best mountain rifle under $1,000/over $1,000

Really hard to go wrong with any of the Tikkas, Savages, or 700's mentioned. Though I doubt I'll ever rock a factory stick again so this conversation doesn't really apply to me... ;)

Mike

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka T3 or a Sako Finnlight if you want to spend a bit more. Love my Finnlight.

Under 1K Remington TI and Tikka T3. Dont know about over 1K because when I'm spending more than that on a rifle, its not going to be made on an assembly line. ;)

I don't know if the Rem Ti is still under 1K? They're prices have really gone up in the last 5 years. I wish I would have bought one of the Ti's back when they came out. The original ones were very light. Now, they're Ti's don't weigh that much less than their regular mountain rifles with a synthetic stock. Remmy needs to work on their line-up, IMO.

ckleeves

WKR
Pretty sure ti's are around 1500.00 right now. I bought one for my wife a few years ago in 270 win and she never uses it she is always grabbing my hs precision phl in 270 wsm.

JG358

WKR
Pretty sure ti's are around 1500.00 right now. I bought one for my wife a few years ago in 270 win and she never uses it she is always grabbing my hs precision phl in 270 wsm.

I dont know what box stores sell them for or what MSRP is just the cost I was quoted last time I checked. It was under 1K.... not by much. Maybe I just know the right dealers.

Last edited:

JG358

WKR
I don't know if the Rem Ti is still under 1K? They're prices have really gone up in the last 5 years. I wish I would have bought one of the Ti's back when they came out. The original ones were very light. Now, they're Ti's don't weigh that much less than their regular mountain rifles with a synthetic stock. Remmy needs to work on their line-up, IMO.

I havent looked at specs.... what did they change on the newer ones?

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka T3, no need for over a grand save that money for a fine scope to put on your Tikka

+1 Here. I don't see the benefit, given the cost increase, of spending any more than this. And I wouldn't put a whole lot into a scope either - probably Burris Fullfield, Leupold VX I, or Vortex Diamondback. You just use it to shoot so it doesn't have to be as cyrstal clear as binos or a spotter. I'd save my money for those optics, packs, tags, gas money, etc.

While I love my Weatherby Vanguard, it's not a mountain rifle. The Tikka Lite is much better. The Remingtons shoot fine, but I've never been happy with their factory triggers. Savage is a close 2nd for me as well.

Shrek

WKR
I have been thinking about a savage lightweight hunter / custom rig. Buy the light hunter in a short action cal. and change the barrel and bolt head ( easy to do at home ) to a 7mm wsm 26" with fluting to cut the weight back down. I think you would come out with a < 6.5lb rifle with a custom grade barrel with a custom throat for $1300. I might be selling a dust collector gun to fund this.

Soon as Savage starts offering these in stainless w/syn stock I'll be right behind you. They should have offered them that way from the start.

Shrek

WKR
Soon as Savage starts offering these in stainless w/syn stock I'll be right behind you. They should have offered them that way from the start.

I wish the actions were stainless also but I am going to put an ss barrel on it and then cerakote it so it is not a big deal. The inside of the barrel is what I worry about rusting not the action. There are no after market ultralight synthetic stocks so I will live with the wood.

garrenj

FNG
Curious about what yer getting for speed with that combo?

I am getting 3032 average out of them. Seems if I bump to 58 grains I can't get them to sub 1" at 100 yards.

I have tried a few different combo's of H4831 powder but I don't seem to get much over 2900 with that. I'm pretty new to reloading so if anyone has recommendations I'm all ears. The only bullets I have tried out of it are the 150 bergers, but with the load above I can generally get 2 out of three to touch at 100 yards.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the Tika comments... almost. I like the Sako A 7 just a bit better.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I think Tikka is hands down the best lightweight and accurate rifle out there for the money.

Show me how you can beat 6.25#s, a sub MOA guarantee in a stainless synthetic rifle? You can't.
This is a $600.00 rifle that can't be beat IMHO.

There are guns out there with some of these features but not all of them.

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of tikka lovers out there eh? North of the 49 there are a lot as well, my vote is kimber montana mostly for weight and CRF reasons. I had multiple sako 85's and tikka t3's, none handled recoil as well as the montana.
seoncd to that though a sako85 finnlite would do just fine.