Best non-Tikka lightweight rifle under $1500 today?

I'm curious what folks think is the best lightweight (sub 6.5 lbs. bare) mountain rifle under $1500 today, aside from Tikka?

There have been some new players in the game lately. Howa has added some lightweight rifles. The Savage Ultralight isn't exactly new now, but it still meets the guidelines above. Weatherby and Bergara now both have sub-6.5 lb. rifles that can be found for less than $1500.

I've been eyeballing a Savage Ultralight for about a year now and most folks who have them like the way they shoot. Being a Savage gearhead, that's a plus in the column for that rifle but I've had good luck with Howas too.

What say you?

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don’t pay much attention to bare rifle weights as I’m honestly not concerned by a quarter to half a pound if the gun fits me well and shoots well. That being said, I like the new Brownings that are out, specifically the suppressor ready models.

Those savages would be cool if the barrels were shorter.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I don’t pay much attention to bare rifle weights as I’m honestly not concerned by a quarter to half a pound if the gun fits me well and shoots well. That being said, I like the new Brownings that are out, specifically the suppressor ready models.

Those savages would be cool if the barrels were shorter.
Specifically which Brownings? I haven't tried to keep up with them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Specifically which Brownings? I haven't tried to keep up with them.
I literally said the supressor ready model. I guess it’s a hella canyon speed, suppressor ready.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Yes, I really like the Browning X-bolt if I'm not buying a Tikka. Mine is a stainless stalker. Great recoil pad, the stock fits me, smooth action. Lots of different X-bolt options. From my experience, which is pretty limited, the Tikkas tend to be more accurate. The Browning's do just fine for hunting.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
There's a thread on here about the Howa's, apparently they come in over advertised weight, the stock is questionable on whether it's actually carbon or composite, and doesn't have the full aluminum bedding block. Also read in another thread that a firing pin issue was pretty difficult to get parts from CS to fix.

I owned a Bergara and will never own one again unless I come across an action for dirt cheap. Actions are nice, but I personally know of 3 that had tight chambers to the extent they needed a small base/collet die for the brass to be sized enough to chamber again. Not to mention it didn't shoot worth a shit, like they're using old worn out reamers or something.

Also owned a Kimber Montana, pretty nice rifle but wasn't overly impressed with the assembly quality. I have a thread on here about fixing it up. Kimbers are also a gamble on whether you get one that shoots or not.

No hands on experience with the others but a good buddy of mine that is pretty well versed in rifle building and reloading picked up the Weatherby and says it's very nice, and shot decent out of the box. Not a huge Savage fan but most of the feedback I've seen on the ultralight, and Browning Hell's Canyon, has been positive enough I'd be optimistic about investing in one.

JFK

WKR
Not a super lightweight but Sauer 100’s are right around 6.5 lbs. I bought one earlier this year and the thing shoots. The factory stock is very stiff, not cheap feeling and the only plastic on it is the magazine. Great adjustable trigger too. Don’t see many people talking about them but they are worth a look and can be had for around $700 if you keep an eye out.

Macintosh

WKR
My brother, who is really into rifles, insists that the most accurate rifle he owns is the $275 T/C jr model .308 he bought for his kids. Essentially told me that any time the holes aren't touching at 100 yards it's his fault, not the rifles. My guess is its not a model that's consistently that good, but I feel like you really dont need to pay a lot for performance that just a few years ago was considered harder to get.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm curious what folks think is the best lightweight (sub 6.5 lbs. bare) mountain rifle under $1500 today, aside from Tikka?

There have been some new players in the game lately. Howa has added some lightweight rifles. The Savage Ultralight isn't exactly new now, but it still meets the guidelines above. Weatherby and Bergara now both have sub-6.5 lb. rifles that can be found for less than $1500.

I've been eyeballing a Savage Ultralight for about a year now and most folks who have them like the way they shoot. Being a Savage gearhead, that's a plus in the column for that rifle but I've had good luck with Howas too.

What say you?

The only actual competition for Tikka is the Sauer 100.

OP
Newtosavage
My brother, who is really into rifles, insists that the most accurate rifle he owns is the $275 T/C jr model .308 he bought for his kids. Essentially told me that any time the holes aren't touching at 100 yards it's his fault, not the rifles. My guess is its not a model that's consistently that good, but I feel like you really dont need to pay a lot for performance that just a few years ago was considered harder to get.
I agree with this. I didn't mean to imply most accurate for the reason you stated - just about all of them these days are more than capable at hunting distances.

83cj-7

WKR
Already mentioned but Kimber Hunter or Weatherby MK5 Hunter. I love the 6 lug MK5 action but I like the ergonomics on the Hunter better. I don’t like the larger 9 lug action though.

OP
Newtosavage
Couldn't stand it anymore (work bonus burning a hole and wife was circling it like a vulture) so I found one of the few .308 camo Savage Ultralights that was available locally and just bought it. When I was checking out they asked if I was a 1st responder and I said if they allow "retired" 1st responders, then yes. So Academy took 10% off right on the spot. So I just got a camo Savage Ultralight in .308 for $1200. I'll take it!

Incidentally, the .308 Ultralight weighs 6.0 lbs. exactly and the 6.5CM weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz.