Best non-Tikka lightweight rifle under $1500 today?

manitou1

WKR
Browning X-Bolt.
I have had four and all were great shooters, carried well and had little tecoil due to the inflex recoil pad. Two shot about the same groups as my Tikka, two outshot the Tikka and they will be with me until my heirs get them.

OP
Newtosavage
Browning X-Bolt.
I have had four and all were great shooters, carried well and had little tecoil due to the inflex recoil pad. Two shot about the same groups as my Tikka, two outshot the Tikka and they will be with me until my heirs get them.
Can't stand the stock on the Brownings. Between the palm swell and check swell, I can't get used to them.

prm

WKR
My Barrett Fieldcraft was under $1500 when I bought it! My Kimber Montana has been excellent. 1000s of rounds through it so far. Any bugs have been worked out and it is one if two rifles I’ll never sell, the Barrett being the other.

I'm curious what folks think is the best lightweight (sub 6.5 lbs. bare) mountain rifle under $1500 today, aside from Tikka?

There have been some new players in the game lately. Howa has added some lightweight rifles. The Savage Ultralight isn't exactly new now, but it still meets the guidelines above. Weatherby and Bergara now both have sub-6.5 lb. rifles that can be found for less than $1500.

I've been eyeballing a Savage Ultralight for about a year now and most folks who have them like the way they shoot. Being a Savage gearhead, that's a plus in the column for that rifle but I've had good luck with Howas too.

What say you?

Just curious why not a Tikka? My Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor is the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned, is lightweight and doesn’t copper foul. I also have one in 308 and it’s sub MOA. Great thing about Tikkas, they shoot great in their completely stock form.

OP
Newtosavage
Just curious why not a Tikka? My Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor is the most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned, is lightweight and doesn’t copper foul. I also have one in 308 and it’s sub MOA. Great thing about Tikkas, they shoot great in their completely stock form.
I just find them boring. And too long (long action + 23" barrel). I've owned four of them, including a stainless 7mm-08 that my buddy now owns and it's a tack driver. He still wonders why I sold it to him. I don't care for closed top receivers. Call me weird.

Last edited:

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
Couldn't stand it anymore (work bonus burning a hole and wife was circling it like a vulture) so I found one of the few .308 camo Savage Ultralights that was available locally and just bought it. When I was checking out they asked if I was a 1st responder and I said if they allow "retired" 1st responders, then yes. So Academy took 10% off right on the spot. So I just got a camo Savage Ultralight in .308 for $1200. I'll take it!

Incidentally, the .308 Ultralight weighs 6.0 lbs. exactly and the 6.5CM weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz.
Good decision

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Are those things Cerakoted 4140 or 416R?
No idea. I just came across them because I’m moving towards shooting supressed full time so I’m just looking at guns that come ready to take a can.

I suppose if they aren’t ceracoated stainless then I have no interest.

z987k

WKR
No idea. I just came across them because I’m moving towards shooting supressed full time so I’m just looking at guns that come ready to take a can.

I suppose if they aren’t ceracoated stainless then I have no interest.
Ya, that's my issue as well. I like the rifle, for the same reason as you, but a 4140 barrel is something I'd never own for hunting. You can't cerakote the bore, and it does wear off.