Thinking about my next rifle.. (always)

Just for the sake of fun conversation, I scored a crazy deal on a Zeiss Conquest V4 3-12, ($350!) so naturally I’d love to get a new rifle to mount it to.

What I currently have: (keepers anyways, have other rifles that I’m getting rid of..)

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather MB .308, and it is wearing a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42. This is mainly my Michigan Whitetail rifle, and my backup Elk rifle.

Weatherby MK V Hunter (Kings XK7 Camo) in .300 Win Mag, with a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42. This is my “big game” rifle and I’ll be using it on an elk hunt this fall.

Winchester XPR 30-06, with a Meopta Optika5 3-15x44. This is a rifle I’ve considered getting rid of over an over, but I can’t. It just shoots too well. Remington Core Lokt 165gr gives me around 3/4 MOA groups at 100 yards. Admittedly the scope is a bit heavy, but I do like it a lot. One option is to just put the Zeiss on this rifle and sell the Meopta/move it to another gun. This gun typically comes with me to deer camp as a backup, and last year was used by a buddy who’s old Winchester 94’s scope got dropped and messed up. He didn’t end up getting a deer, but was happy to have the XPR with him in the stand.

The only rifle hunting I do really is Michigan whitetail every year. Shoot 100-250 yards tops, with most shots being 150-200.

I’m hoping to be invited back elk hunting at least every few years, and I’d also like to start exploring other western hunts, like Wyoming Pronghorn, Mule deer, etc.

I know I’ve got my bases covered, but I like guns, I like collecting guns, and I like “nerding out” on new gear, ballistics, etc.

I’d love to have another option in a neat caliber like 7mm-08, or 7mm mag, and have looked extensively at the Tikka T3x’s, and I really specifically like the Veil Wideland model. Just unsure what caliber I should get!

What other cool options are out there? What caliber should I add next?

I have 22’s covered, and am not terribly interested in .223. (Right now anyways.)

Additional info: I like to shoot suppressed. Have a couple 30 cal cans, my favorite being the SilencerCo Harvester Evo. It really quiets down the 300wm and makes the 308 sound and feel like a BB gun .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If not interested in 223 I vote 6.5cm. light recoil and lots of ammo availabilty. Match bullets also lethal on most big game. 243 or 7mm 08 could also work, it feels like a lighter recoiling cartridge that won't beat you up at the range is kind of missing from what you've said you have so far. They are great for loaning to new shooters too and as you get older it's most likely you will get sick of the recoil of the 30 cals.

Last edited:

TN2shot07

WKR
Another vote for something lighter just based on what you have listed. The Tikkas are a solid choice, if I went with one of the short action cartridges I would order it in a compact for the short barrel but I’m restocking it anyway. Nothing wrong with the veil either though if you want a ready to roll package. I’d lean 243, 25-06, or 7mm-08. No argument against the 6.5’s, I just haven’t jumped on that train

Picked up the Tikka T3X Lite Stainless 7mm-08 last year and it's been a fun one to shoot. Stacks the 120 nosler ballistic tips inside each other with little effort. Highly recommend, this is my second 7mm-08. My next gun is going to be the .257 wby as I like em fast.

Luked

WKR
I would also say 6.5CM or even 6.5PRC.
I have a 6.5CM that is the most accurate out of all of my rifles but I am really wanting a 6.5PRC

6 creedmoor or 243 for what you describe. I like the creedmoor more but if you're shooting it inside 300 yards there isn't much difference. 6.5 creedmoor next.

Problem is not many companies chamber 6 creedmoor. But i'll say seekins havak ph2 in 6 creedmoor or a 243 tikka would be my first 2 choices. Springfield waypoint chambers in 6 creed too.

OP
allstajacket
I’d also look at a 6.5 cm, either a M70 E.W. Or now that they’re available a Kimber Montana.

I’ve always been anti what I call “6.5 manbunn”

But to be honest lately the creedmoor has been slightly appealing for a light recoil flat shooting rifle. It would work fine for deer and would make a great pronghorn cartridge I would imagine. Additionally, as the kids grow up (have two, 5 and 2,) it would be a decent option for them. The 7mm-08 fits along these lines also.

I guess I get irritated at when people refer to it 6.5cm as the best cartridge ever when it definitely has its limitations!

I’ve always been anti what I call “6.5 manbunn”

But to be honest lately the creedmoor has been slightly appealing for a light recoil flat shooting rifle. It would work fine for deer and would make a great pronghorn cartridge I would imagine. Additionally, as the kids grow up (have two, 5 and 2,) it would be a decent option for them. The 7mm-08 fits along these lines also.

I guess I get irritated at when people refer to it 6.5cm as the best cartridge ever when it definitely has its limitations!

Meh. Eastern whitetail hunters insisting on a 270, 30-06, or more for deer inside 200 yards are about equal on the cartridge ignorance scale with anyone acting like 6.5 creedmoor is a ballistic wiz.

6.5 creedmoor isn't even "flat shooting". That's why i'd step down further to 6 creed / 243. Less recoil, flatter, and most hunters aren't going to be negatively impacted by the lesser barrel life. Still more than required for any deer sized game.

OP
allstajacket
Meh. Eastern whitetail hunters insisting on a 270, 30-06, or more for deer inside 200 yards are about equal on the cartridge ignorance scale with anyone acting like 6.5 creedmoor is a ballistic wiz.

6.5 creedmoor isn't even "flat shooting". That's why i'd step down further to 6 creed / 243. Less recoil, flatter, and most hunters aren't going to be negatively impacted by the lesser barrel life. Still more than required for any deer sized game.

My first deer (only a few years ago) was shot with a 30-30 at 200 yards. That was definitely pushing the abilities of the cartridge, and there was no exit wound. Hit the heart so the deer went down but managed to run 40-50 yards into some thick timber.

My .308 got my next deer at a little closer distance (probably 150) and had a great shot, great entry and exit, but the deer still ran the same distance into the same area as the other a few years prior. I’m sure if I would’ve moved the shot placement slightly it would’ve went right down, but I managed to have very little meat loss. Anyways, I’m leaning 7mm-08 as it seams like a neat cartridge!

My first deer (only a few years ago) was shot with a 30-30 at 200 yards. That was definitely pushing the abilities of the cartridge, and there was no exit wound. Hit the heart so the deer went down but managed to run 40-50 yards into some thick timber.

My .308 got my next deer at a little closer distance (probably 150) and had a great shot, great entry and exit, but the deer still ran the same distance into the same area as the other a few years prior. I’m sure if I would’ve moved the shot placement slightly it would’ve went right down, but I managed to have very little meat loss. Anyways, I’m leaning 7mm-08 as it seams like a neat cartridge!

You can shoot a broadside deer in the middle of the lungs with a 300 mag and frangible bullet and still have them run 40-50 yards. Unless you get something thats going to blow them in half, its possible they'll go 40-50 yards after being hit.

OP
allstajacket
You can shoot a broadside deer in the middle of the lungs with a 300 mag and frangible bullet and still have them run 40-50 yards. Unless you get something thats going to blow them in half, its possible they'll go 40-50 yards after being hit.

Agree, I’m definitely not complaining. I Just like an Exit wound so they’re easier to track. It wasn’t easy with the 30-30 kill, there was NO blood, and it was raining. Took me nearly 40 minutes to find the deer, even though it was within 50 yards of where I started looking. The .308 left a much nicer blood trail.

no flies on 7mm-08 idea. The 150 gr loads are basically in line with 6.5 creedmoor 140 loads for typical hunting situations. Little more recoil, fewer ammo options, less LR specific ammo, but basically the same for what it sounds like your use would be. 7mm-08 is more redundant with your 308. Shoot 150 grain 308 loads = 7mm08 for eastern whitetail purposes.

I still think 6 creedmoor or 243 is the best choice from a performance and joy to shoot standpoint for what you described.