking shed hunting restrictions, and their mindset seems to be basically 'meh' because the consequence was obviously not harsh enough to make them learn their lesson and think twice before repeating the same actions.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great discussion gentleman. To make money off of sheds as a profit always seemed like bad math. They must have a different calculator than I do, or way better areas.
By the time I counted my fuel, boots, and time off work even at $12 a pound I couldn't make money. It's got to be for the glory is all I can assume.

Idaho actually had a shed season for years. They dumped it because they said it was unenforceable and switched over to managing just a few small winter range areas like Tex Creek and Stinking Springs. I disagree though. if they can patrol for hunters spread out across thousands of square miles during hunting season, they can certainly keep an eye on the limited winter ranges for violators.
Once guys start losing their hunting license for violating the seasons, you'd see shed pressure drop way off. Open it up in mid April or early May when the animals have left, And you could enjoy the resource with much less impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davebuech

WKR
I wish they would quit calling it shed hunting!

One of the problems is that the market will pay good money for shed antlers. There are no restrictions on quantities, no license is required or fees paid to collect em. The higher the value the antlers have the more attractive shed hunting becomes, the more frequent illegal/unethical actions take place. The lure of "easy/free money" is too hard for many to resist, especially those without jobs or regular income. It is to the point now that due to the money involved, IMO, shed collecting AKA "hunting" has become a competitive activity. Many of these "shed gatherers" are lazy and just looking for quick/easy dollar. Most everyone here know the miles one needs to cover just to find a few sheds. It's anything but easy and many are not willing to work that hard for money. As a result, the "early bird gets the worm" mentality takes effect without regard for wildlife, road conditions, etc. and some start looking even before the antlers are dropping, just to get an edge on competition. The use/abuse of OHV/ATV's is also becoming serious problem as so many looking for the quick buck are too lazy to cover the miles by foot, by spending a few dollars for gas to net possible big rewards it is much easier to drive than walk. I have seen them rut up roads in mud season that remain all year just in the hope of finding a few sheds and easy money.
As much as I hate to see more government regulation in effect, maybe it is time for a specific season for shed collecting. Waiting another month is not a big deal....or maybe even a requirement to have a shed collecting license? How about restrictions on how many pounds can be sold by any one person or how much a buyer can purchase?
In some areas of the country one needs a permit to legally gather Ginseng, mushrooms, herbs or firewood on FS property. And there are limits. Why not antlers?

Stwrt9

WKR
Honestly I don't understand why there isn't a more restrictive season to protect the wildlife from the stress of people running around until the harsh winter in that particular area is over. I feel it should be monitored just like hunting you need a permit and there is a set season and be done with it and then you can treat it just like poaching if your caught breaking the law. Bottom line is a profit is being made off those animals through the sale of their antlers. Which could almost be more valuable to the shed hunters than to actual hunters, so why should they be able to do it for free when it cost me X amount for a hunting licence(on the plus side you get lots of meat)?

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
As stated a season would go a long ways in helping this. Shed hunting has become very popular and unfortunately a few bad apples are ruining the whole bunch.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really don't see a season as working solution to the problem. Utahs ethics class has not helped. Even now with the whole state closed I saw two guys walking fence lines today. Western Wyoming has restriction until may but I often Utah trucks parked a month early just out for a walk I guess.
I think you have to go the heart of the problem which is the buying and selling. It needs some structure and those profiting need to have to reinvest some of that profit back into the states wildlife management programs

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Shed hunting has become too crowded for me to even care about going anymore. They can have at it. I prefer seclusion when I'm out in the mountains.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that's really the difficulty right. Ethically it's the worse time to be out but if you wait they are all gone. Utah is competitive no doubt. Even in my own small town there a brown gold banner in town. I don't really get it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
I don't see a season really helping. It will keep the honest people honest and the dishonest don't care. It would allow for fish and game to ticket but if your going to ticket people make it rough. Utah has already ticketed people this year for shed hunting.

I don't think that fish cops can monitor it. I have lived in Idaho and Utah my entire life. Started fishing at 6 and hunting at 13. I have been checked by fish and game a combination of 3 times. I rarely see fish and game.

The Utah ethics course is a complete joke.

Like hunting in general social media hasn't helped shed gathering. Everyone is looking for their fifteen minutes of fame by getting a bunch of thumb ups on book face or upside down butts on instagram. All you have to do is find one decent side of a elk or deer and your the greatest thing since sliced bread until someone finds a bigger one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk