best mountain rifle under $1,000/over $1,000

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
my vote is kimber montana mostly for weight and CRF reasons. I had multiple sako 85's and tikka t3's, none handled recoil as well as the montana.

The 84L Montana is the best of the Montana line up up to this point. The improvements over the 8400 were a nice change and I think Kimber got it right with the 84L.

The 84L Montana is the best of the Montana line up up to this point. The improvements over the 8400 were a nice change and I think Kimber got it right with the 84L.

I like mine but was a little surprised that it will fit a longer COAL in the mag than it can eject! Never had one that I had to limit my COAL based on what would eject.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
I like mine but was a little surprised that it will fit a longer COAL in the mag than it can eject! Never had one that I had to limit my COAL based on what would eject.

Really? Mine in 06 doesn't have that problem. I guess my 84M is limited a bit to what it will eject and what will fit the mag box, but it wasn't a hard problem to remedy.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 Kimber Montana's..... I like the Tikka fine, but would drop the extra coin on the Saka A7 if I was going to go that route.

New the Montana runs just over a grand, so maybe a bad choice given the $1K over/under constraints of this thread.