Best Sub-Compact 8x32 Bino: T*FL vs UVHD?

wildcat33

WKR
I'm looking pick up a pair of sub-compact 8x32 class bins. By sub-compact Im looking for the smallest format which rules out the Zeiss SF 8x32, Swaro EL, and Nikon EDG which are similar in size to each other and a bit larger than the smallest formats.

The current lineup Im debating are the Zeiss SFL 8x30, Zeiss T*FL 8x32 (used), or Leica UV HD (used non + or open box new). NL Pure is out of my price range. Id also consider a Nikon HG 8x30 if I could find the right price, but MSRP doesnt appeal to me on that one. Im lukewarm on Meopta and Kowa unless a very good deal could be had. Not interested whatsoever in DTC oem brands (GPO, maven, etc)

Any input from those that have experience with these optics?

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Out curiosity
Why is maven out and why Luke warm on Meopta??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meostar B1 Plus 8x32 is $1200 and limited reviews online. The most in-depth are on birdforum and not positive. Multiple poor examples. I would rather just pay a few hundred more for zeiss or leica.

Aside from the fact that the UVHD+ have a design flaw that causes the hinge to stress fracture (mine were defective out of the box), my 8x32 UVHD+ were not that impressive image wise and eye relief was super short. The rolling ball effect was terrible with them and they weren’t clear edge to edge like I’m used to with Swaros. I returned them because they were defective and got a refund instead of replacement based on the poor overall performance for the price.

I really like the CL Companion 8x30’s and the Maven B3’s. I would even say the Maven B3’s are overall a better bino than the UVHD+ for a fraction of the price.

I sold my Meopta B1+ 8x32 shortly after I got them, the focus on them is kinda crappy and clunky compared to what I’m used to.

Personally I’d buy the NL’s if you’re looking for alpha tier 8x32’s, they’re not a whole lot more than what you’re going to spend on the Zeiss or Leicas if you call around and get a deal and they’re truest amazing. I couldn’t justify them since I have a bunch of other binos though so ended up with CL’s ultimately after trying a bunch and then added the Mavens too.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
I've read about some flaws on the Leica mainly related to shorter ER, but hadn't heard about the faulty hinge yet. That's unfortunate.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of used FLs this year after my search for a pair of 8x32s. I tested both of the other pairs you asked about, but only in a store setting. It’s far from an ideal way to test binos, but I knew the view from all three would be an upgrade from my Maven C 10x42, so I wanted to handle the binos and see how they fit my hands.

I tried the UVHD+ and they are a tiny pair of binos! I loved looking through and holding the larger Noctovids and the 7x35 retrovids, but the 8x32 UVHD+ felt too small in my hands. I’m not sure if the UVHD has a different form factor or just a previous generation of glass/coatings.

I also tried the SFL 8x30, but couldn’t quite get my hands comfortable with the focus knob.

The more traditional layout and size of the FL fit my hands perfectly and they have a great view. I emailed Zeiss and asked about buying some of the accessories that were missing from the box when I got them and they sent them for free and verified the serial number before I bought them.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
I bought a pair of used FLs this year after my search for a pair of 8x32s. I tested both of the other pairs you asked about, but only in a store setting. It’s far from an ideal way to test binos, but I knew the view from all three would be an upgrade from my Maven C 10x42, so I wanted to handle the binos and see how they fit my hands.

I tried the UVHD+ and they are a tiny pair of binos! I loved looking through and holding the larger Noctovids and the 7x35 retrovids, but the 8x32 UVHD+ felt too small in my hands. I’m not sure if the UVHD has a different form factor or just a previous generation of glass/coatings.

I also tried the SFL 8x30, but couldn’t quite get my hands comfortable with the focus knob.

The more traditional layout and size of the FL fit my hands perfectly and they have a great view. I emailed Zeiss and asked about buying some of the accessories that were missing from the box when I got them and they sent them for free and verified the serial number before I bought them.
The FL sounds ideal, but they are tough to come by. Where did you find them?

I have average sized hands and love my Zeiss FL 8x32. It is a gem. However, finding a used pair in “as new” condition is getting harder and harder to find. The UVHD+ is even smaller and the view is stunning for such a small package. Either is a great small travel glass.

Recently bought a Maven B3 8x30 as a Christmas Gift for a friend and was absolutely stunned by the optical quality for the price. I also own an SFL 8x40 and imagine the 8x30 is just a scaled-down version. If money is not an issue the SFL has great optics and super-smooth handing/focus, but the B3 is an incredible value. The only downside to the B3 was focused was noticeably stiffer than I like. But it is very tough to match its value.

If willing to go just a smidge larger the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 is simply superb. Each optical design has its optimum configuration and having spent time with most of HD line I feel the 8x32 is the cherry of the HDs. There was a $200 off sale a while back and I just couldn’t resist.

Last edited:

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
The FL sounds ideal, but they are tough to come by. Where did you find them?

I picked them up on eBay. But they are becoming tougher to come by!

I would also +1 everything @Spiral Horn mentioned above, it aligns with the research I did. The B.3s appear to be a great value option, and the Conquest HDs get great reviews. Good luck picking!

As a point of reference, I bought my Leica Ultravid 8x32 pre-HD binos back in 2005. They are still going strong with zero issues ever! And I use them about a 100 days a year hiking and bowhunting. And still find no reason to upgrade them….19 oz, small, very good optics for woods hunting, hiking, etc. I wear glasses and the eye relief is adequate for full field of view too.

That said I use 12yr old Swarovision EL10x42s on open country hunts. They are better for that purpose than the 8x32s.

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
I picked them up on eBay. But they are becoming tougher to come by!

I would also +1 everything @Spiral Horn mentioned above, it aligns with the research I did. The B.3s appear to be a great value option, and the Conquest HDs get great reviews. Good luck picking!
Spiral Horn is a great source of information. No biases, he speaks from actual experience, no BS.

I’ve had
Leica 8x32
Swavorski 8x32 and most recently
Maven b3 8x30

All have been top notch and not much difference between the 3 for what I need!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
As a point of reference, I bought my Leica Ultravid 8x32 pre-HD binos back in 2005. They are still going strong with zero issues ever! And I use them about a 100 days a year hiking and bow bowhunting. And still find no reason to upgrade them….19 oz, small, very good optics for woods hunting, hiking, etc. I wear glasses and the eye relief is adequate for for full field of view too.

Good to hear some positive feedback on the leica.

Tod osier

WKR
I'm looking pick up a pair of sub-compact 8x32 class bins. By sub-compact Im looking for the smallest format which rules out the Zeiss SF 8x32, Swaro EL, and Nikon EDG which are similar in size to each other and a bit larger than the smallest formats.

The current lineup Im debating are the Zeiss SFL 8x30, Zeiss T*FL 8x32 (used), or Leica UV HD (used non + or open box new). NL Pure is out of my price range. Id also consider a Nikon HG 8x30 if I could find the right price, but MSRP doesnt appeal to me on that one. Im lukewarm on Meopta and Kowa unless a very good deal could be had. Not interested whatsoever in DTC oem brands (GPO, maven, etc)

Any input from those that have experience with these optics?

I have the 8x32 T*FL and use them a lot. You do loose brightness with them, but I use them when weight is a concern and I'm not planning on absolute last or first light use. The comparison I've done most is Conquest 8x42s and they are definitely brighter than the 8x32, even with the lower quality glass of the conquest.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
I have both the Els 8 x32 and the Zeiss Fl 8x32 pick you poison they are both fantastic.
The only reason I’m not considering the EL or zeiss SF is the larger form factor. I really want something compact for my use so that rules out a few of the best options.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
I went with the SFL 8x30. They will be here next week.

FLs were not a cost effective option (high priced eBay listings). UVHD+ look nice despite the mixed reviews, I may upgrade to those if the SFLs don't work out.

Last edited: